Since I went to Saint Vincent College, I decided to dress in my alma mater’s attire. Here I am with a Saint Vincent College football hat as well as my March of the Bearcats jacket, polo, and basketball T-shirt. Yes, it’s a Division III school, but it’s in the spirit of the article. After all, this is about school spirit anyway.
In late August, it’s not unusual to see college kids moving into their dorms on campus with freshman doing so for the first time. However, it’s very likely that the college athletes have already moved back on campus and are preparing for another season, particularly football players. And if they’re on a Division I team, then they’re probably under a lot of pressure to do their best that some of them may not have the time to do any actual schoolwork. Let’s just say going to a Division I school on a full athletic scholarship isn’t nearly what it’s cracked up to be. And that’s nearly getting into how the NCAA profits from these kids tremendously despite that they don’t even pay them a dime. Anyway, in America, college sports are big business and sometimes it’s not unusual for people to feel more loyalty to their college teams than their pro teams. It may be because they went to the school themselves like my dad with Slippery Rock or me with Saint Vincent. Sometimes it might be because the college is within a closer geographic proximity which I think is the case with many WVU and Crimson Tide fans since West Virginia and Alabama don’t have any Big 4 pro sports teams within their state. Not to mention, there are more college teams than pro teams. Yet, these colleges do have their fans and some of them can be outright crazy. And that’s where I come in to show you some of the craziest college fans decked in their ridiculous game day finest so you can see for yourself. Because although I may not be a big sports fan, I do know that college sports are very popular that people would go to these ridiculous lengths to support their team. So for your college reading pleasure, I give you a treasure trove of wacky college sports fans to enjoy. Most of them will be from Division I schools, naturally.
- Seems like Dumbledore or Gandalf the White made a presence at Happy Valley.
I think he was wearing this during a white out PSU game. But the wizard beard and body paint is just the same.
2. This South Florida woman is totally pumped to see her beloved Bulls.
And she has a horn hat as well as painted her whole body to prove it. Okay, she’s wearing a camisole, but still. This is over the top.
3. At the University of Michigan, all this guy needs is body paint, a helmet, and shoulder pads to support his Wolverines.
Yes, this guy is in full regalia as we know it. Still, he doesn’t have a nice message for Ohio State at any rate.
4. Introducing the Pitt Penguin.
Okay, he’s not a player for the NHL Pittsburgh Penguins. He’s just a fan of the Pitt Panthers in a penguin suit. Yes, I know it looks ridiculous.
5. These Happy Valley bunnies have come out on a winter’s day to support their Nittnay Lions.
Now this has to be PSU school spirit at its finest. Doesn’t hurt that some of these guys are clad in pink bunny pajama suits. Love it.
6. The biggest WVU fans always go with their full body paint on.
WVU fans are a particular lot in the college landscape. The Mountaineer football team has a very passionate fanbase. It’s also said that a lot of fans have taken up the practice of couch burning.
7. This Montana fan has got his war paint on.
And he seems to have rather ornate shoulder pads to match. Like how he has the hand print on his face.
8. Here we have a Florida State Seminole fan in full war bonnet attire with a Northern Illinois husky admirer.
Just for the record, I don’t condone the Seminole wearing the war bonnet and fully understand that it’s highly offensive to Native Americans. However, since this is a college fan post, his ridiculous war bonnet attire is so over the top that I just couldn’t resist leaving it out.
9. A fan from the University of Kansas can’t be fully dressed without a feather headdress.
Kansas U’s mascot is the Jayhawk. And yes, this is fairly offensive to Native Americans but equally outrageous. Yet, I think it’s golden.
10. This Pitt girl bares her midriff even when it’s snowing outside.
Yeah, I know bare midriffs aren’t a great idea in snowy weather. But I do like her Panther hat and makeup though.
11. To this guy from the University of New Hampshire, the Wildcats are always #1 in hockey.
Doesn’t hurt that he’s wearing a puck hat to boot. Also he painted his face white and light blue.
12. At Louisiana State, a mother always tries to foster her love for the Tigers to her daughter.
However, I’m not sure going to an LSU game topless in body paint is a good idea. Because body paint is no substitute for a shirt in my opinion.
13. At the University of South Carolina, this man dons his chicken hat with pride.
South Carolina’s mascot is the game cock which is a chicken once used in the now illegal practice of cockfighting. Yes, you read that right. Don’t ask me, that’s how they call it.
14. This Arkansas fan is a true hog’s head in the making.
The University of Arkansas’s mascot is a razorback which is an aggressive wild pig. And the rap pigs get, razorbacks can be downright nasty.
15. This Temple fan dons a red sombrero to support the Owls.
Contrary to the sombrero, Temple is a college in Philadelphia. Also, owls are cool, by the way.
16. These University of Cincinnati fans are decked with all the bells and whistles.
Well, they have red and black shoulder pads along with crazy hats. But they’ll do for this fan post. Also, Cinci’s mascot is a bearcat which isn’t a fierce creature by any stretch.
17. This Central Florida fan shows his pride for the Knights by painting himself in gold.
Like the navy blue touches, blue wig, and pom poms. This guy has great talent. Must be a repressed art major.
18. Have you ever met a Florida Gator head?
Now this is the kind of Florida Gator we all should be rooting for. And I favor this one over the obnoxious Tim Tebow any day of the week. Love it.
19. At Mississippi State University, someone seems to take “Respect the Bell” to a whole new level.
He also tends to take “more cowbell” to a whole new level as well. Since he’s dressed like one. Wonder how he sits and goes to the bathroom.
20. This Louisville fan wears his Cardinal pride on his face.
That is a great make up job if I ever saw one. Almost looks like a cardinal face. Awesome.
21. Check out this man’s Iowa suit.
Well, it’s a hawk suit and striped coveralls. And it’s tacky as can be. But at least he’s in the Iowa spirit of things.
22. On game day, LSU Tiger fans go all out.
LSU fans tend to be a little crazier college sports fans than some of the other schools for some reason. But I like the purple kilt in this.
23. These Kansas State fans want to scare the death out of their enemies on the stands.
Yes, they may be wearing purple skull heads. But they’re probably as harmless as can be. They’re just supporting their Wildcats at the game.
24. He may only wear a barrel but at the University of Wyoming, he’s having a barrel of fun.
Yes, there’s a University of Wyoming and their team is the Cowboys. Yet, their color scheme is different from the NFL Dallas team. So there’s nothing to worry about.
25. At the VCU basketball game, these Ram fans go with clown wigs and beads.
The “Save Shaka Smart” on their foam hands refers to the team’s head coach at the time who led the Rams to a winning season as well as the NCAA Men’s Final Four. However, he didn’t stay for long and is now coaching for the University of Texas.
26. Hope you’re not scared by this Virginia Tech clown.
Then again, since he can induce nightmares, I think he might make a better VT mascot than the one they have now. Still pretty scary, though.
27. At Virginia Commonwealth University, these guys are pumped for the Rowdy Rams.
I hope my sister likes these guys since they’re from her school in Richmond. One of them is even dressed like Hulk Hogan and another guy is wearing a kilt.
28. Iowa Hawk couples who see games together stay together.
And yes, they dress up in ridiculous costumes together. Like the woman’s beak and braids which I think are perfect.
29. Who knew they crowdsurfed in the Navy?
Well, the military branch academies do compete in the NCAA Div. I athletics. But I’m not sure if they count as colleges. Nevertheless, love the blue hair.
30. Oklahoma Sooner fans dress in full clown attire for their team.
Yes, I know they look like a couple of clowns in pajamas. But I’ve seen fans in more ridiculous outfits than that. You’ll probably find this amusing though.
31. At Tennessee, even the cafeteria chefs come out to support their Volunteers.
Doesn’t hurt that he has a Tennessee apron and chef’s hat to match. But among all the orange, he certainly stands out.
32. Once a Texas Longhorn man, always a Texas Longhorn man.
He even has a Longhorn hat with players’ signatures on it. Must be a real fan to go that far.
33. This Notre Dame fan goes all out to show pride for his Fightin’ Irish.
Not sure what to think about having Winnie the Pooh in his crotch area. But he wears a nice Irish flag suit.
34. At WVU, this woman is willing to go full Mountaineer on game day.
After all, she’s dressed in buckskin attire, complete with coonskin cap and fringes. She even carries a stick for good measure.
35. These Florida Vikings seem a little disappointed.
But at least they dressed in crocheted Viking hats with beards. Looks ridiculous but should keep them warm.
36. From Texas A&M, I give you the Aggie hat.
Like how she used small plush cows for it along with signs. So clever.
37. This Volunteer fan paints himself with orange and white on game day.
Yes, he’s from Tennessee. And yes he wanted his paint job to match his hair. Because he’s cheering for the Volunteers.
38. At Kansas State, this man will do anything to see his Wildcats win.
Even if it means, resorting to crazy hair styles and coming to games with a cow skull. Yes, he’s willing to try anything.
39. At South Florida, you’re bound to find some creative fans during the tailgate parties.
Of course, these guys consist of two men in sparkly body paint an a guy in a grass skirt and pom pom bra. Yes, you have fans like that.
40. This guy goes for the Miami Canes all the way.
And he’s decked in Miami Hurricane colors like a true South Floridian. Even has glasses to match.
41. Didn’t know Dorothy, Thing 1, and Thing 2 were huge Boise State fans.
Odd, since I’d imagine Dorothy to support a college team in Kansas since she’s from there. As for Thing 1 and Thing 2, I think they’re both guys. But to each his own.
42. These Oregon Ducks fans will rock and roll all night on game day.
They even have the Kiss faces with green and yellow makeup. And they’re wearing matching wigs, too.
43. These Texas Longhorn women wear their team spirit on their hair.
Yes, that’s Texas Longhorn hair. And yes, you’d more or less expect in in Dr. Seuss. But at least it’s in the spirit of things.
44. This Kansas Jayhawks fan is a bit blue.
Okay, so his team lost. Big deal. But I do like how he’s wearing a Jayhawk outfit though.
45. As Darth Vader said at Texas, “May the horns be with you.”
Okay, he may not have said “May the Force be with you” in Star Wars. But it’s in the spirit.
46. At Ohio State, Big Nut is a self-professed member of the 6th Man Club.
Of course, Ohio State is better known for football than basketball. But it’s a great picture that I couldn’t resist.
47. Stripes and spots really stand out for this University of Georgia fan.
Yes, I know it looks tacky. But what does he care? He’s there to support his Bulldogs.
48. This Crimson Tide fan is always an Alabama boy at heart.
Yes, that’s a guy in football gear and coveralls. Don’t ask me how he got that idea. But he makes it work.
49. A big foam cowboy hat will surely stand out at Oregon.
Sure it makes you look like an idiot. But at least his hat matches with his jacket. I’ll give him that.
50. At the University of Miami, these two guys show their spirit other fans can’t even fathom.
Yes, one has a horned ibis helmet while the other has a Bane mask. But they have their flags and banners on full display.
51. This Boston College fan wears his hat to show his Eagle pride.
Now that hat is just so unreal. Just looks like a small carousel. Someone must have too much time on his hands.
52. For the Florida State Seminoles, this woman dresses in full buckskin attire.
Yes, she loves the Florida State Seminoles so much that she’s willing to practice cultural appropriation to show her team spirit. Yes, Native Americans, I give you permission to facepalm at this time. Yes, it’s very offensive and something you shouldn’t do at a football game.
53. These Boise fans come dressed in their finest feathered hats.
Of course, one is dressed as a pimp which is kind of insulting to blacks. But that’s beside the point. Like the other guy’s shoulder pads though.
54. These Ohio State Buckeye fans know how to show pride in the stands.
Love how all are in their Buckeye regalia for the game. One of them even has a buckeye necklace. Love it.
55. These cuddly Baylor Bears have come to watch a basketball game.
Helps that Baylor’s mascot is a bear. Still, the faces are cuddly but it’s hard to find a guy in an animal costume adorable. But this isn’t bad.
56. Hey, it’s the guys from Duck Dynasty at Saint Louis.
Okay, these are people dressed up like characters from Duck Dynasty. Like the one in the balloon hat the best.
57. Seems like a VCU basketball game is one fit for a Pharaoh.
And he’s in the King Tut headdress to match his stripped sleeves to boot. Wonder what my sister will think about this.
58. Missouri University always tries to project a friendly face.
These are members of the Missouri band dressed up as Sesame Street characters in the stands. Yes, they seem to be having a good time.
59. This Alabama fan knows that his Crimson Tide are the champs.
And champions the Crimson Tide certainly are. Mostly because the BCS system is rigged in their favor.
60. At Gonzaga, this guy goes all the way for his Bulldogs.
And yes, he’s in a clown and cape attire for good measure. Kind of wish there was a March Madness fan tournament where the more outrageous costume wins the round.
61. At Oregon State, these nuns will pray for God’s wrath on anyone who doesn’t support their team.
Yes, they’re guys dressed as nuns. But as a Catholic, I don’t find their outfits offensive. In fact, I think they’re quite clever to tell you the truth.
62. You can’t go to an Oregon Ducks game without a Oregon clam bra.
Yeah, I know what that girl is thinking about sitting next to a guy dressed like that. But I think the Oregon shell bra is quite clever and hilarious.
63. Hey, is there a smurf in the crowd?
This is a scene from Duke where the fans paint themselves with blue body paint. I know it’s ridiculous but it’s a tradition. Don’t ask me.
64. This University Washington fan is trying to take a picture from a king’s eye view.
Guess someone wants a good view of the Huskies. Even in a crown and gold mask which seems more suitable for Mardi Gras than anything.
65. Hope these LSU fans are able to cash in but it seems unlikely.
Yes, these are guys dressed as pimps. I don’t know why they do that. But they look ridiculous enough that they go on this post.
66. This Alabama fan is willing to roll in the Tide.
Like how the guy is wearing a Tide box hat with 2 rolls of toilet paper. Seems quite simple compared to the other fans on this post.
67. Yes, there’s no doubt that Oregon fans are bananas.
These two even dress in Oregon banana suits for the Ducks. Yes, I know it defies some degree of logic.
68. Today, I introduce you to none other than Florida Gator Man.
He even comes with a long gator tail to show his prowess. And to slap around fans from the other team. He never fails.
69. Oregon Ducks should know better than mess with Oregon Vader.
Because he really doesn’t take it kindly when the Ducks lose. Players might want to stay on his good side.
70. Didn’t know the Joker was a Georgia Bulldogs fan.
However, I wouldn’t want to sit near the Joker in the stands. Has a reputation for being pretty insane.
71. So this is what it’s like to be a Volunteer in a pool of Gators.
So Florida was the home team in this game against Tennessee? Makes sense but the Gator fans don’t seem too happy.
72. At Pitt, some fans live the blue and gold.
And yes, he seems to be wanting to lead the crowd into the Pitt Panthers spirit. Even if he looks totally ridiculous for the occasion.
73. At LSU, this man goes for the full Tiger suit.
Yes, the outfit looks totally hideous and not something you’d want to wear on the street. But this guy is supporting his team. Don’t judge him.
74. As an LSU fan, this woman takes being a Tiger quite literally.
Yes, she’s dressed and painted to look like an LSU Tiger. Yes, it’s insane. But at least she’s wearing a bra.
75. At North Carolina University, these fans decided to go Tar Heel blue.
Yes, North Carolina’s mascot is a Tar Heel which looks like a ram. However, it does look quite intimidating and isn’t lame.
76. This Notre Dame fan is proud that he’s Fightin’ Irish.
However, he might want to tone down the sleazy leprechaun look. Because it may offensive to some of my Irish viewers.
77. When it comes to supporting the Oregon Ducks, this guy shows his pride dressed in a hula skirt and flower bra.
Yes, I know he’s dressed like that when it’s probably not ideal to do so. But he certainly stands out in the crowd.
78. FSU man comes to Florida State to inspire Seminole pride.
Finally, a Florida State man on this post who’s not dressed to offend Native Americans. He’s a superhero instead.
79. Never fear, Seminole Man is here.
Yes, that’s another Florida State superhero fan in body paint. But his initials on his chest are SN for Seminole.
80. At Boise State, you can’t leave out the blue haired Elvis impersonators.
Guess they get quite an audience. Like their orange scarves and glasses along with their white suits.
81. Now these guys just roll with the Alabama Crimson Tide.
So they have toilet paper rolls on their helmets and are wearing large red Tide boxes. Love it.
82. At Pitt, you’re bound to find a few strange hats out there.
This guy seems to have a Pitt Panther on an aircraft carrier. Hate to sit behind him or stand.
83. At Georgia Tech, Yellow Jackets fans may seem more inclined to yellow.
Apparently, that seems to be the case. Not sure if seeing them in real life hurts the eyes.
84. These Georgia Bulldogs fans seem to come quite spiked at the shoulders.
Well, they have spikes in their shoulder pads. But I’d really not want to sit next to any of them even on a good day.
85. These people always know how to support their Trojans at USC.
Funny, I hadn’t had California college fans on here yet. But while one is in a swimsuit, the other is in hoplite armor.
86. At USC, the girls are said to deck themselves in red and gold on game day.
At least the red body paint isn’t as harmful on the skin as a tanning booth. But the one in gold seems like she might have jaundice.
87. A college football fan always tries to foster their love of the game to the next generation.
But whether I approve of this Tennessee Volunteers fan and his sons wearing gangster outfits is another matter. Still, they seem rather well dressed despite the dad resembling a creamcicle.
88. This man knows how to show off his WVU Mountaineer pride without burning a couch.
Well, he’s dressed like a Mountaineer with a raccoon tail and coveralls. He also has light up glasses, too.
89. At Happy Valley, when in doubt, go with blue hair.
Seems like what this girl has done in the stands at a Penn State game. She’s even wearing beads.
90. This Rowdy Rams fan knows how to make an entrance.
He’s even wearing golden ram horns at a VCU basket ball game. Very fitting at that school.
91. Among America’s finest in blue, this bear is true fan among them.
Luckily for them, it’s a guy in a bear costume. But I love how he seems to be cheering on in the stands.
92. At Missou, this Tiger fan goes for the ultimate body paint tribute.
Is it a bit too much? Yes. Will he look ridiculous? Yes. Does he have artistic talent? Yes.
93. At the University of Arizona, this Wildcat fan is a real hotdog.
Not sure why anyone would dress as a hotdog to support their college team. But this person seems to have a great costume nonetheless.
94. This USC fan seems to be a real pinhead.
Because he has a hat with a lot of USC pins on it. And you can barely see the hat other than the plume on top.
95. For some reason University of Nebraska fans tend to wear corn hats and hold up one of their shoes.
Nebraska’s team is the Huskers. And yes, some of them wear corn heads which I think is ridiculous. But the shoe thing speaks for itself.
96. This Stanford fan will not be mocked for supporting his team.
Even if he’s wearing big red glasses and a blue clown wig. And did I say he’s a drummer?
97. These Uncle Sam Navy fans will knock your socks off.
Yes, they’re in Uncle Sam suits with boxing gloves. But They seem to have a really good time nonetheless.
98. At Syracuse, it doesn’t hurt to dress like an orange in the stands.
Sure it might make you look like an idiot. But hey, it’s not that fans come to the games to look good, especially when they wear outrageous outfits.
99. At the University of Utah, the Pumpkin head man comes out to support the Utes.
Probably something this guy does for Halloween. Wouldn’t want to sit behind him in the stands though.
100. At Colorado University, this guy will do what it takes to show his Buffalo pride.
I think this guy might be dressed as a character from the Halo video game. But I’m not sure. But I like the horns though.
Wow- these fans are something else!