Soon autumn will be upon us and so would Halloween. Fall is known as the harvest season and one of the most iconic images of harvest is the scarecrow, which is meant to scare birds like crows or sparrows from eating the crops. Yet, I’m sure that the critters would be frightened but a human effigy filled with straw, not. Yet they are seen as cultural icons in literature and are portrayed with different personalities. The Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz is said to have no brain (or so what he thinks) and does great choreography due to the talents of Ray Bolger. In the Kojiki from 712, the Japanese Kuebiko may no be able to walk but knows everything about the world as well as worshiped as a god of agriculture, wisdom, and scholarship, which is pretty ironic for one to sing, “If I Only Had a Brain.” Then Nathaniel Hawthorne’s Feathertop is in league with the devil and the Scarecrow is seen as a villainous character in the DC universe. Still, there are also a lot of scarecrow festivals which have people making their own straw garden figures such as in the UK since the 1990s, where it is also a significant figure in culture (especially in a nation of gardening fanatics). In this post we cover a lot of people’s fall creations of these loveable straw stuffed icons which I shall list accordingly.
1. “The hills are alive with the sound of scarecrows.”
I’m sorry but Fraulein Maria hailed from Austria not Thornhill. Still, I like how they have “Problem, Maria?” on her chest.
2. Hey, I didn’t know I could use one of those to water my plants.
Of course, there’s no magic charm to make it animated. Yet, I think this is quite clever.
3. Well, as Bob Dylan said, “The answer my friends is blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind.”
So this is either a tribute to Bob Dylan’s “Blowin’ in the Wind,” or to Gene Kelly’s “Singin’ in the Rain.” I’ll probably go with the former because I don’t remember Gene Kelly having to cling to a lampost in that movie.
4. Oh, look it’s the Swan Princess.
Then again, this seems like a goose bride than a swan princess. Still, I do love that white dress with the feathers on it. Wonder if its creator ever wore it in her own wedding assuming it’s a she.
5. Of course, what would this post be without a scarecrow of Lady Gaga?
Still, I can’t help but be disappointed in this scarecrow. I mean given Lady Gaga’s reputation for wearing outlandish outfits, her dress is pretty tame. Perhaps her dressing up as a straw princess or a crow would’ve been more appropriate. The goose bride routine would’ve been perfect.
6. As Forrest Grump said, “Life is like a box of eyeballs, you never know what you’re gonna get.”
Of course, for those who don’t know anything about Forrest Grump, it’s a lot like Forrest Gump but with zombies. Still, stupid is as stupid does.
7. If you’re into cutesy things from Japan, then you’d certainly love this Hello Kitty scarecrow.
Still, I have to explain that it’s creator said that Hello Kitty isn’t actually a cat. Also, this isn’t really a Hello Kitty scarecrow. Yet, I like the bamboo heart.
8. Now I didn’t know that there were scarecrows into reggae music.
Still, I’m not sure if newspaper makes convincing dreadlocks. Yet, I have to admire the creator’s intent on making a scarecrow that’s more eco-friendly.
9. Hey, it’s Scarecrow Gru and his pumpkin minions from Despicable Me.
The minions from Despicable Me is a popular scarecrow subject at festivals since they’re easy to make. Still, I bet the guy who did this took great advantage of early pumpkin sales and paint.
10. “It’s fun to scare at the Y. M. C. A.”
How did they manage to get pumpkin carvings that resembled sport and have them be so smooth like that, I have no idea. This especially goes to the football head.
11. Hey, I didn’t know they had scarecrow versions of the Munsters.
Seems like a recreation of the time when Herman was talking about proposing to Lily with Grandpa. Then again, it’s not that the Munsters see themselves as anything other than being the average American family.
12. “Here comes the sun, and I say, it’s all right.”
Now this scarecrow may seem a little creepy, but I think its folksy disposition makes it a much better spokesman for Jimmy Dean sausage than the Sun they have now.
13. It’s Halloween with Charlie Brown and Snoopy.
Well, unlike what you see in the comics, this Charlie Brown scarecrow display seems like a winner as I see from the ribbon.
14. I’ve found Scarecrow Waldo!
Of course, a scarecrow of Waldo isn’t really that hard to spot. Still, it’s pretty funny.
15. Of course, scarecrows aren’t just a thing in the west you know.
I mean Japan has worshiped one as a god for years. Still, I’m sure you couldn’t tell this family was Asian if you didn’t see what the dad was wearing.
16. Ladies and gentleman, may introduce to you the Tinman’s brother, Watering Can Man.
Of course, unlike his famous brother from The Wizard of Oz, Watering Can Man works in the landscaping business as shown by his gardening implements.
17. Well, wedding bales are surely ringing in this time of year.
Notice that I said, “wedding bales” instead of “wedding bells.” Still, these two really seem to be made for each other. Then again, they literally are.
18. My, my, that’s one purdy scare cow you have there, sir.
Seriously, if it weren’t for the straw sticking out, I’d sure almost mistake that cow as the real thing or a large stuffed animal.
19. Now here’s a nice tribute for Gone with the Wind with a Scarlett O’Hara scarecrow.
Actually, that’s Scarlett O’Hara from the Gone with the Wind spoof on The Carol Burnett Show. Of course, she just saw that curtain dress in the window and just had to have it.
20. Never in my life have I seen a firefighter so flammable as this one.
Of course, this scarecrow was probably made by a local fire department. Yet, I’m not sure if being stuffed with straw makes a good firefighter.
21. Hey, look, it’s the Cheese String Man.
Of course, this might be at tribute to WuShock, the mascot from Wichita State, but I hope not. Still, Cheese String Man is much better as a scarecrow.
22. Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles.
You know that I wasn’t going to leave out the Beatles, did you? I always seem to have the Beatles in Sand Sculptures in Peep Dioramas for some reason.
23. Of course, I’m sure that a Hipster Scarecrow can do the job of scaring critters.
I’m sure nobody wants to hear what this scarecrow has on his or her ipod. I mean crows just can’t stand the music from Counting Crows, get it?
24. So would you want some milk with that?
I’m sure that scarecrow’s mother is worried about him possibly breaking his neck when he’s climbing buildings like this. Still, pretty clever.
25. Of course, no scarecrow post would be complete without a tribute to Grant Wood’s American Gothic.
Now I’m sure Depression era farmers would have much better things to do than just make scarecrows for some contest like surviving the Dust Bowl. Still, American Gothic is a very iconic American painting.
26. Now I can’t believe crows could ever do this to each other.
Still, despite unfortunate implications, I’m sure this scarecrow display may actually scare crows. I mean to them, it’s suggestive of cannibalism.
27. Even scarecrows need self-help books about scaring crows now and then.
I mean no scarecrow is born with the innate ability to scare crows. Crow scaring is an art that needs to be learned.
28. Of course, you can’t have a scarecrow contest without one of Edward Scissorhands.
Sure he may have scissors as hands, but Edward isn’t that scary once you get to know him. In fact, he’s quite nice really but that doesn’t mean you should shake hands with him.
29. Of course, you can’t have a scarecrow post without posting a display from The Wizard of Oz.
Because one of the main characters we remember from that movie is a scarecrow. Get it? Still, looks pretty creepy.
30. Hey, look, it’s the Justice League of scarecrows.
Wait a minute, the Incredible Hulk is from Marvel and an Avenger. Also, where the hell is Batman? Oh, well.
31. Scarecrows don’t seem to be very good in skiing do they?
I mean skiing scarecrows always seem to be running in to something like poles.
32. Looks like Darth Vader is occupied with some recreational reading right now.
I wouldn’t disturb him if I were you. I mean you don’t want him to force choke you? Oh, wait he does that to guys who fail him.
33. Since when do crows actually wear clothes?
Sure it’s cute and sharp dressed. However, I hopes it’s not one of the racist crow caricatures from Dumbo. You don’t want any unfortunate implications there.
34. Hey, I’ve never seen an invisible scarecrow before.
I’m sure the crows would be more frightened by an invisible scarecrow than a visible one. Still, it’s pretty clever if I do say so myself and he seems rather friendly.
35. Of course, you might not want to go anywhere near this scarecrow crime scene or contamination site.
“I’m afraid this one died from a wound that resulted in the loss of an excessive amount of straw. I say it was the neighborhood dog.”
36. Hey, it’s nice that these two scarecrow ladies seem nice enough to offer refreshments.
Now I’m sure these two are from a movie I’ve seen or something but I’m not sure where from. Still, they seem pretty creepy if you ask me. I mean they seem to hate their waitress jobs so much that they’re willing to kill a few unsatisfied customers for kicks.
37. This scarecrow seems to be on his way of becoming an artiste.
Wow, that picture really looks just like him which is more than I can say about anything I could do. Seriously, he has a lot of talent.
38. Seems like a great graveyard wedding going on here.
I’m sure this ghost or corpse bride will be very happy with her new accountant ghost for all eternity. Of course, he doesn’t seem to be that scary.
39. Seems that this scarecrow is doing some surveying work during this time.
I hope this scarecrow isn’t from the gas companies. I seriously hope he’s not. Let’s just say I have absolutely no confidence that fracking is safe and leave it at that.
40. “Hello, hello, hello, what have we got here?”
In the world of British murder mysteries, this scene may look like a suicide judging by the gas can and shoes. However, it’s actually murder though I’m not sure who did it.
41. Wow, I didn’t know they had scarecrow fairies out there.
She does have a very pretty dress and wings as well as seems like something designed by a 10 year old girl. Still, I can’t hate this.
42. Hey, it’s Catwoman!
Of course, while Catwoman would’ve had an easier life if she’d just marry Batman, she seems to like stealing things for some reason. Still, reminds me of the Catwoman from the 1960s show more than anything.
43. Looks like this scarecrow knows what to do with that old broken down tractor.
Of course, this is how people go on fall hayrides in Venice, Italy. Still, I’m not sure about the whole water hayride bit.
44. Look, it’s Linus in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin.
Of course, we all should know that Linus tends to waste his Halloween waiting for the Great Pumpkin every year. Let’s face it, the Great Pumpkin never comes, kids.
45. Just a bunch of camping scarecrows roasting marshmallows by the fire.
Seems that they seem to like camping despite that a campfire would basically consume them in flames. Still, who doesn’t love smores?
46. Hey, look, it’s the guys from ZZTop.
Hey isn’t there supposed to be a third guy? Then again, it’s not like we notice him anyway. Still, you have to love those guys’ awesome beards.
47. For you Olympic lovers out there, here’s a scarecrow of Michael Phelps to tell you he’s the greatest swimmer around.
Of course, Michael Phelps didn’t win all those gold medals from nothing. Still, who cares whether he was caught smoking pot from a bong?
48. Well, I didn’t know that scarecrows did road construction.
Wait a minute, road season is during the summer while scarecrows are associated with fall. I’m so confused. Then again, he may not be from PennDOT since he seems to be coming from a manhole.
49. Can’t do a post for scarecrows without including Wallace and Gromit.
Of course, Wallace is one of the few guys who can don a sweater vest and not have anyone think him lame. Still, without his trusty dog Gromit bailing him out, he’d be sunk.
50. This scarecrow seems to be from the land of Mexico.
Despite the Mexican stereotypes, this is actually a good Mexican scarecrow, especially with the skull mask from The Day of the Dead. Still, are those cowboy boots?
51. Hey, keep those pumpkin buns in your pants won’t you?
Sometimes scarecrows can have the poorest manners comparable to fratboys. Still, he should think of the children.
52. Look, kiddies, here’s Strawbob Squarepants.
The reason he’s called Strawbob is because he’s made out of straw not sponge. Of course, I don’t need to tell you where this takes off from.
53. Of course, all scarecrow race car drivers need a pit stop now and then.
Still, we should probably give this guy some privacy as he relieves himself.
54. Hey, what the hell is this supposed to be? An escaped inmate from the asylum?
Actually, this would make a good scarecrow of Lady Gaga. Still, this will certainly scare crows if you know what I mean.
55. Now that scarecrow lady seems to have had too much plastic surgery.
Still, I can’t help but wonder if this one was made for some theme park or something. It doesn’t seem to be made from old clothes or pumpkins.
56. Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, here are some scarecrows in pink.
Sure it may seem childish or a little girl’s dream but it’s for a good cause nonetheless. And breast cancer is a very nasty disease that does kill people.
57. Who’s my little scarecrow? You are, you are.
Now that is one creepy little scarecrow. Imagine what he’ll become when he gets older. Also, what’s that in his bowl?
58. Who knew that a scarecrow could look so good in a pink dress?
Still, I wonder how the flowers seem to be so lifelike yet not appear to die. Oh, I get it they’re fake.
59. Of course, scarecrows do have their share of potheads.
I mean scarecrows that have pots for heads, get it? Still, this one does seem to sport a hair style that seems to remind me of someone off The Simpsons.
60. Of course, sometimes you have to make a scarecrow with all you got, even stuff from a junkyard.
Of course, he doesn’t really look that bad save being a bit rusty. Also, the name “Rusty” kind of suits him.
61. Just a lovely afternoon with the Tinman, his wife, and their dog.
Yes, they have flowers on their heads. Yes, that’s a dog made out of cans. And yes, Mrs. Tinman’s breasts are cone shaped. Still, it’s just a scarecrow display, man.
62. Man, that scarecrow must be very strong to lift weights like that.
Seems pretty strong despite his thin arms. Then again, those bar bells seemed to be made of plastic.
63. Bring in the harvest season with the spirit of fall.
Of course, I wonder how she managed to make a skirt out of those leaves. Yet, I love the sunflowers in her hair. Still, seems like an oversized rag doll.
64. Just a little girl crossing a bridge with a big troll in her way.
I know this is perhaps from some Asian story but I’m not sure what tale it is. Seems like a an Asian take off from “The Three Billy Goats Gruff” for me.
65. Even scarecrows can be real knit wits if you know what I mean.
How does this scarecrow manage to make colorful outfits without moving its arms I have no idea. Still, very pretty.
66. Ladies and gentlemen, Counting Crows.
Forgot that Counting Crows didn’t consist of actual crows. My mistake. Probably just a cover group.
67. Sometimes scarecrows like to be behind the camera.
Of course, I kind of find the concept with this one behind a camcorder rather creepy if you ask me.
68. Sometimes scarecrows just like to dress up.
And I see this group of pumpkin headed straw stuffed people are very much styling. Still, I’m not sure about the guy’s suit though. Looks like pajamas.
69. Sometimes scarecrows are used to protect crops and sometimes they are made out of them.
This one won’t be scaring crows as much as helping critters to an all you can eat buffet. Seriously, it’s basically saying, “Eat me!”
70. Scarecrow Mona Lisa seems to like sitting on a ledge.
Of course, she’s sitting on a chair on a railing. Still, you have to include a Mona Lisa scarecrow in this post.
71. A scarecrow mother’s work is never done.
This is especially true if she’s working a shift as a cashier at some grocery store which I think this one does.
72. Man, seems like scarecrow nuns really like to jam to music.
Of course, we all know that these scarecrow nuns are singing, “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?” The priest is just trying to do the Robot but is really bad at it.
73. Sometimes scarecrows can catch certain moments you remember like the scene from Titanic.
Of course, we all know what happens to Jack after this. Still, how did this person have all that time on their hands to design this?
74. This scarecrow seems to really like the birds.
Still, she’s a scarecrow which means she usually tries to scare crows. Still, I’m sure she delights in those paper birds.
75. I’m sure all scarecrows need a place to drink their sorrows away.
Still, you have to admit that making a scarecrow out of corks is a pretty good idea, especially if the display is “Corky’s Bar.”
76. Looks like this guy has the catch of the day.
Of course, this fisherman scarecrow can’t catch any fish on dry land. Still, love the raincoat and net.
77. Of course, if you want to scare dogs, you might want to go with this.
Yeah, since basically Cruella De Vil wants to make coats from domestic dog fur. Such acts are illegal and really won’t make you any friends with the ASPCA or the Humane Society.
78. Seems like the wind so strong he’s trying not to get blown away.
Then again, straw is a fairly light material. Still, I think this scarecrow display is quite funny as he’s hanging from a pole.
79. “Say aah! This won’t hurt a bit.”
Not sure if a dentist scarecrow is guaranteed to scare crows. But it’ll sure scare some people who are afraid of dentists.
80. Of course, when it comes to scarecrows, it’s best that you go with a cat one.
Not sure if the Cat in the Hat is guaranteed to scare crows. But since it’s the most famous Dr. Seuss character, I’ll put it in this post.