During my first year in college, my mom took pictures of me and my sister outside to pose in photos with the dog, Diamond. My mom would later use one of the black and white pictures for our Christmas card that year.
For many, there’s no place like home during the holiday season. Since how else will you get those presents? Okay, I’m kidding. Still, Christmas is a time we spend with our families or our in-laws if you’re my dad. Seriously, my parents never had any debate on whose relatives to visit during the holidays since it was always my mom’s relatives. Because most of my dad’s relatives were either dead or lived far away along with being distantly related. Besides, when my Grandma C was alive, we’d take her with us. Anyway, when it comes to the holidays, we expect to have rosy memories with nice little photos to go with them. But human nature being what it is, things don’t always go that way. After all, I’ve managed to do 4 of these posts thanks to Awkward Family Photos. Anyway, for your reading pleasure, I give you another assortment of crazy Christmas memories thanks to Awkward Family Photos. Enjoy.
- You can’t have a Christmas portrait without including the family dog.
Though I don’t know about this arrangement. Seriously, the guy’s disembodied head is just weird.
2. It always helps to pose wearing your ugly sweater.
Though they don’t seem to smile in the foreground. In fact, their faces in the background seems to represent happier times.
3. Don’t forget to pose with the lapdogs.
You can see that these people are stinking rich as hell. And I’m sure they don’t look after the dogs themselves. Talk about excess.
4. There are some ugly sweaters more embarrassing than others.
The guy just feels like, “Holy shit, my whole family’s going to see me in this in our Christmas card. God, I hope our kids don’t see this someday.”
5. Apparently, this fly on the wall has a camera.
You can see that nobody wants to pose for the photo here. Cue the guy whose head you can’t see.
6. There’s always someone in the family who doesn’t smile.
Apparently, they didn’t have photoshop back then. So a cutout of Dad’s smile was included.
7. “At least I didn’t get that ugly cat sweater.”
Indeed, the cat shirts are ugly. But the dark haired girl is greatly embarrassed.
8. These kids celebrate Christmas on the streets.
This family did a Jersey Shore themed Christmas card portrait with their kids. Don’t ask.
9. And that’s one on the nose.
Well, the kid received a new pair of boxing gloves. So what do you expect?
10. Always mind the shadows.
The woman on the left seems like she’s evil incarnate and about to chase children with an axe. The other two may just be her minions.
11. The first Christmas since the lobotomy is always the hardest.
Okay, I know this is kind of mean. But I have to admit that the boy looks like a zombie for some reason.
12. I think Dad might want to avoid the local bar scene for awhile.
I mean the guy has 2 black eyes, I had to invent something. Still, the baby’s angry look is utterly priceless.
13. You’re never too old to see Santa Claus.
Actually, you can as you see with these middle-aged women. Whereas, Santa is like, “This doesn’t seem part of my job description.”
14. Since ugly sweaters have become popular, many take selfies wearing them.
Those are supposed to be 3 deer humping. Also, how old is this guy? Cause he looks like a teenager.
15. “Did I just throw something?”
It’s definitely the kid on the left. Also, what kind of parent makes their kids pose with a utility heater? Seriously, what the hell?
16. Apparently, the visit to Santa didn’t go as expected.
The kid looks pretty glum since he probably didn’t want to be there. While the Santa looks pretty shady, especially with those glasses.
17. “Look out, frisbee!”
Yet, the family seems quite oblivious to the situation with the dad kind of falling asleep. Not something you’d want in a Christmas card.
18. “Goalie gloves? Oh, you shouldn’t have.”
I think the gloves were a joke gift. In any case, she didn’t find it funny.
19. Don’t be afraid to get your feet in the water.
I know this is for a Christmas card. Yet, the kids just want to be as far from the parents as possible.
20. The family that dresses together stays together.
But white turtlenecks? Seriously, that’s kind of tacky.
21. That present seems oddly strategically placed.
That present is just as big as the kid. Wonder what’s in it that makes one want to open it.
22. “Mom likes you best.”
The little boy just can’t seem to smile for the camera. Though he enviously looks at his brother who his parents see as practically perfect in every way.
23. “Quick get in the photo!”
Apparently, she didn’t get in the picture in time. While a guy just looks into his phone. Seriously, they could’ve just took a selfie or get Jessie’s boyfriend to take the picture.
24. “Smile for the camera, kiddos.”
From Awkward Family Photos: “My sister and I thought it might be a good idea to have our kids’ photos taken as a Christmas present for my mom. With two hungry, tired newborn babies and a bored 3 year old, it was quite possibly the worst day of our lives. This was the best pic we could get of all three of them.”
25. When Santa freaks the baby out so much he pees his pants.
From Awkward Family Photos: “My youngest son peed all over Santa at the moment this picture was being taken, and Santa had some ‘choice words’ at that moment too. Meanwhile, my oldest son doesn’t know where a wristwatch goes.”
26. Timmy seems very proud of his ugly Christmas sweater this year.
So they have sweater like that in child size? Seriously, the boy’s grandma will not be amused. His grandpa on the other hand…
27. The holidays are a time to be merry.
Yet, this family seems quite depressed for some reason. Guess you can’t have a merry Christmas every year.
28. When your Christmas card picture goes totally wrong.
Seems like everyone is doing their own thing in this picture. Then again, it’s quite difficult to get children to sit still.
29. No child is ever too young for parents to embarrass.
Doesn’t help that the dad has no idea how to pose at the fireplace. While the girl doesn’t seem to be having it.
30. When you and your relatives get the same sports bra for Christmas.
Well, this is certainly awkward. Also, who the hell thinks a bra as a Christmas present is a good idea?
31. Perhaps the jammie pose wasn’t a good idea.
Most of the time, the dad wears long johns. Yet, he shouldn’t have put his hand between his legs.
32. Talk about falling flat on your face.
Yet, her sister smiles and holds her giant ornament for the camera. Acting as if nothing had happened.
33. “A Rough Rider BB Gun? Just what I always wanted.”
This is from A Christmas Story. And yes, Mom and Randy are worried about Ralphie shooting his eye out.
34. When the cork pops at the exact wrong moment.
Yes, that hit him right in the eye. Hope he can explain his shiner on New Years.
35. There’s a reason why men shouldn’t do Christmas cards.
From Awkward Family Photos: “My wife left the Christmas cards to me. She designed the front, but didn’t know about the back until all 50+ cards were shipped.”
36. There’s no better Christmas party than a solo party.
Yes, she photoshopped pictures of herself into one room. Kind of pathetic, actually.
37. Christmas is always the happiest time of year.
Wonder if this couple is spending their last Christmas together. Since the woman holding the doll doesn’t seem too pleased in this picture.
38. This year’s Christmas card theme: The Grinch.
Though I’m not sure if the dad makes a convincing Grinch. Like the hairdos.
39. When your parents want you to settle down.
Yeah, you can guess she has no man and no job. Of course, my parents will probably give me books like this sometime soon.
40. “But, Grandma, I don’t want to play Little Red Riding Hood.”
Wait until you see her brother dressed as the wolf. Seriously, you don’t want to venture into a dark forest in that.
41. Now that doesn’t seem like responsible parenting.
From Awkward Family Photos: “This is a photo of my brother’s family. We were trying to get a nice Christmas card photo, and my brother was getting rid of his beer so it wouldn’t be in the picture. He wasn’t fast enough.”
42. “Didn’t they ask you not to wear your Hulk shirt?”
That doesn’t seem appropriate for a family Christmas photo. But Uncle Larry owns a comic book store and doesn’t seem to care.
43. Wonder what Justin Timberlake got in his Christmas present.
This was back when he was in ‘NSYNC. Now he just looks ridiculous. While his present seems to resemble box of wine.
44. When your family makes an ornament of you suffering in the snow.
That’s not something you put in a Christmas ornament. Wonder how that girl’s putting up with that.
45. When your Christmas photo gets a rude surprise.
From Awkward Family Photos: “We took the kids to take pictures with Santa. Needless to say we were shocked as we scrolled through the photos and saw our daughter’s middle finger up with her head turned and smiling.”
46. Hope you had a better Christmas than this family.
Yes, this is another Christmas Story card shot. One of the kids wears a pink bunny outfit.
47. Apparently, someone looked into Hannibal Lecter’s fridge.
Don’t worry, those aren’t human remains. They’re just reserved for humans.
48. Unfortunately, Susie’s visit with Santa did not go well.
While little Petey has peed his pants. Indeed, it’s not unusual for kids to be afraid of Santa.
49. “Now, Dylan, we don’t clutch our crotches in the picture.”
From Awkward Family Photos: “Siblings Xmas photo circa 1980. I’m the one grabbing my crotch. This is the picture my parents chose to display.”
50. Sometimes it’s best to keep the dogs as far apart as possible.
Since they’re basically humping in front of everyone to their dismay. Because dogs don’t care about privacy and photo ops.
51. Keep in mind when making signs that spacing is important.
Because you get signs like this. By the way, that’s supposed to be “wise men” not “semen.”
52. Someone is scared of the Krampus.
From Awkward Family Photos: “This year a local costume shop was offering Krampus photos if you bring your own camera. Not much advertising, so no line when we arrived, just a guy in a suit and this lovely setup. My son is 5 and decided he wasn’t into taking a photo — no surprise — so he just look bummed out the whole time. Works for me.”
53. They seem to start so young, do they?
Sophie may only be a few months old. But she already knows some ways of expressing herself, particularly in her disgust.
54. Rosie always comes prepared on Christmas.
Since she’s hung an abnormally large Christmas stocking. Since she wants a lot of stuff this year.
55. Apparently, someone isn’t shy about where those presents really come from.
So someone got the presents from Target. Though that’s not what you’re supposed to write on a present.
56. It’s going to be a dark Christmas indeed.
From Awkward Family Photos: “Merry Christmas from your friendly, neighborhood mall goths. 2005.”
57. “No, I don’t want to sit on your lap, Santa.”
From Awkward Family Photos: “We took my daughter to get her yearly photo with Santa and when Santa asked what she’d like for Christmas she said a ‘pink’ doll. He couldn’t hear her color choice and she then very politely stuck her middle finger up and shouted ‘pink, like this!’ She had on pink fingernail polish at the time.”
58. Christmas always brings in warm smiles.
Indeed, only one of the girls is smiling for the photo. The others, not so much.
59. Hope you have a Grinch-free holidays.
This is another Grinch Christmas card. Notice how they didn’t quite remove the makeup in the other picture.
60. When your nose runs, it just won’t stop.
Someone give Jimmy a Kleenex. Cause that’s just plain gross.
61. Always make a holiday entrance in lights.
From Awkward Family Photos: “A couple of years ago my daughter had surgery on both of her legs over Christmas break. Tired of being cooped up in the house she decided last minute she wanted to go to a Christmas party with her church youth group. We scrambled for ideas for the costume competition and settled on her being a ballerina from The Nutcracker (her sister went as a nutcracker). This was taken midway through the party when I’m pretty sure she was exhausted and maybe the pain meds started wearing off. Either way, her friends decided to make her a bit more festive and this is the end result.”
62. There are Thank You notes and there’s this.
From Awkward Family Photos: “My husband’s uncle didn’t like one of the gifts we got him for Christmas so he sent it back to us with this letter. I don’t think we’ll get him anything at all next year.”
63. Uh, those aren’t exactly Christmas socks.
More like 420 socks. If you don’t know what that is, Google it and be astonished by the term.
64. “Dad, for God’s sake, get a shirt on.”
From Awkward Family Photos: “Before our son left for the Navy we decided to take one last family vacation. Hawaii seemed perfect, however our 13-year-old daughter was less than pleased the entire trip and refused to wear shorts or anything else weather appropriate. My husband insisted on a family photo and this was the best we could do.”
65. Why not celebrate all the holidays on Christmas?
From Awkward Family Photos: “For our annual Christmas card one year, my dad decided it would be a good idea to showcase ALL of the holidays. Sancho the dog is Arbor Day.”
66. Husbands, whatever you do don’t give your wife a vacuum for Christmas.
Because it’s guaranteed that she won’t like it. Seriously, just don’t.
67. “Here, take your screaming kid off from me.”
From Awkward Family Photos: “This is me with Santa in 1975. I can’t tell who is more unhappy, me or him.”
68. “Please don’t put me on his lap!”
From Awkward Family Photos: “My 4 year old son Jack had been asking to meet Santa. However, when we got to the mall he confessed he was nervous. When it was our turn he really didn’t want to at all, if you can’t tell.”
69. Amy knows a bad Santa when she sees one.
From Awkward Family Photos: “We dug this gem up recently. None of us realized how creepy the Santa was except our baby sister. We still aren’t sure where the camera actually was.”
70. “Sorry, Al, but nobody’s going along with it.”
From Awkward Family Photos: Ant Man “This portrait was taken at my family’s 2010 Christmas celebration, when we gathered from all over the USA. The guy in the ant costume is my husband. Respecting the industriousness and work ethic of the European Wood Ant, he believes everyone should emulate ants for the forthcoming year. He is the only person I know who celebrates this way.”
Pretty funny! I have been in many awkward family photos!