Around my area during weekends in late August and September, the Greater Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival is in town. While touted as a medieval fair with music, feasting, lavish costumes, and entertainment, you might end up losing a ton of your money by the end of the day. And while the jousts may look cool, keep in mind that real jousting in that era can lead to fatalities and serious injuries. After all, King Henry VIII nearly died in a jousting accident that screwed him up for the rest of his life. Whereas a French king was literally killed in one. Nonetheless, given the mishmash outfits, the Renaissance Festival has been a place for many to cosplay. Some dress as fantasy characters from Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. Some dress in historic costume ranging from medieval to Three Musketeers. While some just put on whatever they want. Since the Renaissance Festival doesn’t care what you wear, as long as you pay. So for your reading pleasure, I give you another assortment of lavish Renaissance Festival costumes. Enjoy.
- Perhaps you might want a more flowing gown.
Hey, at least you don’t have to wear a corset. Those things can be very tight.
2. A Khal must always have his khaleesi by his side.
Which he bought from her brother so he can get an army to storm into Westeros with. He also raped her on their wedding night. But at least he’s played by Aquaman in the show.
3. You may want to dress in purple as a peasant.
Note that this was highly illegal in Europe during the Renaissance. Since only royalty could wear purple at the time.
4. A fairy should always spread her wings.
This is especially true if she has vibrant butterfly wings. Also, her dress should match them.
5. Feel free to come as your favorite Disney princess.
Well, I guess that can work. Though if you come as Snow White, stay away from apples.
6. You’d be a fool to pass by this jester.
To be fair, jesters only played the fool. However, it was one of the few jobs in the Renaissance era where you criticize your boss and get away with it.
7. A sleek black gown may suit you.
It’s made out of velvet and has silver shoulders. Just don’t trip on the skirt on your way out.
8. You’ll always stand out wearing bright colors.
Since nobles usually wear the large, lavish dresses. These women deck ones of green, blue, and pink. The guy wears red.
9. Black can be quite snazzy.
Sure they may be dressed for a funeral. But you have to love their hats.
10. These barbarians have come to party.
They’re wearing fur, too. One guy doesn’t even wear a shirt. Because at Renaissance Festivals, it’s optional.
11. This big dead cow has room for 2.
You can see how two people operate the cow. The thing might freak you out while passing by.
12. An ornate dress will certainly impress.
This black one includes jewels on the bodice. Like the crown and ruff.
13. A fall fairy has flowers on her wings.
She also wears a long-nosed half mask. Also, the flowers aren’t real. But you probably knew that.
14. You’d have a hell of a time with these 2.
Since they come as demons. The guy even wears red armor and horns.
15. Mail can always protect.
Not sure in the woman’s case. Since it only covers her breasts. Talk about metal.
16. Apparently, Freya stops by.
I mean she’s dressed like a Viking. And her wings are really sensational. Still, you don’t want her to call on the Valkyrie.
17. Even fairies would like to have a good time.
One wears green and fire. The other wears blue. But she carries her own mug.
18. Couples should always match in pattern.
A lot of couples seem to match. Though the woman has a fantastic hat and skirt.
19. It’s not easy wearing green.
Though these two even wear similar hats. However, their daughter just wears a normal outfit.
20. Looks like we have a dragon in our midst.
Or at least half of one. Let’s hope they don’t start any fires, shall we?
21. When you realize that your costume isn’t as pimptastic as you thought it would be.
Though he does wear a fancy black tunic with gold striped pantaloons and a feather hat. Not to mention he wears an awesome necklace, too.
22. Sometimes you have to tie it all up.
Her brown dress seems to be held together through lacing. Even on the skirt and sleeves.
23. These 3 ladies have come for the dead.
Since they’re in Dia de los Muertos costumes. A couple wear skull makeup and don skull hats.
24. Barbarian tribes women in the vicinity.
Okay, they’re just here for the beer. Yet, you have to love their furs.
25. You can catch sight of this druid.
Since his robes are in blue and orange. But there are those who call him Hank.
26. Always take your sword with you.
This guy wears a plain brown tunic and pants. Though it won’t help him if the other guy wears armor.
27. These four beauties always go to the tavern together.
They wear fantastic hats in bright colors, too. They also go to the privies together when nature calls.
28. Guess we got a couple of mad hatters.
They seem to belong to the steampunk crowd. Though both wear top hats.
29. Even a lad must wear a fancy vest.
This is a crocheted black vest with gold trim and buttons. But the boy doesn’t seem too happy about it.
30. A purple fairy doesn’t need a fancy skirt.
Her skirt’s a patchwork. Yet, she wears a matching corset and wings nonetheless.
31. A plain gold trimmed dress will always do.
This is made from velvet. And sure it’s not fancy. But it’s sure expensive.
32. A lady must always carry a bow and arrow.
Though some Ren fairs may have a weapons policy. Still, the bow is quite huge.
33. Aren’t these 2 guys a bit too old to be knights?
Maybe not since knights were all adult ages. But they’re not in Crusader shape.
34. A lady must have a cape of fine furs.
Okay, the fur’s probably fake. Yet, it certainly goes well with her lovely black dress and gold tiara.
35. A Viking woman must always be modest.
No horned helmets or boob armor for her. Just a long dress and a belt.
36. This purple fairy sits on a stump.
Well, she’s wearing purple with green tights. Though her wings are rather transparent.
37. Say hello to the Norse Gods.
Okay, they don’t look like the ones in the Marvel movies. Yet, at least they know how to dress. Sort of.
38. Wonder where this pairing came from.
He’s a medieval knight. She’s an 18th century lady. But will love find a way?
39. Feel free to meet these Disney princesses.
There’s Mulan, Ariel, and Tiana. None of these lived during the Renaissance as far as Disney canon is concerned.
40. These 2 are clad in royal purple splendor.
Their outfits have gold trim and jewels. Yet, their hats are rather different.
41. Want to help a simple townsman?
At least I think it’s a guy. But the capris and sandals indicate otherwise.
42. Behold, a shieldmaiden.
She wears a red dress with green trim. The shield has all kinds of pictures on it.
43. This Scotswoman has all she needs.
After all, that’s what belts are for. She’s even got a fan of peacock feathers.
44. This dragon is a gentleman.
Yet, he’s dressed like he’s from the 18th century. And he wears antennas.
45. A long sack is essential for the desert.
She carries her own walking stick. Hope she can find water.
46. These pirates have come for the rum.
The women wear their corsets and the fanciest black hats with feathers. The guy wears a scarf and a vest.
47. Need any feathers in your hair?
These women dress in rather colorful peasant dresses. Like the one in the purple skirt.
48. Why is this Viking so glum?
He’s got a cool helmet and armor. Not to mention he’s got a skull bag. Guess he couldn’t bring his sword.
49. This nun is here to make music.
Though she kind of makes blowing into her flute a habit. That the other nun can’t stand it anymore.
50. We seem to have a couple of fancy pirates.
Seems like these two made their costumes from a rug. Yet, they seem to have a rather good time.
51. What the hell are these Puritans doing here?
After all, don’t they consider fun sinful? Seriously, these people don’t even celebrate Christmas.
52. Queen Liz celebrates a golden occasion.
Since she wears a golden dress as Gloriana. Still, don’t ask why she stays single. It’s mostly political.
53. Seems this woman dresses in rags.
Well, she’s supposed to be dressed like she’s some spirit. Though she doesn’t have much of a corset.
54. Perhaps you might want to dress in glorious pink.
Though I’m not sure if such shades existed in the 1500s. Yet, she wears a black corset over all those layers.
55. A yellow dress can always flatter.
Yet, since this is the 21st century, she can make it as comfortable as she’d like. Since historical accuracy isn’t a benchmark at Ren fairs.
56. The faun gets all the chicks.
He’s shirtless with horns and a fur bottom. Then again, James McAvoy’s Mr. Tummus was much better looking.
57. An elf girl should have a nice spring dress.
She wears a dress with a corset and boots. Perfect for a nice Renaissance festival.
58. You don’t always need to dress in flashy colors.
She wears an cream dress with blue. Has a tiara around her head.
59. Want a wooden sword?
Because metal swords can actually kill people. Though it’s not nice being hit by one either.
60. She prefers an old swashbuckler.
He even wears an old-fashioned mustache. You’d almost think him a musketeer.
61. Jon Snow and Daenerys are the king and queen everyone wants to rule.
Too bad their relationship didn’t last. Since Dany went crazy and burned down King’s Landing. So Jon had to kill her.
62. White can always make one stand out.
This couple dresses to attract stains. Though the woman has a goblet on her belt.
63. Want to ride this centaur?
Sure he may not seem straight out of Fantasia. But you can put a saddle on him.
64. Just between two grizzled pirates.
To be fair, pirates didn’t have white and gray beards. Because most of them were under 30 and usually didn’t live past that age.
65. These two don’t come with much on them.
I bet you they’re supposed to be tribespeople. Yet, they’re really pushing it with the dress code.
66. Walking in the bushes, are we?
He wears a fancy black tunic and a feather hat. She wears a gold and blue dress with a pearl net.
67. Looks like we have a little Robin Hood in the making.
Though he should be careful when climbing that tree. Still, wonder if he’s got help from his merry men.
68. Get a load of these royals.
They even wear matching outfits and crowns. King even has a nice lion on his tunic.
69. You’ll have a good time with these pirates.
They all quite stunningly dressed. Some even carry the swagger.
70. Gandalf and Legolas stop by.
So take advantage of all the Middle Earth photo ops while you can. Since it won’t be long till they have to head for Mordor.
71. Forest spirit just needs a cup of ale.
She wears a green leaf dress. But you have to love her flower garland on her head.
72. You might find this fairy up a tree.
She has red tights and a brown skirt. Got to like the feathered headdress.
73. This wedding gets a royal sendoff.
Yes, you can get married at a Renaissance Festival. Though I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that. Still, that knight salute is pretty awesome.
74. This woman has a very long horn.
She’s dressed like a gypsy. Yet, I wonder what sound she gets from that.
75. I don’t think they have the droids they’re looking for.
Stormtroopers have gone to the wrong venue. Padme Amidala’s in the front by the way.
76. These guys are here to entertain.
They’re all dressed like a trio of troubadours. Got to like their snazzy hats.
77. Mind if he uses his telescope?
Since he needs to stand it up on a stick. Also, don’t mind his ridiculous feather hat and big pantaloons.
78. Want to hang out with a Scottish Stormtrooper?
Didn’t know Imperial Stormtroopers can be Scottish. Still, he won’t find the droids he’s looking for in that kilt and tam.
79. Blue fairy or purple fairy?
They both wear long dresses and large wings. One even has flowers on her skirt.
80. Perhaps a white dress and corset is all you need.
Hers has a flower and fringes. She’s also Vanessa Hudgens.