In some areas during the spring, summer, and fall, you might see a hot air balloon or two effortlessly floating in the sky. Though you may not see them often in the sky, you might see them in decorations and in many postcard worthy pictures like the one above. Still, these lighter than air aircraft consist of a large envelope bag containing heated air which makes it buoyant, usually with an open flame. Invented by the Mongolfier brothers in the 1780s, the hot air balloon was the first successful human-carrying flight technology with the first manned flight taking place in 1783 Paris. Though unmanned ones have existed in China since the 3 Kingdoms era. Today modern hot air balloons are mainly used for advertising and recreation. Yet, they can fly at extremely high altitudes and long distances if need be. Unlike other aircraft, hot air balloons can come in various shapes, sizes, and colors. There are even hot air balloon festivals from around the world which can include races, evening “night glows,” rides, and other activities. But here, I bring you a treasure trove of these fabulous flying machines for your unique reading pleasure.
- You’d almost think this balloon is out of this world.
Though the space shuttle seems quite out of place among balloons. Yet, it’s quite awesome to look at.
2. “I tawt I taw a puddy tat.”
You can guess that this balloon has attributes of Tweety Bird. Though you’d probably never saw him up that high before.
3. A balloon like this is reserved for high flying celebrations.
Must be honoring someone or some establishment’s 100th birthday. Yet, I don’t think the candles add up.
4. Now that’s what I call a fly ball.
Okay, “fly ball” is a baseball term and this is a football balloon. Still, football season’s coming up soon.
5. There’s something magical about this castle in the air.
This is for Disneyland. Guess they have their own hot air balloon festival for the tourists.
6. Never thought I’d see a perching bird that huge.
Don’t worry, it’s just a hot air balloon. Not the result of a nuclear power plant accident. So just relax.
7. How about a nice cold pint in the sky?
Yes, apparently, they have beer shaped hot air balloons. But I suppose this is for an advertiser.
8. Watch our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ ascend into the heavens.
May not be like the lauded paintings from the Renaissance. But it’s close enough. And kind of hilarious.
9. Who says that pigs don’t fly?
Though the wings are quite small on this one. Yet, I like the cool shades.
10. Since it’s the Trump administration, I’d have to add a zebra.
The zebras were a bunch of people in costumes in La Paz, Bolivia to calm down traffic. Yet, this kind of resembles one of them.
11. A bouquet of tulips always looks stunning in the air.
Sure they’re not real. But you can’t help but admire them from hundreds of feet. Guess these are for spring.
12. Hope this blue clown can put a smile on your face.
On second thought, that’s kind of creepy. Don’t know why we have clowns stuff like this.
13. Nobody can resist this cute balloon penguin.
Looks a little sad. Still, it’s so adorable that you’d want to hug it and keep it for your very own.
14. The cactus looks as if it’s about to get high right now.
Well, it’s wearing sunglasses. But I’d watch the arms if I were you.
15. Seems like this little bee is quite flighty.
After all, this bee is about as sweet as honey. Seeing it fluttering in the sky is an absolute joy.
16. Wells Fargo sure enjoy their piggy banks.
So much so that they were involved in a scandal pertaining to savings accounts. Though you have to love the hearts on its cheeks.
17. Wonder how this shoe house will get off the ground.
This is perhaps a rendition of the “Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe.” But in this case, it’s a Timberland.
18. A star-spangled balloon never fails to please.
It’s blue with white stars on top. Yet, the rest of it consists of red and white checks.
19. Seems like you can find this happy Jack in a box.
Well, it’s a jack-in-the-box. Though it’s not as creepy as some of the real things.
20. Tesco is the supermarket with the great large shopping carts in the sky.
Well, that’s kind of clever. Yet, I’m sure this isn’t a for a US chain store. Because I’ve never heard of the company.
21. You’d almost think you can fly when you’re on this balloon.
It’s supposed to depict Disney’s Peter Pan. Though considered a classic, it’s one of my least favorite Disney movies.
22. There’s a no more American hot air balloon than one of Uncle Sam.
This one has an Uncle Sam face and hat. But at least he seems happy to take to the skies.
23. This one of a kind hot rod is powered only through hot air.
Yes, you can have hot air balloons of cool stuff like this. Though you’d have to use a lot of canvas or nylon.
24. How about a balloon with a more prehistoric flair?
This T-Rex in the sky doesn’t really look like much. Yet, aerial photography isn’t always the best.
25. I’m sure you’ll have it easy getting this Humpty Dumpty over a wall.
Even if it’s Trump’s wall which would do absolutely nothing to keep undocumented immigrants out. But this is cute.
26. Tonight, I hear you can watch a cow jump over the moon.
This is from another nursery rhyme called “Hey Diddle Diddle.” Let’s just say its lines make no sense whatsoever.
27. You’d almost think this hot air balloon came from outer space.
Well, at least the default shape is perfect for the alien head. Hope it doesn’t land in Roswell, New Mexico.
28. This cute little clownfish may not be Nemo but it’ll do.
This one seems to have a little curious grin on its face. Yet it seems to take sailing the skies like swimming in the ocean.
29. These sky carrots apparently belong in their own patch.
Looks like we have a lovely bunch of nylon carrots. Too bad they’ll be devoured by rabbit balloons later.
30. You might find this hot air balloon quite finger lickin’ good.
Yes, there’s KFC hot air balloon, too. Yet, whatever’s in it won’t be good for your blood vessels. I guarantee it.
31. A Lisa Frank hot air balloon shows your girly rainbow pride.
Man, I loved Lisa Frank when I was a kid. Still, this has enough rainbow and glitter to spare.
32. Apparently, this balloon is filled with the luck of the Irish.
Well, it’s a shamrock balloon. So it’s perfect for flying over your local Saint Patrick’s Day parade.
33. A windmill hot air balloon has a fine country touch.
Seems like this one’s from the Netherlands. Mostly because the blades have the Dutch flag. Also, it’s a windmill.
34. With this balloon, the stars and stripes surely fly.
Yes, that’s a big hot air balloon. But at least it has all the stars and stripes.
35. Never though a house in the sky could be this haunted.
This one is for Halloween. Nevertheless, you’ll find hot air balloons for all sorts of occasions.
36. Is there a fire somewhere in the sky?
Seems like this fire truck balloon has a little face on it. Hope it can put out the fire in time.
37. Famous Footwear really put their foot on this one.
Yes, you’ll see a lot of advertiser balloons at a festival. Still, Famous Footwear’s one is perfect.
38. Wonder what creature head this one belongs to.
Resembles a green pointy eared antenna space alien to me. But yes, that’s a very gruesome show of fangs.
39. You might want to take a cue from a pink elephant.
Of course the whole expression of “pink elephant” is totally lost on kids. And yet, this guy looks wasted.
40. Care for a bouquet in the clouds?
This just consists of a bunch of balloons on a pile to make it resemble flowers. Yet, it also looks a bit like rainbow ice cream.
41. Wonder how much a lighthouse can see if it can fly.
A lot more than a regular lighthouse. But this lighthouse balloon is right on the money.
42. A Mardi Gras clown balloon is perfect for a high flying carnival.
As you can see, it has a yellow, green, and purple hat with jingles. Still, not scary as the previous clown.
43. Thought you’d never see a hot air balloon shimmer in the night life.
Yes, this is a hot air balloon in neon lights. And boy, do those lights dazzle like an electric sign?
44. This princess really has her head in the clouds.
She wears a golden crown and has on a pearl necklace. So pretty.
45. With this hot air balloon, adventure awaits at Paradise Falls.
You can bet I had to include the Up house in this hot air balloon post. Still, the house is the basket.
46. Is that a gambling bug flying around?
Well, it has card suites, antennae, and 6 digit.s Yet, it seems to be quite handy with a full deck.
47. The King has made landfall.
But I have to tell you that Elvis has been dead since 1977. Not kidnapped by aliens. But enjoy this hot air balloon in his likeness in the meantime.
48. With this hot air balloon, you’ll have a sea fantasy on a snowy day.
Consists of a happy octopus with a smiling fish and starfish. So adorable but more appropriate at the beach.
49. Celebrate American independence with this hot air balloon.
It’s decked in American flag colors with the Declaration of Independence. Another piece of Americana I had to include.
50. Why modernize when you can just copy an original?
This is a modern rendition of the Mongolfier balloon they used in the 18th century. Strangely it has a Belgian flag instead of the French one in that basket.
51. This rocket balloon will always soar in American glory.
Sure it won’t take you to outer space. But you’ll certainly take to the skies.
52. This hot hair balloon has become this dragon’s true domain.
Okay, it doesn’t look scary. But it goes around the balloon and breathes fire.
53. Someone has to keep law and order in the skies.
Well, this sheriff balloon has a rather quaint look to it. Even has a bobby hat and a sheriff star.
54. I guess this hot air balloon has a medical disposition.
This one has the caduceus insignia on it to symbolize medicine. Guess a simple red cross was already taken.
55. A polar bear hot air balloon is filled with Arctic might.
Guess this was to spread more awareness on climate change. Still, it’s huge when you look at it from the ground.
56. A sky high panda bear is always a wondrous sight to see.
Because what’s cuter than a bear balloon is a panda bear balloon. So adorable you want to cuddle it.
57. Apparently, balloon isn’t meant for the whole family.
Is this to advertise condoms, vibrators, or dildos? At any rate, wouldn’t want to see it from a mile away.
58. This pot seems to have its lid screwed on just right.
Yet, it doesn’t seem to be worried in the open air. From here on, it’s smooth sailing.
59. You’d almost imagine little green men coming out of this one.
Well, it’s a UFO hot air balloon. But some people might not see it this way and perhaps wish whoever’s operating it to take them to their leader.
60. This basset hound is always on the trail up in the air.
This hound is of orange, black, and white. But you’d never find a dog in the skies like it.
61. The Orient Express now offers air service.
Okay, it doesn’t provide air service because it’s a train. But still, this balloon is a near perfect likeness of a steam engine.
62. This skyward barn has much to offer.
Sure it looks like what you’d see in a kiddie’s play set. Even has a cow sticking out of it.
63. This alarm clock balloon will always tell you the time of day.
Well, it’s surely happy to tell you the time. Seems to sport such a happy face.
64. “She keeps a Moet et Chandon in a pretty cabinet…”
It it’s a kind of wine. But the balloon of it here only consists of the cork.
65. “The Wells Fargo wagon is a-comin’ down the street…”
Well, a stage coach like this is a Wells Fargo icon. So it’s only fitting I include it here.
66. Someone’s got their mind up in the air.
Well, that’s quite a brainy balloon. I know it’s kind of sick but I’m sure some readers will find it pleasing.
67. While the United States has the stars and stripes, Canada has the red maple leaf.
Still, living in the Trump administration, I have to envy them for having a good looking prime minister like Justin Trudeau. Nevertheless, I’ll probably hear more about them come hockey season.
68. A caravel always sails effortlessly through the skies.
Though a real wooden ship wouldn’t look as pretty as this outside the movies. But it’s surely lovely to behold.
69. Now here’s a fire extinguisher that could put out a wildfire.
Okay, I’m kidding on that one. But I’m sure the people of California could only wish this was a real fire extinguisher instead of a balloon of one.
70. Of course, you can’t have a hot air balloon festival without including Noah’s Ark.
Because it’s a big boat with all the animals on it which kids can enjoy. Sure they were on there to wait out a flood. But nobody cares when it’s a balloon festival.
71. No hot air balloon festival is ever complete without a butterfly.
This one has especially colorful wings. And an adorable little face to go with them.
72. Perhaps you might want to see EPCOT fly these days.
Now EPCOT is a part of the Walt Disney World in Florida. Also, I’ve actually been there back in 2008.
73. Even in the sky you’ll bound to behold a tasty chocolate sundae.
This one includes a cone and a cherry on top. But don’t bet on them serving ice cream there.
74. This turtle is always ready to take off from anywhere.
Too bad he has his shoes untied. Then again, he’ll probably still beat the hare anyway.
75. Never thought I’d see a green Jaguar in the air.
I’m sure people attending the festival would later buy a Jaguar. If they happen to possess a Swiss bank account or a yacht.
76. Even at a hot air balloon festival, Mr. Peanut always knows how to make an entrance.
And even after so many years, he’s as dapper as ever. Only difference is that he’s voiced by Bill Hader.
77. In case of a blaze, you can always count on this guy.
Okay, he won’t actually put out fires. But you have to love him in his large, red fireman hat.
78. Now here’s a hot air balloon that keeps going and going…
Because that’s what the Energizer Bunny does. Well, until the batteries inside it die.
79. A US spaceman takes it to infinity and beyond.
Sure it has an over-sized head and short limbs. But I’m sure space geeks will adore it.
80. A jack-o-lantern hot air balloon is pure Halloween delight.
I guess this is for a fall hot air balloon festival. Wonder if it lights up at night like the real thing.
81. A Remax house always makes for a happy home.
Too I can’t see more of this thing. Then again, it’s sometimes hard to take pictures of hot air balloons that do justice.
82. Not sure if this is the kind of atmosphere for a deep sea diver.
And this one is dressed in a black and yellow suit. Cute but not sure if the sky is the best place for it.
83. There’s nothing more fluffy in the sky than a small cottage
This is for bread, I recall. Yet, the home appears rather quaint and cozy like a Keebler elf house.
84. A macaw in the sky is a colorful parrot to behold on a ledge.
Yes, it’s in a perching position. But the bird itself really can fly. Guess sitting is more regal in a hot air balloon form.
85. The sky is a wonderful place for a peacock to spread its wings.
Well, doesn’t seem to have much of a train. But a colorful tail like that will surely do for me.
86. A lofty hot air balloon can depict a symbol of the nation.
Though I’d much rather like a bald eagle attack Donald Trump. Because he’s an illegitimate president and narcissistic sociopath with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
87. This hot air balloon seeks to raise awareness and fight for the cure.
Then again, I kind of wish the Breast Cancer Awareness should focus on prevention. But yes, we should talk about it more. And not just in October.
88. Horton the Elephant will always be faithful 100% in flight.
Nice to see a hot air balloon of Horton from the Jungle of Nool. Yet, I have no idea where his clover is which has the speck of dust of Whoville.
89. Seems like this hot air balloon comes straight from the Dark Side.
I can almost hear the notes to the “Imperial March.” Still, this Darth Vader balloon is pretty damn cool.
90. If you liked Mike Wazowski from Monster’s Inc., then you’ll like this hot air balloon.
Yes, he’s everyone’s favorite cyclops. Though you’d have to hear him and Sully sing, “Put That Thing Back Where It Came From or So Help Me.”
91. Odd to see a pair of pants in the air. Wonder who put them there.
I know you’d think it’s a strange hot air balloon shape. But at least it’s an original design.
92. This penguin is all ready for fun in the sun.
It even has sunglasses, sandals, a hat, and Hawaiian shirt. So adorable.
93. Perhaps you’d want a bottle of wine for the skies.
Not sure what the wine is. But it sure has a lovely bottle design. Quite distinctive.
94. Not sure how a forklift operates in the sky.
Well, it’s for a forklift company. Still, you’d have to give kudos for this balloon design.
95. Large green balloon, Yoda is.
Little wrinkled and green man, Yoda is. But balloon amplifies his head tremendously, it does.
96. You wouldn’t expect Santa Claus to show up in a balloon of his own likeness.
Yes, they have hot air balloon festivals all year long. Even around Christmas. And this Santa is huge.
97. Wonder if this scarecrow can frighten the crows this high.
Probably since it’s so high. But on the other hand, it’s so adorable with its smile.
98. Oust will always keep the air fresh, even in the skies.
Though I’m not sure this will help you ward off odors of cow manure. Because it’s a hot air balloon.
99. Christ the Redeemer rises in Rio.
Bet this was for the Olympic Games in Rio. Still, have to admire Jesus’s jersey.
100. You can never have a great balloon fest without including Ben and Jerry.
Though this balloon doesn’t have any of its wacky flavors. Still, it soars.