Now it’s on to ice sculpture. You might see plenty of these at special events at least at the small scale. But large ice sculptures exist as well as you see above with the ice buildings in Harbin’s International Ice and Snow Festival in China. It has increased in size over the years and has involved talented artists all over the world with more impressive techniques and pieces to show. But you have other events associated with ice sculptures as well. In the United States, you have the World Ice Art Championships in Fairbanks, Alaska which attracts nearly 100 sculptors from around the world each year to carve ice blocks in front of 45,000 spectators. In Canada, there’s the Quebec City Winter Carnival which is regarded as one of the best in the world. And in Japan, we have the Sapporo Winter Carnival. In a small Swedish village, there’s an ice hotel that’s reconstructed each year. Anyway, for your reading pleasure, I give you another treasury of ice creations. Enjoy.
- An ice antelope can always seem majestic.
Yes, an antelope may resemble a deer. But it has horns which stay on a male for life.
2. This angel wishes all peace on earth and good will toward men.
I guess this is for Christmas. Because angels are usually seen as yuletide motifs for the holidays.
3. Seems like we have an ice statue of Santa or some wizard.
Actually this is supposed to be Dede Moroz or Grandfather Frost. He’s basically the Russian equivalent to Santa by the way.
4. How about a couple of flying fish on ice?
Yes, these animals exist by the way. Though strange, this pair looks quite graceful.
5. A harp still needs played even if it’s falling apart.
Well, there’s strings coming off it. But the guy still keeps strumming along.
6. You’d almost think this mask was a real face.
Okay, it’s an ice mask. But you have to admire the artistry on the features.
7. Bet you’ve never seen an ice ship like this before.
Well, it’s a wooden ship made out of ice. It may look awesome but you wouldn’t want to be on one.
8. Try sitting on this ice bench.
Though it may look stunning, sitting on it will give you a wet ass. Because ice is basically frozen water.
9. Surely you’d be impressed by this lovely ice ballerina.
Includes a violin and harp. Wonder if this is for a party or something. Lovely.
10. You might be enchanted by this ice fish.
This takes the notion of a frozen fish to a whole new level. But an ice fish like this is only meant for decoration.
11. Anyone from Mexico might delight in this ice display.
I’m sure this wasn’t carved in Mexico. But the image is on the Mexican flag. The eagle with the snake is based on Aztec legend.
12. Care for some tiki fun on ice?
Consists of palm trees and tiki statues. By the way, tiki statues are seen as religious icons in Polynesian culture.
13. Perhaps you might like this fancy ice parasol.
It’s made in a ice lace pattern. Still, looks incredibly delicate that you wouldn’t want to touch it.
14. Anyone would think this ice castle is magical in a fairy tale.
Yes, this is indeed amazing. And it’s lit in a wide array of colors.
15. Even sea monsters need to find love once in awhile.
Yes, this is indeed touching when you look at it. And you can’t help but love these sea monsters nuzzling each other.
16. This set of wheels is entirely frozen.
This is a car made almost entirely of ice. And it’s one you’d imagine Queen Elsa driving around in her kingdom.
17. You’ll see unicorns charging out of this ice ball.
Seems like something you’d see on top of a building. But it’s stunning nonetheless.
18. Seems like there’s a train coming around the corner.
Well, it’s a train coming out of a tunnel. And even the smoke on this is frozen solid ice.
19. Come see a knight in shining armor slay the dreaded dragon.
Yes, it’s quite stunning and dramatic. But I’m sure many of you have seen such scenes before.
20. What ice festival wouldn’t be without a couple of penguins?
They’re even surrounded by a wall of ice. But in Antarctica, they’re usually huddled around open ice.
21. You can even have a majestic Greek god encased in ice.
Not sure which one of the gods it’s supposed to be. But he looks fabulous among the columns.
22. Gaze upon this Chinese lion.
This is said to be by Ai Wewei. He’s a controversial artist in China since he’s not cool with politics there.
23. You can’t see anything more graceful than an icy mermaid.
Though she seems to have a rather weird fish tail. Nevertheless, it’s quite lovely.
24. Hang the American flag proud on this bald eagle in ice.
Well, it’s an eagle along with the guys who raised the flag at Iwo Jima. A quality American ice sculpture if there ever was one.
25. The centaur can always strum her harp.
In Greek mythology, centaurs were all guys. Just so you know. Still, this is pretty.
26. Sometimes flying on a bird puts you over the moon.
The bird’s wings are spread out in the likeness of the crescent moon. And the woman’s hair is swept up.
27. Bet you’d shudder around this ferocious shark.
Yes, that’s an ice shark. And yes, it looks quite awesome to many, particularly Jaws fans.
28. A mounted archer can always strike at any moment.
Sure arrows may not be as bad as bullets. But being shot by one can be a real pain in the ass. Or possibly kill you.
29. Seems like the mast on this ship has sprouted branches.
Yes, it seems quite unusual. But you get a lot of pieces like this at art festivals, especially if it pertains to ice.
30. Of course, you can’t express love without a couple of flamingos.
However, flamingos can sometimes change mates if there are plenty available. But at least these frozen birds aren’t of the tacky garden variety.
31. Sometimes a goat can leap over great things.
To be fair, goats aren’t seen as attractive creatures. But this looks pretty cool.
32. Perhaps this icy parrot will suit your fancy.
This is for a party, I guess. Though the parrot certainly stands out in the ice.
33. Everyone’s got to love a couple of dancing penguins.
One of them even wears a tuxedo with a bow tie. So adorable.
34. Care to build a snowman on ice?
So this is an ice snowman. Would that make him an ice man? Perhaps we’ll never know.
35. There’s no bones about this dino ice skeleton.
This is from a snow and ice event in Latvia. And I’m positive that’s probably a T-Rex skeleton on ice.
36. An ice dragon looks stunning during the night.
Of course, it’s lit up as many of these ice sculptures are. But it’s nonetheless spectacular.
37. Might want to check out the slopes sometime this winter.
This is an ice ski slope with trees, snow, and skiers. And yes, it’s supported by ice columns.
38. Anyone would want these herald angels singing on Christmas.
Well, these two angels are suited for Christmas displays. One has a horn. The other has a dove.
39. An ice display can leave so much in the rich details.
This is from Fairbanks, Alaska. And yes, it certainly depicts the kind of winter wonderland even Queen Elsa couldn’t dream of.
40. At weddings, an icy heart carriage might be a sure bet.
Well, a heart carriage can symbolize love. But an icy heart isn’t what you’d want in a spouse. Still, this is incredibly beautiful.
41. Sometimes a bird must be set free when it learns to fly.
This one has a centaur as well as flames in the back. It’s from either China or Japan. Not sure where.
42. I’m sure nobody has ever seen an ice tower like this before.
This is from the Harbin Snow and Ice Festival in China. And it’s supposed to be the world’s tallest ice tower. Because everything has to be big in China.
43. An icy skyscraper always looks better in lights.
This is supposed to be China’s largest bank by the way. And yes, it’s surely spectacular.
44. You’d swear you’ve never seen an ice palace like this before.
Actually that’s an ice replica of Haigia Sophia which is in Istanbul, Turkey. But it’s nonetheless stunning to see in lights.
45. I guess let the best bird win in this contest.
Yes, it’s another eagle ice sculpture. Because they’re majestic, fierce, and elegant to behold even in a fight.
46. A dancer always seems like a swan on the ice.
This is from a winter festival in Lake Louise Canada. And yes, she certainly has great form.
47. Whoever’s down will be raised once more.
Particularly by a bigger and stronger guy apparently. Though it kind of seems like an abduction to me.
48. How about a round on an icy carousel?
This one has animals and people all over it. Still, it’s spectacularly amazing.
49. Seems like this cat can’t reach the bird in the birdbath.
Guess someone doesn’t exercise some self control. Still, keep your cat indoors since they can kill birds outside.
50. Perhaps you might want a pool table in your ice basement.
Yes, this is an ice pool table. And it seems like you can play pool on it on cold days.
51. At night you can see a wolf howling at the moon.
Okay, this might not be true. But you have to love the moon and stars on this one.
52. An ice jaguar sports a certain elegance in its spots.
Yes, it surely seems like something you’d see in a photo. And it’s certainly fierce as it’s beautiful.
53. Some may want to ride on a majestic bird if they could.
Though this might depict a woman fighting with a vulture. Still, it’s quite stunning to look at.
54. Perhaps you want to prepare for the Winter Olympics.
Unless you’re Russia of course. Because of excessive doping. Still, this was probably made for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver back in 2010.
55. Just try balancing an umbrella on your feet for once.
That seems like next to impossible. But somehow someone can pull this off in an ice sculpture.
56. In this day in age you might want to go with this ice smart phone.
Of course, you can’t really use this since it’s made of ice. But it surely seems high tech.
57. In case you must answer the call of nature, we have this for you.
Yes, it’s an ice sculpture of a toilet. So unless you want people to see what you crapped, I suggest you not use it.
58. Amazing how an angel can catch a star from the sky.
Though she certainly seems to make it all look easy. Also, love her graceful folding wings.
59. Of course, I couldn’t leave out an ice nativity scene for the holiday season.
Sure this one may have columns instead of a barn. But it’s nonetheless heavenly for such a holy day like Christmas.
60. Every ice festival always needs a gigantic palace.
This is from the Harbin Snow and Ice Festival in China. And yes, it’s a magnificent with a bright purple roof. Love it.