As far as the Walt Disney Company is concerned, I have posts on at least two of the franchises they have rights to such as Star Wars back in November and Marvel Comics back in March. However, the company has gained some notoriety for its idea of American cultural imperialism, these few Disney posts aren’t about the media conglomerate. Or else, I’d have a lot more to work with. In fact, these posts are about Disney as a brand which is more associated with Mickey Mouse cartoons, animated movie musicals, Pixar, as well as networks that feature corny sitcoms and bubblegum pop music aimed at 11-14 year old girls like Hannah Montana. As someone born in 1990, I was a child during a very good time for Disney when they released some of their greatest and more famous films such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, Toy Story and Toy Story 2, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, James and the Giant Peach, and Mulan. My adolescence and college years saw a lot of good movies from Pixar such as Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Toy Story 3, and Up. And there are recent movies which aren’t too shabby either like The Princess and the Frog, Brave, Frozen, and Enchanted. Of course, I also watched the old stuff, too like Pinocchio, Dumbo, The Fox and the Hound, 101 Dalmatians, The Great Mouse Detective, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, The Rescuers, Alice in Wonderland, and Song of the South (on Youtube out of curiosity). I’ve also seen a few Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh cartoons as well. Nevertheless, one of the great things about these Disney movies is that they tend to appeal to such wide audiences around the world and at all ages. Children who grew up with Disney will like it forever and pass their love for it to their kids. And there is absolutely no shame with liking Disney movies at any age since almost everyone has watched them either in theaters or on DVD. Because no matter how sappy and wholesome Disney movies might seem on the surface, a lot of these films are still as entertaining and relevant as they always have.
Founded in 1923 by Walt Disney and his brother Roy as a cartoon studio, what would be later known as the Walt Disney Company started out by releasing a series of shorts called Alice’s Wonderland which featured a child actress interacting with animated characters. After that series ended in 1926, Walt did a series of shorts featuring a character named Oswald the Lucky Rabbit through Universal Studios. But two years later in 1928, he lost a contract with his distributor which took 4 of his fellow animators save Ub Iwerks to form their own cartoon studio. However, that same year he’d create Mickey Mouse and release Steamboat Willie which was the first cartoon to feature synchronized sound, a smash hit, as well as made Mickey a household name, changed animation forever, and became Walt Disney’s big break. During the early 1930s, Disney would release more cartoon shorts such as the Silly Symphonies series and more Mickey Mouse cartoons as well as experiment with Technicolor. These toons would provide Walt Disney to finance a project that was practically unheard of at the time: a full-length animated feature film in English called Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1934. However, despite what some critics would say, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs would become the highest grossing film after its debut in December 1937 to 1939. Disney would use the profits to build his Burbank, California studio as well as produce more films, cartoons, and TV shows. In the 1955, Walt Disney would open Disneyland in California. Disney World would open after Walt Disney’s death in 1966 from lung cancer due to his chain smoking catching up to him. However, the Walt Disney Company continued to live on despite suffering a slump in the 1970s and early 1980s. Then this would be the time when Disney would start to take its modern form with releasing several of the movies people in my generation grew up with, the Disney Channel, buying up networks, and its partnership with Pixar, a studio known for making a well done film at the worst. Nevertheless, while many people might dismiss Disney as a company specializing in children’s entertainment, they’ve been known to produce films that would make a grown man cry and its partnership with Pixar has increasingly shown how the movie industry hasn’t been taking animated films as serious as it should.
However, while Disney has had an unmistakable presence in my childhood, it turns out that there are a lot of huge fans out there way more obsessed with these movies than I’ll ever be. In fact, it’s not uncommon for many people to dress up as Disney characters on Halloween, on their Disney trips, or at an occasional comic convention. And sometimes this consists of whole families as well as people of all ages. You’ll see plenty of Disney princesses, Disney villains, as well as characters from Pixar. Personally, I prefer most of the recent Disney movies I grew up with as well as the Pixar films. I’m not a huge fan of Mickey and his gang despite seeing a few cartoons. However, I do like Winnie the Pooh since those cartoons contain characters people at all ages while having G rated plots and themes. Nevertheless, for your reading pleasure, I give you a treasure trove of magically costumed characters all from the wonderful world of Disney.
- Paint the colors of the wind with this Pocahontas costume.
Kind of ironic that she’s dressed as a character who’s based on a real historical figure who was supposed to be 12 at the time she “saved” John Smith. Then again, Pocahontas had been subject to age ups before the Disney movie came out.
2. Princess Merida always takes her best shot in all her finery.
The thing I like about Merida is that it focuses more on mother-daughter relationships and that she’s one of the few Disney princesses to act like a typical teenager. Well, at least not in a very destructive way (unlike Anna, Elsa, and Ariel).
3. Oh, no, looks like Ariel’s become lunch!
Yeah, I know I’m going to get comments for this. But I think this is really funny. Besides, it’s a wonder she didn’t get eaten.
4. Looks like this family has gone to Wonderland and back.
Then again, the dad seems to be dressed as the Mad Hatter from the Tim Burton movie. However, my favorite in this bunch is the kid dressed as the Ace of Spades.
5. Remember, at Agrabah, no one is safe from evil and powerful Jafar.
Interestingly enough, Jafar was based on a real guy who wasn’t that bad but ended up executed. However, that Jafar had usually been the go-to guy for inspiring evil grand viziers ever since, particularly in the Arabian Nights.
6. Looks like the office Genie has come out of his lamp today.
I know Genie wasn’t dressed up like that in Aladdin. But I have to admit, this is a really cool costume. This guy definitely deserves to win his Halloween costume contest at work.
7. I hope that little girl doesn’t take a bite out of that apple.
I may not be a big fan of Snow White since she’s kind of a bland character. However, I often envy her for being able to get a bunch of woodland creatures to clean a house she broke in with a song.
8. Unlike Ariel, this Disney Princess didn’t leave her home under the sea.
This is Princess Kida from Atlantis: the Lost Empire. She later becomes queen and ends up shacking up with a much younger man.
9. As we all know, Mulan was destined to be a Chinese housewife but ended up risking her life to save her father and China.
Well, this is Mulan in her outfit when she went to see the matchmaker. She didn’t do very well. Thankfully, she ended up with her boss who kind of had some sexuality issues.
10. Yet, here we see another picture of Mulan kicking ass.
Of course, when she dressed up as a guy, she managed to keep her gender under wraps for months. And it’s a wonder the other guys didn’t find out when she was bathing with them.
11. Here we come to the Princess Aurora from Sleeping Beauty.
Of course, she didn’t know her name was Aurora until her 16th birthday. Till then, she was called Briar Rose.
12. Remember at your Disney party, always invite Maleficent.
Because if you don’t, she’ll crash your party and curse your baby. Yeah, she can be an evil witch but she’s not a woman to mess with.
13. For a modern day Briar Rose, love is once upon a dream.
However, it doesn’t help that she’s dancing in a parking lot. Yeah, real smart. Not.
14. This baby Belle is surely hard to resist.
Yes, she’s so adorable in that little yellow tutu dress. So sweet.
15. Who remembers Bing Bong from Inside Out?
He’s Riley’s imaginary friend when she was a little girl. Nevertheless, his death scene kind of makes you cry.
16. Guess this woman doesn’t really go on magic carpet rides.
Because she’s the magic carpet from Aladdin. And she seemed to have made it herself according to the pattern.
17. “Me, Tarzan. You, Jane.”
That’s Tarzan and Jane Porter all right. I guess Tarzan is a rather easy costume since it only entails a loincloth and wig.
18. The Ace of Clubs is ready for a paint job at the Queen of Hearts’s rose bush.
Unfortunately, he’ll end up losing his head over it. Yeah, the Queen of Hearts is one nasty bitch.
19. Apparently, Buzz Lightyear had just been to a tea party.
It was in Sid’s sister’s room. And his arm was detached at the time. Still, this is a clever costume.
20. As we all know, Belle is kind of a bookworm.
She’s also said to have her head in the clouds and coming off as a bit odd. Oh, and rejecting Gaston for no good reason, according to the villagers’ point of view.
21. Cinderella can’t go to the ball? Don’t worry her magical Fairy Godmother will fix it for her.
Yes, with flick of her magic wand, she can turn a pumpkin into a coach, mice into horses, and dogs into coachmen. Still, this costume looks easy to make.
22. It’s well known that Flynn Rider can be quite a charmer.
He can also climb towers on his girlfriend’s long golden locks. Then again, I’m not very familiar with him because I’ve never seen Tangled.
23. Hey, I wonder what’s going on in Riley’s head.
Yes, this is a family rendition of Inside Out. Also, Bing Bong is played by the dog.
24. When it comes to activities, Merida would rather shoot arrows than comb her hair.
However, ask her to get married and she’ll throw a huge hissyfit an justifiably sow. Still, you have to like her long red locks.
25. As a gypsy woman, Esmeralda earns her keep as a street performer with her goat.
Too bad she ended up making Frollo horny during Mardi Gras. Yeah, he’s not known to take unrequited lust very well.
26. Guess Ariel didn’t think Urusla would try to steal her man when she signed the terms and conditions.
The dark haired woman is Vanessa, by the way who’s actually Ursula. Still, you have to wonder why Ariel didn’t just write notes to Eric in order to talk to him. I mean she has some degree of literacy. Then again, she might be that stupid.
27. In Frozen, there’s no couple more endearing than Anna and Kristoff.
Sure he may be rough around the edges, but Kristoff is a nice guy who mines ice and takes care of his reindeer Sven. Princess Anna shouldn’t have gotten engaged to Prince Hans who turned out to be a jerk.
28. On the floor here is Sailor Jasmine.
It’s basically Princess Jasmine in a Sailor Moon outfit. And it’s in her color, too.
29. As we know from Disney, every princess has her prince.
Or so it seems that way. Unless you’re Merida or Elsa. Still, not sure who the couple in the middle is supposed to be. Haven’t seen their costumes before.
30. Apparently, Snow White seems to be a friend of all the woodland creatures.
And it seems the bunny has a ruff around its neck. Kind of messed up. But I’ll put it on this post.
31. Here we have Ariel kindly escorted by Prince Eric.
Not sure what to think about Eric. Then again, he was under a spell. But he still kind of seems like a ditz. But so is Ariel.
32. Seems like this family comes from deep in the Hundred Acre Wood.
This family seems rather well dressed as the cast from Winnie the Pooh. Too bad they couldn’t include Rabbit. But what’s not to love?
33. In the ocean, Ursula always advertises in helping poor unfortunate souls.
Well, this Ursula has green hair and is really a sea witch. But boy, she’s so entertaining.
34. There’s no man who rules the waves under the sea than King Triton.
Too bad he pays more attention to his job than his 7 daughters. With a dad like him, could anyone be surprised that Ariel ended up like she did? Not really.
35. “I’m not a puppet. I’m a real boy.”
Pinocchio has never been among my favorite Disney movies. However, I have to admit that this is a really good costume.
36. As always, Kristoff is always accompanied with his trusty reindeer Sven.
Keep in mind that Kristoff probably has really bad BO since he was raised by trolls. But this is such a cute costume.
37. Fans of Tangled might remember Flynn Rider and Rapunzel.
Note to self: try to watch Tangled as soon as possible. Because I know it’s based on Rapunzel and not much else.
38. For this couple a rat infestation can only help their restaurant business.
This family is dressed as the 3 main characters from Ratatouille. It’s about a rat who aspires to be a Parisian chef. So cute.
39. From Atlantis: The Lost Empire, we have Milo and Kida.
Sure there’s a two millennium age difference at least, but they seem to be going strong. After all, that didn’t stop Aragorn and Arwen from getting together either.
40. The movie Frozen always teaches us that sisterly love is perhaps the strongest love of all.
Not sure if it’s like that between me and my sister. But at least neither of us have their problems. Queen Elsa should probably loosen up while Princess Anna should use her head.
41. Olaf always looks forward to summer.
Unfortunately for him, he’s a snowman so he’ll basically evaporate when it gets above a certain temperature. Lucky for him, Elsa gives him a cloud.
42. Working for supers, Edna Mode always designs outfits for heroes.
Like Jafar, Edna Mode is also based on a real person. In her case, it’s the famous Hollywood costume designer Edith Head known design outfits for a lot of classic movies.
43. Seems like this family comes all the way from Monsters Inc.
Guess we have here Mike, Sulley, Mike’s girlfriend with the Medusa hair, and Boo. Still, such a good movie, but not to the degree of Toy Story.
44. If you need a gospel choir from Ancient Greece, say hello to the Muses from Hercules.
Well, there are only 5 Muses in Hercules. But in Greek mythology, there were 9. 5 is a manageable number.
45. If you’re not into blue, perhaps a pink dress will do.
This is Princess Aurora in her pink dress. Yes, it’s beautiful but she spends more screen time in the blue one. Just saying.
46. For big families, perhaps you’ll do well going as Snow White, the Prince, and the 7 Dwarfs.
I know this is more of a stock photo. But I’m including it anyway since it has all the costumes of the 7 dwarfs.
47. I’m sure Esmeralda will be fine seeking refuge at Notre Dame.
Here she’s praying to God for the outcasts. Yet, in the movie, she’s also one herself. And it’s too bad Frollo is lusting after her which is creepy.
48. Their love story was a tale as old as time.
Yes, this is Belle and the Beast all right. Love the yellow dress. And that beast doesn’t look shabby either.
49. As we know, Pocahontas always tries to be one with nature.
However, she’s engaged to be married to a warrior because her dad said so. Then again, Powahatan went through the same deal. Well, he had multiple families in real life.
50. Sure Aurora may be the heroine in Sleeping Beauty, but Maleficent makes evil look cool.
I mean there’s a reason why Disney made a movie revolving around her. Also, can I tell you she turns into a dragon? Too bad Prince Philip kills her.
51. Dr. Facilier always has friends on the other side.
He’s also known to turn spoiled princes into frogs and making voodoo practitioners look bad. Sorry, but voodoo isn’t Satanism.
52. This slinky costume is always a great idea for a couple.
You know Slinky Dog from Toy Story? Yeah, this is a really cool costume of him if you ask me.
53. Remember, Cinderella, have fun and be back home around midnight.
Yes, this is the standard Cinderella ball gown made by the Fairy Godmother. Still, I think the Fairy Godmother should’ve came earlier when her dad died and called child services. But no one’s asking me.
54. Scottish Queen Elinor always tries to look regal.
However, she ends up being turned into a bear because her daughter didn’t want to get hitched. Her sons get turned to bears, too.
55. The Parrs always tend to be a very super powered family.
Yes, this a family dressed as the Incredibles. And the baby is the most dangerous member. Really, Jack Jack actually killed a guy.
56. Here we have Ariel on the beach after getting legs.
Still, remember, girls, trading your voice for plastic surgery so you can get together with a guy you just met is a really bad idea. Seriously, don’t try it.
57. Seems like these two are ready to spend a day outside of the castle.
And yet, this is another of Ariel’s wardrobe changes. Still, you have to admire Prince Eric’s patience with her. Then again, I think his servant seems to be the only guy who has a clue.
58. Here we find Belle spending a day outside in the snow.
Belle also goes through a few wardrobe changes in Beauty and the Beast. And here she is with a bird.
59. In Finding Nemo, it’s said that all the tank fish in Dr. Sherman’s office fear Darla.
Because Darla’s a girl who’s not very good with fish. And yes, she would’ve ended up killing Nemo if he hadn’t gotten himself flushed down a toilet.
60. As we know, Belle certainly looks stunning in green.
I think she wore this outfit when the Beast showed her his library. And yes, she was certainly awed by it despite that he kidnapped her father earlier.
61. Sometimes you have to let it all go like Queen Elsa.
Except in her case because she ended up causing eternal winter. So maybe that’s not a good idea. Then again, she wasn’t emotionally healthy to begin with.
62. Seems like Ariel has found herself under Ursula’s spell.
Ariel should’ve known better than to consult Ursula to give her legs. Seriously, Ursula had a beef with her dad. She was going to use Ariel’s voice to steal Eric away from her. Couldn’t the girl see that coming?
63. Mulan has some skill with a sword thanks to being in the Chinese army.
And here she is hiding in the woods in her blue outfit. I’m sure her parents would be proud of her.
64. Those who’ve seen Up can never forget the friendship between Carl and Russell.
These are babies dressed as the two protagonists from Up. It’s just so cute it melts your heart.
65. For Aladdin, Abu is always his trusted friend.
Well, Abu is stuffed in this. But I do like Aladdin’s outfit though. It’s probably from the end.
66. Oh, shit, Darla already has Nemo in her bag. That’s not good.
Actually this is a mother and baby costume thing. So it’s fine. But I think it’s pretty clever how they made a tank out of a wagon.
67. In Alice and Wonderland, I kind of think the Caterpillar seemed stoned out of his mind.
However, this is a really good costume. Like how it seems like this woman painted herself green and wore a sleeping bag.
68. Looks like this quaint house is going up to Paradise Falls.
Now that’s a really cute costume. Like how she’s wearing balloons on her head. So amazing.
69. Looks like Russell and Carl have already met Kevin.
Seems like this is Up for the whole family. By the way, Kevin is a girl despite her fancy appearance. Wonder what the male of her species looks like.
70. As Hercules’s love, Megara always plays the damsel in distress.
In the original mythology, Megara doesn’t fare well since Hercules kills her in a Hera induced rage. Also, her family is really dysfunctional as she’s a kin to Oedipus.
71. For Woody, there’s no girl he’d rather be with any more than Bo Peep.
Of course, their relationship doesn’t last since Bo Peep is later given away. But you have to appreciate them as a couple.
72. Seems like this Snow White always has to have roses in her hair.
Well, this is a very dress. I think this look was inspired by the 1500s. Love the ruff and the rose crown.
73. Looks like Ursula messed with the wrong princess in the sea.
That’s one of Ursula being covered in starfish when she’s about to marry Eric. Now that’s just priceless and very creative.
74. This little princess seems all decked out for the ball.
And she seems so happy in her ball gown, too. Hope she doesn’t leave any glass slippers behind.
75. When it comes to WALL-E’s love, it’s always EVE.
And this costume seems to be made from a plastic trash bin. So cute and creative.
76. Looks like Rapunzel really let down her hair.
Like how the baby’s dressed as Rapunzel and the dad’s dressed as the tower. Now that’s being a great parent. So cute.
77. Not sure if Princess Jasmine should rub that lamp in.
Yeah, I know some guys say she’s their favorite Disney princess for obvious reasons. But the lamp belongs to Aladdin though the Genie is really nice.
78. Here we have a heartwarming picture of Princess Merida and her mom.
Remember that her mom ate a tart that turned her into a bear. Still, this is pretty good.
79. For Aladdin, he’s lived his life on the streets.
Yes, Aladdin’s a homeless guy who’s lived his life stealing stuff. Still, in his world, he didn’t have many options but to live as a street thief.
80. Here is the royal duke presenting the missing glass slipper on a pillow.
Well, the duke is thinner in Cinderella. But he sports the same mutton chops.
81. Hey, here’s Emperor Kuzco from the Emperor’s New Groove.
Well, basically this guy starts out as a spoiled brat until Yzma turns him into a llama. But I sure like his outfit.
82. As we all know, Carl and Ellie had a love that would last a lifetime.
They were childhood sweethearts, after all. Still, though she died before the plot kicked in, at least Ellie was happy with her life for she was with Carl.
83. Esmeralda always decks herself in red when dancing for the Feast of Fools.
Unfortunately, this gets Frollo a bit turned on to her. And you really don’t want to do that because he’s a really bad man and an authority figure.
84. Looks like Jasmine seems quite taken with Prince Ali.
To be fair, I think Jasmine knew it was Aladdin the whole freaking time. I mean Aladdin’s disguise was just blatantly obvious.
85. With this family, who wouldn’t want to be their guest?
Yes, this is a family dressed as characters from Beauty and the Beast. Well, at least the ones at the castle.
86. On the Emperor’s New Groove, who could ever forget Yzma and Kronk?
Sure Yzma can be a real witch with a “secret lab.” But Kronk is just so incompetent he’s hilarious. Everyone likes him.
87. Seems like Elsa is feeling a bit anxious for her coronation.
Too bad she didn’t have access to a good therapist when she was young. I think that might’ve helped her tremendously.
88. All Princess Anna wants is for things to be all right for her sister Elsa.
Unfortunately for her, Elsa has gone so nutty that she nearly gets Anna killed. And it doesn’t help that her fiance Hans wants to take over Elsa’s kingdom. So there.
89. Apparently, Mary Poppins doesn’t mind if her man is a bit dirty.
It’s about time I got to Mary Poppins. That was one of the Disney greats with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke.
90. All WALL-E wants is a little robot love.
WALL-E was such a great movie from Pixar. And this is such a cool costume made from a box. Adorable.
91. Theirs was a tale as old as time a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Well, if you imagine Belle as Princess Leia and Chewie as the Beast. Like how they have C-3PO as Lumiere. Brilliant.
92. Of course, Gaston has no understanding of the value of books.
He also doesn’t have a clue that Belle isn’t interested in him. Seriously, Gaston, you have groupies. Marry one of them.
93. When Aurora and Philip met, it was once upon a dream.
To be fair, Prince Philip does more than some of the princes up to that point. But he’s still pretty bland.
94. Seems like Rapunzel always likes to put flowers in her hair.
And her long blond hair has a lot of flowers in it. Then again, she’s been locked in a tower all her life. So she doesn’t have much to do.
95. To ward of Maleficent, these good fairies are the ones to call.
I tend to think the good fairies are kind of underrated in Sleeping Beauty. Sure they’re nice old ladies. But they also have flaws and disagreements. Like dress colors.
96. Only Taco Belle can tame the ugly beast of hunger.
Guess she’s a stoner’s dream if I ever did see one. I listen to too much of the band.
97. Here we have a little beauty and a little beast.
That’s just so cute. Here they have a little baby as Belle. And a boxer as the Beast. The dog doesn’t seem pleased.
98. I think this is the kind of dress for Aurora that would please everyone.
Because why does her dress have to be all one color? Better yet, maybe the fairies should’ve asked Aurora what color she wanted for her dress.
99. I guess Mulan didn’t impress the matchmaker on her visit.
Sometimes the best costumes are the ones people don’t think about. Like this one.
100. All these little green guys are said to be powerless in front of a great and powerful claw.
Because they’re stuck in one of those vending machines. Yet, these costumes are so good.