Though fall may be upon us, it still seems too early for Halloween mostly because it’s September. Yet, you might not be able to tell by how the stores see it since it’s a rather profitable holiday. However, there are some decorations you can put in your home or garden right now since they’re generally for fall. One of these are scarecrows. Sure they may not be great for discouraging birds from getting into field crops or garden veggies. Nor do they often seem scary. But if you have straw and some old clothes lying around, you might be able to make one. And you don’t have to be a farmer or gardener either. After all, there are plenty of scarecrow festivals and contests, especially in Great Britain. Though a lot of the British ones usually take place during the spring and summer. But there’s a fall scarecrow festival in the Canadian Nova Scotia involving “pumpkin people” or scarecrows with pumpkin heads. You might also find scarecrow villages such as Nagoro, Japan that consists of 350 of them in a town of 35 people. Or at Joe’s Scarecrow Village in Cape Breton, Canada that’s mainly seen as a roadside attraction. Nevertheless, for your reading pleasure, I give you another assortment of scarecrows to enjoy.
- Apparently, we’ve just experienced a strong gust of wind.
Okay, maybe not since they’re made holding a pole. But they just seem totally blown away.
2. Never thought I’d see a crow in flannels.
Though the crow doesn’t seem right in the head. Still, it’s pretty clever.
3. Sometimes a simple dress is all you need.
This one doesn’t seem to take a lot of effort to make. Just a wooden frame, gloves, a dress, and a potted plant.
4. How about sit back and smell the flowers?
She may be sitting in the shade. But even a gardener needs a break now and then.
5. You’d have to wonder why these old crows keep up their spirits.
I mean one’s riding a wheelbarrow because they had their car repossessed. Don’t believe me? It says so on the sign.
6. If you want to stand out, it pays to dress in pink.
She even has a straw hat and straw braids with pink bows. So lovely.
7. Looks like someone’s afraid of heights.
Well, it’s not going to help looking down. Also, you can easily jump off if you want to.
8. Perhaps you might want to ride a bike in the countryside.
Because there’s nothing like the wind against your back in the fresh country air. Though I’d wear a helmet for safety’s sake.
9. “Go ahead, nip at me all you want.”
For some reason, the crows don’t seem to mind him too much. Then again, his head is a literal pumpkin.
10. This old man is all potted from head to toe.
Seems kind of spiffy with his bow tie and buttons. Yet, has some grass coming out of his head.
11. Surely, you can’t find a more noble knight like this.
Yes, he has a foam sword and can’t fight. But he at least got a ribbon.
12. All this hippie scarecrow wants is peace, man.
Here he sits with his guitar in hand. However, please don’t give him a joint since he’s flammable.
13. You can always keep fit on an exercise bike.
Though it took me awhile to notice what it was. Guess it’s a simpler model.
14. Here comes a milkmaid with her pails.
Sure we don’t have milkmaids anymore. But she doesn’t seem to mind the extra weight on her shoulders.
15. You can tell this bishop’s in a thoughtful mood.
Though he is an Anglican bishop. Yet, you have to admire his fancy attire.
16. The choice is yours: scarecrow or puppet?
Okay, that’s actually pretty scary. But what’s scarier is that 63 million Americans were willing to vote for him.
17. “I ate his stuffing with a fine Chianti and some fava beans.”
Yes, that’s Hannibal Lecter from Silence of the Lambs. Sure he’s supposed to be scary, but he kind of has a rather magnetic personality.
18. Ali Baba is always up for adventure.
Though don’t mind what’s in the basket. Really, it’s kind of horrifying.
19. Introducing from Jamaica Usain Bolt.
So he’s actually made out of bolts. Okay, that’s actually very clever.
20. All hail the divine fidget spinner.
Now that has to be one large fidget spinner. Not sure how you can fit that in your pocket.
21. Shaun the Sheep hangs out with the farmer.
Shaun the Sheep is a claymation cartoon in Britain. It’s mostly slapstick but it’s cute.
22. Beware of the dark figure on a black horse.
Yes, it looks like one of those ring wraiths from Lord of the Rings. But you have to admire how it’s made out of trash bags.
23. Don’t tell me the Three Wisemen have shown up.
Okay, it’s kind of early for that. I mean it’s September and Christmas won’t be until December.
24. Wonder what these cowboys are watching.
Sure they may not have much straw in them. But they seem to be avid fans at whatever they’re watching. Like how they use normal street clothes.
25. You can’t find anything lovelier than an umbrella dress.
So she may be a doll. But at least you have to love her purple umbrella skirt with flowers. So pretty.
26. Don’t look now, but I see some minions on the roof.
Guess this is from Despicable Me 2. As far as the purple minion is concerned.
27. I’m sure you can’t resist this all-American girl.
I’m sure she’s perfect for any Rhinestone Cowboy. And she’s even wearing American flag tights.
28. Seems like this scarecrow painter is quite the artist.
Seems like the guy could paint better than most people. Then again, some repressed art major probably made him and his work.
29. The Caped Crusader seems very stuffed for some reason.
Okay, so whoever made this didn’t get Batman’s chest right. However, it’s very difficult to make a chiseled chest from straw.
30. How about a nice bottle of wine with this country gentleman?
My. he appears spiffy. Even has a sunflower on his lapel.
31. Behold, the dreaded squid king.
Not sure why this exist. But I think it more likely draws crows in than scares them away.
32. This bearded scarecrow knows how to keep it cool.
Cause if you’re all full of straw, there’s not much to stuff about. Also, you have to admire the sunglasses and beard.
33. Apparently, this hive’s all out of honey.
Actually this hive is made out of straw. But don’t worry, there aren’t any bees around this beekeeper to sting you.
34. Bet you’d never come across this angel in a tree.
On one hand, she kind of looks a bit creepy with those eyes. On the other hand, you have to like her tinsel and pigtails.
35. You’d swear it was the 1960s for these ladies.
Okay, so it’s not the Vietnam era. But you have to love their hats and tie-dye dresses.
36. Wallace and Gromit are always a delight on any afternoon.
Even has Sean the Sheep. Like how they have a table with cheese and Gromit reading a magazine.
37. You’d almost think these two merely boarded together.
After all, they’re both made from wooden ironing boards. But they certainly make a lovely couple.
38. Bet you’d never thought these scarecrows could make it in time.
Even has a dalek alongside him. Though to be fair, this was from 2006. And we know the new Doctor has gotten blonde and more ladylike since then.
39. This Humpty Dumpty scarecrow is up on a brick wall.
Though I wouldn’t push him because you can’t put him back together again. Seriously, you can’t.
40. This guitarist is all made of straw.
This one is from Taiwan. And yes, even if its guitar is made from hay.
41. Guess Dracula really can go out on a sunny day.
Though I do admit, this does make a great Halloween decoration. Wouldn’t mind seeing this on someone’s lawn.
42. Here we come to a knight with his sword and shield.
Well, he certainly looks like you can find him in a castle. Though medieval knights were anything but noble.
43. Of course, nobody can resist scarecrows of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Kind of disappointing that this Snow White’s singing may not get woodland creatures to clean your home. But these are adorable.
44. A Scottish scarecrow always looks dashing in a kilt.
Though he’s wearing pants under it. Mostly because he’s stuffed with straw.
45. I’m sure you might admire this ravishing beauty queen.
She’s from a scarecrow festival in France. Yet, I love how her dress is decked with butterflies.
46. You’d have to admire this Indian chief’s rainbow headdress.
Well, at least the warbonnet being used on an Indian. Though to be fair, this is from a festival in France. Still, love it.
47. If you love Rococo, this Marie Antoinette scarecrow will suit your fancy.
Her hair is made from styrofoam balls. Her skirt is made from an umbrella and table cloth.
48. Seems like we have a Loch Ness monster along the hedges.
Unlike the real Loch Ness monster, you know this one definitely exists. Sure it’s not scary, but it’s great.
49. Take some time to visit some pickle ladies.
This is from a festival in Mississippi. And yes, it’s for a pickle factory.
50. Need a haircut? These salon ladies got you covered.
Not sure what to make about the pink covers. But it’s quite an inventive display.
51. This cleaning lady will make your house spotless.
Or she could just be a British housewife with an apron and a babushka. Though she does have a head made from a volleyball.
52. Seems like this cowboy would rather hang out near his shed.
Or is it his house. Either way, he seems to take it easy for some reason.
53. It takes a certain kind of woman to pull off a polka dot dress.
Well, a polka dot pink dress anyway. Still, you have to love her hair.
54. Seems like someone is in a real emergency situation.
It’s a rescue helicopter that lifts injured people to a hospital. And yes, the helicopter itself is made from straw.
55. Kids, sleep tight if you want Flossina the Tooth Fairy to leave something for you.
Didn’t know the tooth fairy even had a name. Still, this is quite clever.
56. Apparently, they’re about to start the operation.
Though the doctors seem like they’re carrying on. Then again, they’re smiling because they have plastic pumpkin heads.
57. There’s nothing more holy for your garden than a St. Francis scarecrow.
He’s even surrounded by animals. Got some critters on his arms. Wonder if he gets these creatures to clean his house.
58. Nothing beats a scarecrow lightsaber duel in your front lawn.
This part of a scarecrow display on some Star Wars fan’s lawn. And yes, that’s a straw Death Star.
59. Bet you’ve never seen this cowboy jumping a fence.
Almost what you see in the western movies. And yes, even the horse is straw.
60. This Imperial Stormtrooper will shoot the stuffing out of you.
Okay, I’m just kidding since Stormtroopers don’t hit anything. Yet, you have to like his cardboard helmet.
61. These brooms could almost sweep you of your feet.
They also have hangers for arms and shoulders. Still, they look so happy together.
62. How about seeing Zorro in your flower garden?
Not exactly Antonio Banderas, but a pretty good rendition. The horse is covered with trash bags by the way.
63. Hope this scientist can get to the bottom of this.
Seems like he has 3 high tech microscopes on the table. Wonder what his findings are about hay fever.
64. And now, we got a straw man on the trampoline.
He’s even wearing a jumpsuit. Though trampolining isn’t what I’d call a sport.
65. Here we come to a scarecrow from the 18th century.
Even has crows near its straw. Wonder if there’s a scarecrow nearby of the Headless Horseman.
66. Bet you didn’t expect this trusty pirate.
Yes, that’s a pirate. I know it seems hard to see. But look closer and you’ll get what I mean.
67. “Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.”
R2-D2 is a trash can in this one. And even Princess Leia’s sticky bun hair is made from straw.
68. Chances are you’ve never seen a scarecrow go through a ring of fire.
Okay, that’s not a real ring of fire obviously. But it’s a killer daredevil stunt.
69. Sometimes a grenadier at your door is all you need.
Though the head on a pike shows that he’s not fooling around. Yet, he stands still at the door always keeping watch.
70. Here we find Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble joy riding on the town.
Of course, they have to put their feet to the car to move. I know Stone Age technology is a bitch.
71. Hope you get some tasty buns from these bakers.
Sure they may not be tasty on the barrel or tray. But you can give them all hay for it.
72. Apparently, stripper scarecrows also exist.
She’s even offering pole dancing classes. Like anyone would want to take that. Well, unless they’re needing the money.
73. Seems like Queen Victoria isn’t amused.
Here we have the Queen in full mourning attire after Prince Albert died of typhus. She’d dress like that from 1861 to her death in 1901.
74. Why take this Joker so seriously?
Because the Joker is totally nuts and is a walking hazard on Gotham. Also, he’s a total and raging psychopath Batman often fights with.
75. Someone has their head in the sand.
Guess this is what the Republican Party has become these days. That or this guy really wants to get rid of that mole.
76. You’d swear this scarecrow astronaut is out of this world.
Though you wouldn’t be wearing a suit like that while in space. Also, astronauts wear diapers under them.
77. “I call him mini Santa.”
It’s supposed to be Santa on vacation. Not sure why he has the mini Santa with him.
78. This bookworm has quite the literary taste.
Well, I have to admit, books are great. After all, I would know.
79. You might want to catch a ride with this witch.
She has pink hair and a strapless dress. And I don’t think she’s wearing shoes either.
80. Rejoice for he has ascended into hayven.
Here we have Jesus risen up to heaven. May not scare or convert crows. But it’s sure a rather sacred piece made from straw.