It is often said that funerals are more meant for the living than the deceased since it involves saying goodbye to a loved one. Of course, this year, I had to attend my grandfather’s funeral on the week of my birthday back in January. Now while it’s hard to deal with his loss for me and anyone else in my family, his death wasn’t much of a shock since he was 89 years old. Nevertheless, funerals are often big business since death is an inevitable part of the human existence. I mean sooner or later we’re all going to die. So we might as well get used to it. Funerals are a ritual in which we celebrate a recently dead person’s life before we send them on their way to the great beyond. Oftentimes this would involve embalming the person’s body and sticking them in a ludicrously expensive box known as a casket or coffin. For the next few days that body is on display for a viewing until just before the funeral in which they’re often shipped away to a place of worship and later the cemetery and six feet under. Normally a coffin is a long rectangular (or hexagonal) wooden (or metal) box which often contains a cloth liner and a pillow. Yet, there are some custom coffins out there which can be a little creative, which is where I come in. So for your reading pleasure, I give you an assortment of crazy coffins you’ll probably never see at anyone’s funeral. Enjoy.
- If your late nana always wanted to take a cruise but couldn’t, you might want to bury her in this.
There is a place in Ghana where they make custom made coffins like this. I guess this is for someone who worked on a cruise ship.
2. With a coffin like this, your dead pilot can reach the heavens in no time.
So what if it doesn’t actually fly. It’s just perfect for that one co-pilot on a flight to that great destination in the sky.
3. For a departed ballerina, a slipper casket will do.
Might be for Nina from Black Swan after she fatally stabbed herself. But it’s more likely for a dance teacher or choreographer.
4. Seems like John was a snooker man.
Because the balls here are all one color. Had he played pool, he would’ve been in more trouble a lot earlier.
5. Looks like this casket is bent over.
It’s actually a sitting coffin designed by surrealist Rene Magritte. You know him for his freaky paintings with the guy’s head behind an apple.
6. If you’re in a casket like this, it’s always hammer time.
That or it’s a perfect sendoff for a someone who was a real tool. Still, you don’t want to nail it in too hard.
7. Now this is a perfect send off for a real mother hen.
This is weird looking chicken. But I guess the deceased was a farmer. Though you can’t count them until they hatch.
8. This pink fish coffin is designed for those who let the big one get away.
Well, I guess there are pink fish in Africa. Still, talk about a fish out of water.
9. Of course, these coffins can give you the “fun” in funeral.
These one stand up and have faces on them. Not sure if they help ease the grieving process.
10. Your Uncle Stan may not be able to take his hot rod with him, but this is the next best thing.
I guess this casket didn’t come cheap. Then again, none of these do.
11. I’m guessing this was custom made for a woman.
Because it has boobs on it. Still, women have been buried in regular caskets for like ever.
12. For a funeral in Aspen, may I recommend an Alpine sendoff.
Well, this doesn’t seem too expensive. Just put the corpse in a bag and tie them to a sled with skis.
13. Now poor Charlie is literally in the jaws of death.
Yes, this is a shark coffin. I know what you’re thinking. But come on, I had to include one of these on my post.
14. Seems like this casket is someone’s key for the afterlife.
Though you’d be press to find a door it can unlock. Yet, it’s quite clever and simpler than some of the other designs.
15. A fancy car coffin should send you to that high end club in the sky.
Yes, there are coffins of cars, too. And this one’s windows are lined to give the dead person privacy.
16. There’s nothing like one last smoke before final departure.
Ever want to guess what killed this person. I think I have an idea. I mean it’s shaped like a cigarette so it’s practically obvious.
17. Before you go to the great beyond, remember to give us a call.
Turns out this Blackberry coffin has its own cover. Though the deceased is never calling back.
18. You’d find this casket rather reflective.
Well, it’s made from mirrors. Then again, light might bounce off of it if it’s a particularly sunny day.
19. How about be buried in a fancy eco-coffin?
These are cardboard coffins that disintegrate with the corpse over time. And they come in a variety of patterns.
20. If you’re on the highway to hell, why not have flames on your casket?
Yes, it certainly looks badass. Yet, you’d have to wonder who’d want to be buried in this.
21. Seems like fins are sticking out.
Actually the shark fins are part of the casket. Gives a more badass touch so to speak.
22. A Nintendo fan wouldn’t leave without their controls.
Sure the controls won’t work. But that doesn’t matter where this guy’s going.
23. He always wanted to go out with a bang.
Let’s hope that whatever this coffin looks like didn’t get him there. Because we all know what guns do to people.
24. How about you take your final trip in a convertible?
Well, you may not be able to get dates in it. Unless they happen to be among the choirs of angels.
25. You can say Brad lit up everyone’s lives.
That or he was a renowned electrician. Then again, even electricians will eventually burn out.
26. This eagle casket will certainly send your loved one soaring.
I have to admit, it has really nice feathers. Still, it’s more of a totem figure than anything.
27. For this deceased, it’s all 7s.
I guess this guy never had this much luck at a slot machine. Because no one ever does.
28. I guess who’s ever in there was a real basket case.
This is a wicker coffin and yes, it’s said to be eco friendly. Wonder if the Israelites put a dead Moses in one and sent him down the river. Oh, wait, they were in the desert. But it would’ve been an appropriate funeral for him.
29. If you’re in this coffin, chances are you’ll meet the Doctor at another time.
Well, I’m sure Doctor Who fans would want to be buried in this. Hope they don’t run into any Daleks along the way.
30. Your loved one will be camping forever in this one.
After all, people did camp in such trailers back in the day. And the windows have striped curtains.
31. Guess this woman is doing a solo on someone’s casket.
Well, it’s shaped like a large guitar. Yet, it’s a perfect sendoff for any well-known rock star.
32. Perhaps you might want a perfect picture of the afterlife.
This is a Canon. I’m sure it doesn’t work. But it certainly looks state of the art.
33. Send off your dead loved one in a casket of luxury.
By the way, this is what Michael Jackson’s coffin looked like. I’m sure it didn’t come cheap.
34. A boat motor coffin is perfect for whatever floats your boat.
Why a motor? Doesn’t make sense to me. Also does it float when you put it on the water?
35. A glass coffin always makes death transparent.
For some reason, I find the glass coffin idea kind of creepy. Must be due to Snow White, I guess.
36. If you want to make a statement, get buried in neon.
Now that’s my kind of coffin. Love the metallic stripes on it. So pretty.
37. Seems like a late DJ can drop a few beats.
Yet, I’m sure the club in the sky will have a very good selection. In fact, many of the musicians themselves are there.
38. Who’s said that a coffin should fit one when this fits 3?
There’s actually a sad story behind this one. So I won’t recall it. But yes, these do exist.
39. If you want a custom made coffin, this seems like a good fit.
Seems more like a containment chamber than a coffer. But hey, to each his own.
40. With this coffin, you can play video games for all eternity.
I’m sure plenty of people would want that. Yet, how can you play video games if you’re dead?
41. Instead of just a box, how about add a box kite?
After all, death should be a time when one should fly. Because death is always forever.
42. Perhaps it’s best to bury him the way they found him.
I guess they have a crime scene coffin, too. Not sure if that’s right. But it looks pretty funny.
43. For those who love beer, it’s an honor to be buried in a Pabst blue label.
Hope this person didn’t die from liver cirrhosis. Because alcoholism is a major problem right now.
44. This coffin was made for a real NASCAR sendoff.
Yet, if you want the real thing, make sure it crashes and burns into another coffin just like it. Not sure if that’s possible though.
45. This Twix coffin was built for 2.
Because Twix come in packs of 2. Hope you can get the picture here.
46. Lie in this coffin and nobody will forget you.
This is another Ghana coffin. Notice that it’s more in a traditional style.
47. You’d almost think this coffin was somebody’s dream house.
Well, sort of. But it certainly has a nice roof and porch to it. Love it.
48. This guy must’ve been a real monkey wrench back in his day.
Well, at least that one was easier to make than the hammer. But I wonder how you’d bury it.
49. Nothing makes a great send off than lying in a flamboyant lizard.
Well, if you can’t get buried in a dinosaur, then this must be the next best thing. But it’s still pretty cool.
50. Now this is how you pay tribute to an American hero.
Too bad the military just sticks with regular wooden coffins and draped flags. This seems more appropriate.
51. A dead piano player has to lie in this classy coffin.
This one even has keys on the side. Sure they don’t work, but it’s quite grand.
52. Looks like this coffin has received a lot of signage.
Though signing one’s casket isn’t usually a funerary tradition. Then again, to each his own.
53. An ocean lover would certainly would like to lie in this squid.
Then again, they’s probably prefer fish. But this seems like it can float one’s boat.
54. How about the porcelain treatment?
It’s just a wooden box with porcelain designs. Seems more appropriate for a china closet than 6 feet under.
55. This Nikon coffin is very state of the art.
Even resembles a real camera. May not take pretty pictures. But doesn’t look half bad.
56. Any last concessions?
I mean it’s a concession stand casket. But Quaker is the only brand I recognize.
57. How about a call back with this Nokia coffin?
This one even has a video screen. And I also hear it’s rather indestructible, too.
58. Ever wish you can be buried in your yacht? Now you can.
Well, sort of. Doesn’t quite resemble a yacht. But it’ll probably cost you an arm and a leg.
59. Bet you’re sure where this train car is going to take you.
Well, it more or less resembles a passenger car, not an engine. Because I couldn’t find the train engine. But this works.
60. Wonder how well this coffins projects this person’s life.
Then again, it seems this person worked at a movie theater. Though the reels don’t have film.
61. Seems like the fine wine has gone to vinegar in this casket.
Still, it’s kind of strange to have a bottle in the cask. Like the guy is a bottle.
62. He who’s buried in the remote controls all.
And this is for a Philips DVD player. All right, but you can’t push the buttons.
63. If you can’t be buried in your luxury ride, this luxury coffin will do.
Sure it might be real nice on the inside. But the only trip this thing will take you is 6 feet under.
64. Never thought you could be buried in a vise.
After all, a vise isn’t among the cool tools out there. Still, I wonder if it has any adjustments.
65. Wouldn’t necessarily call it a walkman. More like a lie-man.
Well, it’s in the shape of a walkman which people haven’t used for years. It’s kind of like an obsolete mp3 player.
66. Imagine yourself lying dead inside this scary lobster.
Well, that’s a gruesome lobster coffin. Definitely don’t want to be buried in that.
67. You’ll probably burn being buried in a red hot chili pepper.
You’d think this place in Ghana would make coffins of just about anything. Not surprised by this.
68. If you’re holy, you’d might want a coffin of biblical proportions.
Even has gold leaf on the pages and title. Just like a Bible should. But you’ll only find a body in this one.
69. In this coffin, you can write your own eternity.
Heard they have one that’s specifically for her. As if women haven’t been using these for decades.
70. Perhaps you might opt for a Venetian sendoff.
Because in Venice, they travel through canal boats since a lot of their streets are waterways. Though don’t ask for a gondola to sing for you there.
71. I guess this guy lying here was a bit of an old timer.
After all, it’s the kind of car you’d see on Downton Abbey. Still, whoever’s in that coffin better be old.
72. This gives a whole new meaning to “one foot in the grave.”
And it seems to be a Nike sneaker in this case. Even has its own laces.
73. The iDie brings the latest in funerary technology.
Something tells me that Steve Jobs was buried in this. I mean he invented the thing.
74. Now this coffin appears as pretty as a peacock.
Well, it certainly has a vivid feather train. And the man who made it is very proud of himself.
75. This turtle coffin takes the slow course to the cemetery.
Though you have to admire the shell shades on this one. Colors really go together.
76. How about a beer coffin by the bottle?
Guess this is a Ghana brand. Yet, “Club Beer” is hardly an original name if you ask me.
77. This coffin seems to have money all over it.
Guess this will be Donald Trump’s coffin when he dies. Because money seems to be among the few things that matter to him.
78. Uh, isn’t that bag a bit too large for carry-on luggage.
Caption: “Student Kirsten stands next to a coffin looking like a travel bag in a museum in Kassel, central Germany, Thursday, June 9, 2005. The exhibition called “crazy coffins” contains 16 different coffins and is open from June 9 to September 4.”
79. You’ve heard of rolling in Benjamins. How about lying in them?
Yes, this coffin is a stack of money. Only meant for the 1% who basically take it from the rest of us day in and day out.
80. A fallen deer hunter should always receive this special treatment.
Bet my neighbors will get a kick out of this. It even includes camo coffin liner.
81. May you lie in your final resting spot well grilled to perfection.
Now this’ll make your next summer barbeque an awkward experience. But I think it’s quite amusing.
82. Sometimes one might want to go with a more concept coffin design.
Basically it says that one’s deceased loved one was basically like leftover restaurant food. Come on, that totally is styrofoam.
83. Even in death you should always put your best foot forward.
This one is a more manly shoe. And it has been shine you can see yourself in it.
84. Hop aboard this plane for great luxury seating arrangements.
Too bad it only sits one. But at least the pink lining goes with the blue paint.
85. Perhaps you shouldn’t mind lying exposed sometimes.
Not sure why they have a coffin like this. Still, you can open it behind the boobs.
86. A dead fisherman should be sent off in this big beauty.
Yes, it’s my third fish coffin on this post. And yes, it’s pink. But it a white stripe on its belly.
87. How’d you like to be in this bottle of Coca Cola?
It even stands up on its own, too. Anyway, wouldn’t want to be in there.
88. This Hello Kitty coffin is a rather girly delight.
Actually it’s kind of creepy. I mean Hello Kitty is for little girls. Little girls stuff shouldn’t be on coffins.
89. For a majestic soul, you might want to lie in this lion coffin.
This one seems to take a lot of craftsmanship. Check out the detail on that mane.
90. This coffin was brought to you by Ghana Air.
Yes, I had to include this one. Because that’s where a lot of these outrageous coffins were made.
91. If you’re in Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, try this coffin for size.
Bob must’ve been a die hard Beatles fan to be buried in this coffin. Yet, 2 of the guys on the side are still alive.
92. With this Viking boat coffin, you can give your loved one a send off fit for a warrior.
Just make sure you set it on fire as you set it on the water. Because that’s what happens at a Viking funeral.
93. How’d you like to be buried in a bottle of Jack Daniels?
Bet that would be fine with people who’d eventually die from Jack Daniels. Like Frank Sinatra for instance.
94. Well, since your funeral is a final sendoff, you might as well go with this.
Sure it depicts Da Vinci’s Last Supper. But c’mon, it’s a Renaissance masterpiece for God’s sake.
95. May this Tupperware coffin always keep your remains fresh.
After all, Hannibal Lecter has given these good reviews on Amazon. Okay, I’m getting a little too weird here.
96. This Panasonic coffin can always capture the moment.
Well, it would certainly give you a moment you’d remember. Because most coffins aren’t shaped like cameras at all.
97. Be buried in a way that’s fitting to any Starfleet officer.
Notice that it’s yellow for a command officer. Because redshirt bodies are normally left behind on the planet.
98. Seems like someone was murdered in here.
Actually that’s part of the casket. I know someone has a very sick sense of humor.
99. Seems like this nurse has had her last shot.
And they’re apparently burying her in a hypodermic needle. Quite fitting if you ask me.
100. You can easily sit on this casket if you want to.
It’s made to resemble a bench. Even has a leather lid you can sit on. Imagine that.