When many of us are kids, we may have dollhouses we’d play with from time to time. They may be part of a set or homemade. Yet most will come with a family along with all kinds of furniture and accessories which are sometimes sold separately. However, while dollhouses have primarily been a domain for children, their collection and crafting can also be a hobby for many adults. Think Lester Freamon in The Wire who likes making dollhouse furniture. Nonetheless, today’s dollhouses trace their history back 400 years to the European baby house display cases that showed idealized interiors, which first appeared in the 16th century. These displays mostly consisted of cabinet display cases consisting of individual rooms. Yet, unlike most dollhouses you’d find at Wal Mart today, these were handmade with architectural details and filled with miniature household items that weren’t made to a uniform scale even within an individual house. These were solely made for adults. And no, the reasons had nothing to do with safety concerns since child labor was rampant back then. But more because these early dollhouses were often status symbols of rich people who could afford them in England, Germany, and the Netherlands. Not to mention, they often cost as much as a house. Smaller houses with more realistic exteriors appeared in Europe during the 18th century. As you’d expect, early dollhouses were all handmade until the Industrial Revolution when they began mass producing toys. Of course, while many of us played with dollhouses as kids, the miniatures I will show on this post are more the work of adult hobbyists. So enjoy for your reading pleasure.
You’d be pressed not to peek into the Palace of Versailles.
2. Perhaps you might want to look in the pantry.
3. How about we kick back and relax in the music room?
4. Best to put your bookshelves above your bathroom door.
5. Treat yourself to some fine dining.
6. A blue room should always come with considerable taste.
7. A floral divider always brightens a room.
8. Sometimes a small one room trailer is all you need.
9. Anyone would want to have this gorgeous kitchen.
10. This print shop seems quite busy.
11. Sometimes it helps if the wallpaper matches the floor.
12. This bakeshop is open for business.
13. Perhaps a more modern style may suit you.
14. In a palace, you’ll find plenty of rooms with outrageous extravagance.
15. A garden can always bring beauty into a sitting room.
16. I guess important business is conducted in this palace room.
17. A white living room doesn’t need to be plain.
18. Nobody has been to this laundromat for quite some time.
19. We all need to relax in a calm room from time to time.
20. This swanky diner is always a happening place.
21. A sultan would love to have a room like this.
22. The furniture must always match the wallpaper.
23. A lavish throne room is always fit for a king.
24. You’ll find all kinds of trinkets in this white room.
25. A Grecian living room should always carry a marble statue.
26. Perhaps you want to lie on a flowery bed.
27. You might prefer to lounge around in a more modern home.
28. You can’t go wrong with blue walls and white furniture.
29. Every girl has to sleep in a pink bedroom once in awhile.
30. Wonder what dresses are in store in this room.
31. A Christmas tree should always brighten a room around the holidays.
32. You should do your laundry in this room.
33. Got to put some wood in the stove.
34. A desk should have as many of compartments as you desire.
35. A bathroom should have a modern touch.
36. A design studio should have plenty of light.
37. Perhaps you’d like a room with some Asian flair.
38. A white bedroom always looks clean.
39. Any little girl would love a bedroom like this.
40. A 21st century kitchen should have some modern flair.
41. Feel free to take the tea you want.
42. An opulent couch can never have too many cushions.
43. Perhaps you’d want to sit back to a roaring fire in this rustic cabin.
44. You can spend hours in this cozy living room.
45. Seems like there’s a special occasion going on.
46. When greeting guests, always make a grand entrance.
47. A bathtub should always match the wallpaper.
48. Blue cabinets will surely brighten a kitchen.
49. You’d swear the bed was attached to the wardrobe.
50. You’d swear that you’ve been transported into an old-timey garage.
51. Hope your kitchen is well tiled.
52. Doesn’t hurt to gild your living room if you can afford it.
53. Want to hear a song in the music room?
54. Perhaps you’d like a living room with an extravagant mural.
55. A luxurious home should have luxurious furniture.
56. A royal study should be fit for a king.
57. Sometimes simplicity is best.
58. Guess this an empty theater long after the show is done.
59. You’ll find whatever you need in this pantry.
60. Sometimes a quality kitchen is a fancy kitchen.
61. With high columns, your home can look like a palace.
62. You’ll have plenty of counter space in this sleek modern kitchen.
63. A pantry should have everything well stored.
64. The scullery will take care of your dirty dishes.
65. Hope you enjoy a walk down the halls.
66. A stately room should have fine lavender curtains.
67. A grand entrance must always impress.
68. In a Tudor room, you always rely on the window light.
69. If you can’t have cabinets, curtains work just as well.
70. You will always enjoy fine dining in a green room.
71. Perhaps you might prefer to dine in a large white room.
72. A blue bedroom can always make you relax.
73. Care to dine in a fancy room?
74. Enjoy a recital in this gilded music room.
75. Mirror walls make for a luxurious bathroom.
76. A living room should always have a fine mix of wooden and floral furniture.
77. You’ll find plenty of tables in this hallway.
78. At this apothecary, you’ll find a cure for whatever ails you.
79. An Art Deco kitchen will always give what you need.
80. Get all the produce you want from this market stand.
81. Sometimes all you need is a nice, cozy dining room.
82. A quaint entrance always leaves room for flowers.
83. Now I would definitely get myself ready in this dressing room.
84. “Grandma, what big teeth you have?”
85. This living room is fit for any Renaissance man or woman.
86. Guess this bedroom belongs to an artist type.
87. A bright cyan bedroom will always lift one’s spirits.
88. Sometimes a simple kitchen is all you need.
89. You’ll find plenty of dishes in this cabinet.
90. Care to take a holiday reservation?
91. Gold furniture never goes out of style.
92. Kick back and relax in this rustic bedroom.
93. A fancy room should always have some fancy furniture.
94. Perhaps a small house may suit your fancy.
95. Perhaps you might go for a fancy bathroom with an ornate sink.
96. There’s nothing like a hard day in the garden.
97. A lovely living room should always give way to large windows.
98. Wooden walls always make for a fine dining room.
99. Blue walls will always make a room more elegant.
100. A dining room should always look its best to entice guests.