Finally, I get to the last of my annual snow and ice posts with ice sculptures. Unlike the snow sculptures that you might see at a winter carnival, you see these frozen creations during all kinds of occasions. You see them at weddings, dinners, and other extravagant events due to their limited lifetime. Though the ice sculptures you normally see may only be carved from a single ice block. But the ones you can see at winter festivals can range from your single block ice creations to massive ice palaces. During the winter, you’ll find plenty of them on display for festivals and competitions all over the world. So for your reading pleasure, I give you another assortment of artistic ice creations. Enjoy.
- There are many ways to carve a drop.
This one uses a number of ice blocks. Yet, it results in an amazing display under the lights.
2. An angel always looks graceful within the ice.
Yet, the angel appears rather transparent. So she’s rather hard to see.
3. A princess will always join her prince.
This is for a wedding. But notice neither wear crowns.
4. A harp plays sweet music.
But you won’t get a sound from this one. Since it’s made from ice. Though it’s so pretty.
5. An icy nativity scene is perfect for the Christmas season.
This one just consists of Mary and Joseph with Jesus. But you have to love the star on top.
6. Frozen butterflies look resplendent in the snow.
Their wings may be transparent. Buy their grace and beauty are undeniable.
7. Care to sit at a fancy piano?
This one has a rather intricate design. Even comes with its own frozen candelabra.
8. A musician can always play to the moon at night.
This one place the flute. Yet, this ice sculpture is among the more abstract variety.
9. Nothing exudes more might than the majestic eagle.
This eagle has a fish in its hand. So it can feed itself and its family, if it has one.
10. Bet you can’t walk in this shoe.
Actually you can probably walk in an Adidas shoe just fine. But this one is certifiably frozen.
11. A frozen mermaid is an uncommon sight.
Well, mermaids are often a common motif in ice sculpture. But when it comes to winter, they don’t come to mind.
12. A fox must pass its knowledge to the cub.
I mean foxes have fluffy tails. Though I’m not sure if they swim.
13. If you like Beauty and the Beast, you might like this icy display.
Though it’s not exactly what you’d see in the Disney movie. Then again, it may not be a perfect rendition of it.
14. Nobody could resist a frozen ducky.
The ducky even rests on the waves. Guess this might be for a baby’s first birthday.
15. A diamond ring shimmers in the ice.
Now this is definitely for a wedding. While it rests on a pillow that’s obviously too small.
16. 2 doves always meet at the heart.
Yes, this is another wedding ice sculpture. But you have to love the heart on this.
17. “As shepherds watch their flocks by night…”
This may be part of a nativity display. Yet, the shepherd holds a lamb in his arms.
18. A fish jumps out of the frozen water.
Wonder if the fish will bite on a hook, If so, its days are over.
19. Would you like to come in?
Sorry, but this is just an icy doorway. The kind you’d see on Elsa’s castle.
20. The cougar always crouches in the winter snow.
Well, cougars go by a lot of different names if you know anything about sports mascots. Still, it looks amazing in ice.
21. This icy elephant is of mammoth proportions.
Though elephant doesn’t seem like it would do well in snowy weather. Still, it’s really cool.
22. Hope you can brave yourself against the dreaded dragon.
This one even has weapons. So you better watch out and hope you get out alive.
23. An icy goalie isn’t one to be messed with.
The goalie even has his own net behind him. Though he’s frozen as he catches the puck.
24. A serpent dragon can wreak a fiery blaze.
This is a Chinese style dragon. Though frozen, it’s an iconic image in Chinese lore.
25. Would you want to ride on a frozen motorcycle?
This is from an exhibition in Hamburg, Germany. And no, you can’t ride it. Since it’s made from ice.
26. Perhaps this frozen Buddha would enlighten you.
I’m sure this was featured at the Harbin Snow and Ice Festival in China. Though he wears a rather elaborate hat.
27. This ice sculpture appears licensed to kill.
You can guess this was for a James Bond themed New Year’s party. So someone wanted to welcome the new year with a bang.
28. In love, 2 hearts beat as one.
These interlocking hearts are for weddings. Yet, it sends such a touching statement, doesn’t it?
29. With his sword, the king exudes his power.
Wonder if he’s supposed to be King Arthur or any other legendary figure. While he stands in front of an ice castle.
30. You’ll find a small table under an elaborate arch.
Seems like something straight out of a fantasy. There are even flowers and leaves on top.
31. You’d think an ice like this was from prehistoric times.
This is a T-Rex ice sculpture. Perfect for any party at Jurassic Park, which I wouldn’t recommend for obvious reasons.
32. Didn’t know a boat can sail in frozen waters.
This is a lateen-rigged ship which is easier to navigate. Though this seems more like a yacht than a wooden ship.
33. A boy shares some ice cream with his dog.
Let’s just hope that it’s not chocolate ice cream. Because chocolate is poison to dogs.
34. Harry Potter flies away from three-headed dog.
Of course, this scene wasn’t in the first Harry Potter book. But it’s a rather iconic image.
35. At weddings, two rings interlock.
Yes, this is another wedding ice sculpture. You can guess the one with the diamond belongs to the bride.
36. A Inuit has come across some creatures.
Though I’d leave once I’d see a bear. And yes, it’s intended to be an Arctic scene.
37. The bear stands on an icy ledge.
Here the grizzly tries to catch a salmon. While a bare tree stands behind.
38. The merman always tends to the fish.
You can see he’s supposed to be under the sea. Yet, he’s frozen in ice.
39. An icy phoenix rises out of the ashes.
And like a rose, it exists only temporary. But instead of wilting, it melts.
40. Have you heard the call of frozen elk?
It’s even lit in blue to show emphasis. Still, you have to love the antlers.
41. Want anything from McDonald’s?
Seems healthier than what McDonald’s actually makes. Mostly because it’s made out of ice.
42. That’s no moon. It’s a space station.
Best you hope this isn’t operational. But it’s capable of blowing up Alderaan.
43. A centaur joins woodland creatures for tea.
Here he pours for the rabbit and squirrel. Though he might aim wrong.
44. All aboard on the Ice Train Express.
This train engine chugs through the snow. While it’s lit with pink and blue from below.
45. Are you in the mood for comedy or tragedy?
This must be massive since it takes up many ice blocks. All to salute the theater.
46. Perhaps you’d like to see Africa on ice.
This one has ice renditions of animals from the African savannah. While you won’t find much ice in Africa.
47. Don’t be afraid to chase your dreams.
This one has a Native American running towards a dream catcher. While an eagle stands proud on top.
48. Inside this bottle, you’ll find a huge ship.
This looks quite clever. Though you have to wonder how they got the boat in the bottle.
49. You’d be pressed to go west.
This won 1st prize at the St. Paul Winter Carnival. And yes, it’s a tribute to westward expansion in the United States.
50. “It is your destiny.”
Here we have Luke Skywalker confronting Darth Vader. Though I’m not sure which Star Wars movie this is from.
51. Didn’t know they had Batman on ice.
Well, an ice sculpture of Batman, anyway. But unlike the Dark Knight of Gotham, he will melt.
52. Queen Elsa assumes her icy glory.
I had to include at least one ice sculpture from Frozen. Since Queen Elsa has ice powers.
53. The horse moves wood up the hill.
This is from a winter festival in Japan. But that horse is surely sturdy.
54. This little penguin has taken to alpine skiing.
Though I’m not sure where it could ski in the Antarctic. But it’s quite cute.
55. You’d swear this was a celebration of love.
In a way, it kind of is. But it’s too intricate for a wedding as you can see.
56. Would you like anything from the bar?
It’s a barrel bar on ice. And yes, it seems you can actually gets drinks from there.
57. You know this rose is under a spell.
This is the ice rendition of the rose from Beauty and the Beast. Thankfully, the flower is fake.
58. Should he follow the eagle or the deer?
This one seems to have a Native American on some sort of vision quest. And he’s not sure what animal he should go with.
59. Perhaps you might want to listen to some music.
This is an ice phonograph. But don’t play any records on it since you can see it doesn’t have much inside.
60. The nutcracker always stands at attention.
Though you’re more familiar with the ballet by this guy’s name. Yet, you can’t actually crack nuts with it since it’s made of ice.