Now that Thanksgiving is over, it’s onto the Christmas season. And since it starts on Black Friday, I begin my holiday blog roll with my 4th annual Christmas ad post. Of course, I featured one depicting Santa Claus advertising Coca Cola. Yes, I know he’s not setting a good example since he’s promoting a soft drink that’s responsible for obesity and diabetes. But his association with Coca Cola is so well known that it’s iconic. Though as we’ve all seen, Coca Cola hasn’t been the only company to use Santa Claus to sell their product. In fact, far from it. Nor has Coca Cola been the first company to do so. Nevertheless, you’ll find plenty of ads plastered all over the place for Black Friday sales despite that you’re better off shopping for Christmas gifts in December. So if you have anything better to do, perhaps you might want to look into another installment of these vintage ads. Of course, you might think they’re filled with rosy imagery meant to tingle at your nostalgia. But I usually go for the ones that haven’t aged so well and contain disturbing implications. Whether it’s accidental innuendos, creepy kids, bad health advice, and what not. So for your reading pleasure, I give you another treasure trove of crazy vintage Christmas ads.
- Want your Christmas happiness to last year round? Get a View Master.
And somehow Santa looks like he’s creepily enjoying your vacation photos. Face seems to suggest, “Guess little Johnny’s getting clothes for Christmas this year.”
2. Camel and Prince Albert always say “Merry Christmas with every puff.”
Because there’s nothing endearing on Christmas like the gift of lung cancer. Nevertheless, Santa sets a horrible example for children.
3. Always be choosey on Christmas with a new phone.
Though if you give someone a regular phone nowadays, they’d be like “You got to be kidding me.” Because most of us use cell phone now.
4. Nothing beats Christmas like a new Smith Corona typewriter.
And yes, girls go really crazy about this typewriter. Though seeing the girl’s face in the front might freak you out.
5. Reynolds aluminum wrapping paper is pure Christmas magic.
The wife’s all over how the gifts shine and sparkle under the Christmas tree. And the husband’s like, “Looks like I’m getting laid tonight.”
6. This year, make your Christmas an Avon Christmas.
Yet, the girl doesn’t really seem very enthusiastic about the make up display. In some way, she kind of illustrates how many women feel when receiving stuff like this.
7. With a Singer, you give a woman the gift of sewing.
Well, a gift in which she can sew your pants with. Still, not a fan of promoting female domesticity which seems to seep in these ads.
8. “Jackie Gleason Originals made by Manhattan make dan-dan-dandy gifts.”
Now I see why Jackie Gleason didn’t appear on his own Christmas album. Still, that fancy shirt is utterly tacky.
9. Play safe with Thermo anti-freeze.
Though why use a snowman to advertise a product to keep cars from freezing is beyond me. I mean we all know what anti-freeze is.
10. Spring Maid fabrics are always durable on ice.
But it seems like Amy should’ve worn snow pants since she suffered a major wardrobe malfunction while skating. Though the two guys on the bench certainly didn’t mind.
11. Nothing makes a boy happy on Christmas like his own Texaco truck.
However, leave him alone and he will use it to make you fall on your head. So you might want to avoid him like the plague.
12. L&M give a lot for your man on Christmas.
Yet, he likes his smokes as he plays with his toy trains. Meanwhile his wife smiles upon him just before she has to scramble into the kitchen to make a dish for Christmas dinner at his parents. But don’t worry, tobacco kills 1/3 of its users anyway.
13. Buy boxes of Spearmint for Santa to take round.
Though there’s something unsettling about this cartoon Santa. The mustache seems unusually shifty.
14. Need gift ideas for the holidays? How about a pair of inter-woven socks?
Didn’t think Santa could appear frightening in the moonlight. Also, not a lot of people want socks for Christmas.
15. Kuppenheimer always has good clothes for you and your family for Christmas.
Yet, I’m not sure who’s scarier in this one: Santa or the guy with the gifts who looks like the neighborhood psychokiller. Then again, Santa might want to watch his back.
16. Your son would adore his own Filmo camera on Christmas.
“Gee, now I can make my own pornos like Daddy. Man, you guys are the best.”
17. For this holiday season, Coca Cola is a taste that refreshes.
Though I’d rather stay clear of his North Pole workshop. Cause those elves certainly induce nightmares.
18. This Christmas, give him a hat.
Unfortunately, in later years fedoras went from distinguished menswear to undignified hipster attire. Kind of sad if you think about it.
19. “Playing Santa this year? Let your fingers do the walking.”
Now that has to be one of the most terrifying hand puppets I’ve ever seen. Then again, it was probably Thing’s turn to play Santa this year for the Addams’ family.
20. Please your woman this year by giving her a Sheaffer Stylist set.
A pen set? Seriously, that’s what you get a co-worker for Secret Santa. I mean it’s a gift that says, “I didn’t know what to give you for Christmas this year. And I’m too much of an idiot to ask.”
21. Kewpie dolls always make the perfect Christmas gift.
For the love, keep that thing away. I mean it looks like a deranged Casper in a Santa hat. And it doesn’t look friendly.
22. Coca Cola is a gift of good taste.
To be fair, the last house Santa visited had a bottle of Jack Daniels out for him. So don’t be surprise if he crashes into a skyscraper once he reaches Chicago.
23. Four Roses brings a thought for “tomorrow” that’s 2 months away.
Though October is way too early to decorate your Christmas tree. Then again, it’s an outdoor tree but still. Nevertheless, having Christmas ads before Halloween is ridiculous enough.
24. “It wouldn’t be Christmas without Whitman’s.”
Because if you’re both under the mistletoe, a box of chocolates is all you need for the bedroom. I mean we all know what mistletoe means in Christmas ads.
25. “Make your Christmas gift a Tomahawk.”
For there’s nothing like a great Christmas gift like a bladed axe. Other great gift ideas for lumberjacks include, butter scones, flower presses, high heels, suspenders, and a bra.
26. “It’ll be a merrier Christmas with the new Wonder Holiday Tree.”
I guess this is supposed to be a Charlie Brown tree with bells on it. Kind of looks sad if you ask me.
27. Please your loved one this Christmas with decorated Pyrex ware.
Though these casserole dishes seem appropriate for winter. If you want to give a decorated casserole, buy one with motifs good for all year round.
28. Even Santa wants you to buy bonds.
Because if you don’t, then you will not like what Santa will give you for Christmas this year. So buy war bonds as a patriotic duty. Also, why only 2 reindeer?
29. Put your child in the driver’s seat with this Hertz toy car.
Yet, once little Bobby’s in there, he’s sure to run over the cat with it with relish. So you might want to keep an eye on this budding psycho.
30. Santa always gives American toys for American girls and boys.
Don’t look now. But I’m not sure if I like how star-spangled Santa is holding these kids on his lap. Seems fairly sketchy for me.
31. Arthur Godfrey gives his Christmas best with Chesterfields.
Arthur Godfrey was a popular radio and TV personality during the 1950s who was known for his folksy warmth but was volatile and controlling behind the scenes. An on-air incident would later lead to his career decline. Ironically he’d later become an anti-smoking advocate.
32. For Christmas 1972, give yourselves a set of mannequins in your likenesses.
On second thought, don’t. Because that’s just creepy. Seriously, who’d want to have mannequins of themselves?
33. Give her the gift of beauty with Holeproof fine stockings.
And they just had to show her in a transparent robe, lingerie, stockings, and high heels. Definitely not something I’d wear on Christmas morning.
34. Give your son a Red Ryder Saddle Carbine this Christmas.
As you probably know, you’ll shoot your eye out with this BB gun. What? I saw A Christmas Story.
35. Entertain for hours during the holidays with a Revere projector and camera.
“And this when I chopped up Norman in the woodchipper. Because he was such a pain in the ass who had it coming. Soon as his dog crapped in my yard, I shot that son of a bitch dead.”
36. Keep your clothes clean during the holiday season with Breck detergent.
Still, that doll is guaranteed to kill Brooke Shields in her sleep. How she survived this shoot, I’ll never know.
37. “Can’t beat a Tupperware party for Christmas shopping.”
Though why have Santa in street clothes is beyond me. Also, Tupperware doesn’t exactly make a great gift.
38. When Santa takes a break, he always smokes Murad.
Because let’s just say giving gifts for all those kiddies really gets a lot out of you. Still, Santa isn’t really setting a good example here. More an example for kids to get lung cancer.
39. Frosty the Snowman wants you to give a real conversation for Christmas.
Other than the outdated rotary phones, Frosty seems absolutely terrifying. So you might want to buy one from him or else he’ll make sure you freeze to death.
40. White Owl Cigarettes are the quickest way to a man’s heart.
I don’t know about that. But I know it’s a quick way for a man to get cancer. Still, I don’t think Mrs. Claus will like seeing her husband sharing a smoke with a sexy blonde.
41. No Christmas baked goods should go without Carnation milk.
But poor Susie is such a procrastinator that she had to pull an all nighter to make her brownies. Let’s just say you don’t want to bother her at the office Christmas party.
42. Women always dig men who smoke their pipes with Prince Albert.
So, fellas, I hope all the lifelong heart and respiratory problems is worth it. Because we all know tobacco use doesn’t make you a hit with the ladies once the lung cancer sets in.
43. With Armour Star, you can make delectable appetizers.
On second thought, this looks really disgusting. So thanks but no thanks.
44. This Christmas, you can give her some Pyrex wares for $4.90.
Well, Pyrex does make great glass kitchen ware. But as a gift for her, not so much. Besides, Santa, what about the men who’d want Pyrex stuff?
45. Not sure what she wants for Christmas? Give her some Community spoons.
No, I don’t think women fantasize about spoons for Christmas. In fact, we ladies really don’t think much about them.
46. Ladies, use this little model to let your husband know you want this large store vac for Christmas.
Then again, at least he’ll get a hit. Still, what gets me is, why the hell would anyone want a vacuum for Christmas?
47. Give your wife a Eureka vacuum for Christmas. She’ll certainly love it.
But give me one of these, I will most likely scream. Seriously, I hate these things.
48. Joan Crawford always gives her friends a carton of Lucky Strikes.
And you thought she was terrible to her kids. Now you her giving the gift of lung cancer. Too bad many of her Hollywood friends died from tobacco related ailments.
49. Give your little girl this Cheerful Tearful doll for Christmas this year.
Though this doll is more of a Fearful Tearful doll than anything else. Mostly because she scares the living shit out of me.
50. Without Murad cigarettes what would Christmas be?
I don’t know, healthier? Because cigarettes inflict lifelong health problems and early death.
51. Nothing makes a family Christmas like a new Plymouth.
Yet, that boy seems like he’s utterly insane. Hope he doesn’t try to torture the family dog.
52. Coca Cola is always a refreshing surprise for Santa.
So little Sally just had to walk in when Santa was raiding the fridge. Hope St. Nick gives her what she wants or she’ll call the police for breaking and entering.
53. This Christmas, Santa Claus gives out Old Gold from his sleigh.
Santa, how dare you toss out cartons of cigarettes to all the girls and boys. Have you no shame? Aren’t you worried about the kiddies getting lung cancer?
54. For last minute gifts, you can always go with Four Roses.
For nothing makes the holidays merry like stocking up with booze. Available at your neighborhood liquor store.
55. Listen to your favorite Christmas music with a Telecron Timers clock radio.
Go ahead, listen to these disembodied heads with Santa hats this holiday season. Though if you work in retail, you might as well smash this clock radio with a sledge hammer.
56. Everyone’s eager for Seager’s at the office Christmas party.
Wait a minute? This is a family Christmas party. Well, in that case, the adults will be getting totally wasted. Too bad Aunt Bertha can’t join the fun since she’s the designated driver.
57. Fuel your holiday ride with Ethyl.
This is the oil company that had gasoline that contained tetralead as an “antiknock fluid.” Naturally, that additive resulted in widespread lead pollution along with life-threatening health problems.
58. Czechoslovakia celebrates Christmas with Walker’s Gin.
Sorry, but 1940s Czechoslovakia wasn’t a happy place thanks to WWII and the Iron Curtain Communist takeover. Then again, they’re probably really drunk right now.
59. There’s no better Christmas gift than something from HC Jewelers.
Let’s hope whoever gave this woman this necklace isn’t the old guy. Or if it is, let’s hope he’s her dad.
60. Clear heads choose Calvert Happy Blends for the holidays.
Didn’t know Arctic woodland creatures boozed up during the holidays. Hope those polar bears aren’t drunk on the sleigh.
61. Electric tree lights are always clean, simple, and safe.
Though that kind of electric lighting doesn’t look very safe to me. Still, I guess it’s in the context of the times. Also, that girl looks kind of freaky.
62. Pepsi always refreshes this woman’s slender figure without filling.
Sorry, but she won’t retain her slender figure with a Pepsi. Because soft drinks are notorious for causing diabetes and obesity.
63. This Christmas, give a Browning rifle.
I understand the need to make money. But save the occasional Daisy BB gun, real guns don’t make good Christmas gifts for obvious reasons. They’re not toys. They kill people for God’s sake.
64. Carnation Milk wish you “Peace on Earth” this holiday season.
Because we all know that kids could make lots of noise, am I right? Oh, and here’s a recipe for pudding as the little brats drive you up a wall.
65. Looks like Santa had a shaving mishap at the barber’s shop.
Yeah, seeing Santa without his beard is quite disturbing. Doesn’t look right at all.
66. “Here, kids, enjoy your new puppy I gave you.”
Sorry, but Christmas puppies are never a good idea at all (unless you or your family really want one and chose the dog well in advance). And no, Santa shouldn’t even bring them one for obvious reasons.
67. Santa always enjoys a good smoke with Murad cigarettes.
Yes, kiddies, Santa smokes. Get used to it. And yes, he’s being a terrible role model and doesn’t car if he gets lung cancer.
68. This Christmas, Santa recommends Dewar’s White Label as a Christmas Jubilee Spirit.
Apparently, even Santa likes to stock up on booze for the holidays. Hope he’s not wasted while he’s on his sled. Maybe that explains why he gives some children terrible Christmas presents.
69. This Christmas, put a Ford Pinto under your tree.
Doesn’t the Pinto have a reputation for exploding. So maybe a Pinto under your tree isn’t a good idea.
70. Santa loves to drink a Falstaff on his Christmas Eve rounds.
No wonder why Santa looks drunk sometimes. Somebody put him on a Twelve Step Program.