Here is me and my relatives at my Aunt Mary’s on Christmas Eve around 2011, I think. Here am I on the couch with my cousins Frank and John along with their parents. The kids in front are my cousins Jenna, Aiden, Isabella, Morgan, and Sawyer.
Yes, we all have photos from Christmas since they seem to contain memories we want to last forever. This is especially when families have children since they don’t stay kids for long. Yet, as I’ve shown before in these posts, not every Christmas goes according to plan. After all, the days leading up to it can be uniquely stressful since there’s decorating, finding gifts, making the food, doing cards, and what not.Some families might take a step further and do a family portrait for their Christmas card. And there are moments when that can go horribly wrong. Yet, there are plenty of crazy family Christmas cards which people do on purpose. Not to mention, families can also take their kids to see Santa which doesn’t always turn out that well, especially if the Santa in question is quite sketchy. At any rate, for your reading pleasure, I give you another treasure trove of Christmas memories from Awkward Family Photos. Sure you might not find these in a Hallmark stock photo deck but I’m sure they’ll make you relate.
- Christmas is a time of high spirits and good cheer.
Apparently, this isn’t the case with the sisters. But the brother seems happy. Though you can argue he’s just showing off.
2. Christmas is always a time for families to get together and celebrate.
Of course, for many families, this very much reflects the holiday reality. Yeah, those kids can be a real source of stress.
3. Over the holidays, sibling rivalry can sometimes spiral out of control.
As you can see, the brother puts a bowl over the baby and the baby doesn’t like it. If you think kids were brats today, this proves you wrong.
4. Ugly Christmas sweaters are always fun and festive for all ages.
I guess this kid doesn’t believe in Santa Claus anymore. Hope he doesn’t try to disillusion the classmates who do.
5. Being single can be tough over the holidays, especially if your married siblings send a Christmas card with their picture on it.
This woman did some Christmas cards of herself for years as a single woman. They often feature alcoholic drinks. This one depicts a mannequin boyfriend.
6. Seems like they had a special day to bring pets to the mall.
Okay, bringing your dog for a Santa photoshoot is one thing. Reptiles? I’m not so sure.
7. The moment you realize that your parents forgot to buy Christmas cards this year.
Yeah, reusing Christmas cards may not be the best idea. This is especially when there’s some stuff crossed out.
8. There’s no more memorable Christmas carol like, “Hark! This Herald Angel Ain’t Gonna Sing.”
Hey, even little angels can have the occasional bad attitude sometimes. They can’t all be angelic all the time.
9. The moment you realize the family Christmas card photoshoot is taking longer than your capacity to smile.
“Do we have to take it again? Oh, brother, when will this ever end?” I’m sure we’ve all been there.
10. The war of sisterly rivalry can sometimes begin when you least expect it.
At least my parents can relax because Molly and I were never like that when we were young. Still, you have to admire the parents though.
11. These kids don’t seem to look forward to Santa’s Annual Challenge.
While the two middle kids cry, the oldest brother covers his ears to drown out the sound. The baby just sits there having no idea what’s going on and pondering the meaning of life.
12. No, I don’t think that’s the right way to hold a baby.
Yeah, the father’s hand placement really doesn’t look good here. And the baby is not amused by it at all.
13. Spending the holidays alone can be a real bummer.
This is especially when you’re spending it alone in the woods drinking. Girl’s got problems.
14. “How about we all help Daddy shave?”
Now this is freaky photoshop. Yes, they had these in the 1950s, too. Don’t ask me.
15. Sometimes it’s the most unexpected gift which you treasure the most.
And this dad holds his new toilet plunger with pride. Not many men would do the same.
16. Grandma and Grandpa give you best wishes for Christmas and announce that they’ve decided to give themselves a gift to invest in the future.
I know my grandparents have put some money into their own funerals. But they wouldn’t show it on a family Christmas card. This is just insane and disturbing.
17. Sibling rivalry: they always start so young.
Yes, baby sisters aren’t always so sweet as you’d think they’d be. This baby pulls her sister’s own hair.
18. Christmas always brings tidings of comfort and joy.
Apparently, this doesn’t apply to these sisters. This is particularly the case with the youngest being knocked on the floor.
19. Sometimes accidents could happen at the most inappropriate moment.
Well, at least the baby is safe. But the older sister might not like being in the middle of it. Yeah, family togetherness has its ups and downs.
20. When you’re on call during Christmas, you can get the most interesting patients.
This was on a board in a hospital. Dr. Mest will have a lot of interesting stories to tell come January.
21. In the olden days, it was common for families having to settle for the only Christmas tree available.
This one is known as a Giant Charlie Brown Tree. Yet, unlike what to cartoon shows us, decorating it doesn’t enhance its beauty.
22. There’s nothing more devastating on Christmas than a burning gingerbread house.
Yeah, that’s not a good sight to see during the holidays. Hope this little girl doesn’t get too traumatized.
23. “This Christmas we decided to chop down a shrub to save money.”
Hey, not all evergreen trees can be triangle shaped. Still, this looks pretty ghastly if you ask me.
24. It’s not every day a rock band visits Santa Claus.
Apparently, Santa wasn’t amused by this group and having to take a photo with them. Yet, Santa would rather be photographed with a real band like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.
25. Even when they’re young, sibling unrest can be rampant.
Now Bobby learns the hard way that you can’t boss your little sis for long. Or she might try to retaliate with a vengeance.
26. Seasons Greetings from the Village of the Damned.
I don’t think the dog has much long to live. Those girls have plans. Very sinister plans.
27. While selfies can be seen as enhancing one’s ego, sometimes they can be incredibly helpful.
For instance, while this holiday sweater may seem initially decent, it helps to take a closer look. Definitely not wearing that to Grandma’s house.
28. Santa has some visitors from the South Pole.
To be fair, this is from a family who has a tradition like this. Like how they have bowties on their tuxedos.
29. The moment when you and your girlfriend broke up but she still appears on your family Christmas card.
I’m sure holiday season breakups happen all the time. Still, I think it’s funny they put a sticker on the woman’s face.
30. We need to understand that not every kid looks forward to see Santa.
Yeah, this kids don’t like sitting on Santa’s lap. Meanwhile the girls beside him just smile for the camera.
31. Rachel always preferred a wooden man with a mean bite.
Well, this is awkward. Hey, I know there are plenty of girls who like the Nutcracker. But this is ridiculous.
32. Before you give gifts, always make sure they’re age appropriate first.
Because I know you don’t get a pot leaf poster for anyone under 18. But I think this is supposed to be a joke.
33. Is it just me, or does Santa not seem like his jolly old self lately?
Unfortunately, little Jimmy got stuck with the evil Santa at the mall. He hasn’t been seen since.
34. Christmas is always a time of precious moments.
Yet, in this case, I don’t think little Brittany is holding her brother like that because she loves him. Quite the contrary. Her parents might want to get her some psychiatric testing.
35. There’s always that one angel.
The blond girl is like, “Perfect little angel? My ass.” Yeah, really not in the angelic spirit.
36. “We just had some problems with the Christmas wrapping.”
Grown people dressed as elves for Santa. Not sure what to think about that. Might be less lame if they dressed as elves from Lord of the Rings.
37. Okay, baby, tell us how you really feel about family Christmas card photoshoots.
I guess baby Gabriel couldn’t keep it to himself. Yes, I know photoshoots are a real pain in the ass.
38. “Another blue dress shirt? Well, this sucks.”
Even funnier that this boy is already wearing a shirt like this one. Guess his aunt didn’t get the memo.
39. Seems like Santa doesn’t need a chimney to get in this house.
Because he’s apparently popped out of the attic. Okay, those are just decorations.
40. No, Grandpa, now’s not the time to give Grandma your dick in a box.
I know this is a joke that’s a takeoff from an SNL sketch. And I know I’m pushing the envelope with this one. But I couldn’t avoid including it if I tried.
41. Sometimes even Santa has moments when he questions his sanity.
In this one, Santa wonders whether he’s had too much eggnog. Or too many of Mrs. Claus’s special brownies.
42. Christmas is a time to feel the joy.
Unfortunately, this baby ain’t feeling it. Yeah, babies can be quite temperamental in these photos.
43. This year, Santa went to Whoville.
And once again, he has some interesting stories to tell about that place. Yes, this is pretty ridiculous.
44. For unto us a child is born.
However, nativity scene photo reenactments can only go so far. Having your baby play baby Jesus? Fine and perfectly normal. Having your cat play baby Jesus? What the fuck?
45. What better way to spend Christmas than for a drink among friends?
Don’t get me wrong, they’re all the same woman. Yes, doesn’t seem to be in a jolly mood.
46. Apparently, the heads seem to pop out of the stocking.
This Christmas card was made possible by photoshop and acid. Yes, they had LSD in the 1950s, too. Just ask Cary Grant who promoted it.
47. “Uh, excuse me, Santa, but I have to go to the bathroom.”
“Timmy, that’s no way how to touch yourself in public.” Then again, he doesn’t seem to be comfortable at all.
48. The family that sleeps together, stays together.
Now this is awkward. Let’s hope this one is just reserved for the kids, please.
49. Before you celebrate the holidays, be sure you get the sweater memo.
Yes, this family has the same sweater on for Christmas. But at least they have different colors according to gender.
50. Finally, Suzie has the dress for her pet monkey.
For the record, don’t keep monkeys as pets. Yes, I know they may be cute but they can inflict serious injury. Besides, they’re wild animals not meant for you dress like a doll.
51. Looks like one elf has gone postal.
Relax, these are kids just acting up. Well, at least the younger one is. The older one is trying to restrain.
52. Christmas is always a time to be merry and bright.
Unfortunately, the dogs don’t seem to be jolly. In fact, they seem to be at each other’s throats.
53. When arranging your Christmas towels, make sure they don’t spell anything unfortunate. This is especially if your name is Peterson.
Yeah, that’s really not a great Christmas message. But at least it’s an accurate one for a bathroom.
54. This Christmas, it’s the family that bathes together that stays together.
A family in a tub? Really? Do they have any idea how ridiculous that is? Hope they’re wearing swimsuits, good God.
55. Grumpy Cat really doesn’t want to pose for your Christmas card.
Like how the couple explained their cats on how they couldn’t cooperate. Yeah, cats march to a different drummer.
56. Meanwhile, at a Christmas pageant in Colorado…
Three wisemen come from the East bearing gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh-uana. Luckily Willie Nelson did a Christmas song on myrrh-uana on Colbert’s Christmas special.
57. “We’d like to wish our family a Merry Christmas…from Florida.”
The flamingo is not fooling anybody. Like the shark costume. And the Santa statue.
58. “Please, please, take us away from this man! Please, we beg you!”
Poor Santa doesn’t seem to know what to do here. Still, a lot of kids are scared of Santa. Remember that.
59. Nothing says Christmas like spending a day in a sauna with your family.
So the whole family is in towels? Why the hell? This is just crazy on so many levels.
60. When she said she wanted anything Frozen, she didn’t mean peas.
Any parent should know this. For God’s sake, she would’ve been happy with an Anna and Elsa notebook. She’s understandably pissed.
61. Make your season merry by dressing your family in candy cane pajamas.
Yes, they all come striped. But some are in green as well as red. Yes, this is ridiculous.
62. Unfortunately, Travis was acting up so he had to be restrained.
However, having him duct taped to a wall is kind of pushing it. Seriously, is that even necessary?
63. The family dog helped decorate the tree this year.
Okay, this is definitely photoshop. Because dogs can’t fly. But no one seems to care.
64. Merry Christmas from the stick figure kids.
I know they’re supposed to be cowboys riding horses. But this don’t look right.
65. As we all know, cauliflower faced Santa must be avoided at all times.
Yes, that’s a really sketchy Santa. I fear for the boy who’s on his lap.
66. There are some gifts for a significant other that are meant to be given in private.
This pair of candy cane boxes is among these. Yeah, I know what, “Lick Me” means.
67. That moment when the mall Santa can’t wait until his shift is up.
Yeah, he doesn’t seem to like his gig too much. Doesn’t seem to care for kids either.
68. Baby Ralphie really admires the leg lamp.
Wonder what the grandparents would think if they saw this Christmas card. This is a play off A Christmas Story.
69. Merry Christmas from the 21st century.
Yeah, it’s kind of like that. Everyone seems to be glued to their devices save the dad.
70. “How about we all try to catch the snowball?”
Well, not sure if they have a snowball’s chance in hell. But this is quite funny.