A key decoration you might see outside buildings during the spring and summer are wind chimes. These are are a type of percussion instrument constructed from suspended tubes, rods, bells or other objects often made of metal or wood. They tend to be suspended along with a weight which the tubes or rods can strike when they or another wind catching surface are blown by the natural air movement outside. And since Southwestern Pennsylvania has no shortage of wind on most days, wind chimes tend to be popular as garden and porch ornaments around these parts. My grandmother particularly likes them as I’ve seen when I go to my grandparents’ house. However, while hanging wind chimes in the west began with the Romans, they’ve also been associated with decorating in India, China, and Japan. As of today, I tend to see a lot of wind chimes on sale. Yet, many of these tend to have the conventional look. So this is where I turn to Pinterest which brings me to a whole world of more creative wind chimes that many people made themselves. And I share some of these with you today.
- There’s something fishy about this one.
Well, the chimes on here are made from a ceramic fish. Not sure if the pieces fit together. But it’s not bad.
2. Who knew you can make chimes from plastic bottles.
Sure they’re probably from a craft store of some type. But they sure look pretty.
3. A sun wind chime always has to have some bells.
Well, this one only has 3. I don’t think this one was handmade. But I like it so it goes on this post.
4. Some wind chimes have all jingles.
I bet this one makes a lot of noise when it’s really windy out. In my area, I’ve known quite a few.
5. Sometimes you have to top your wind chime with a mosaic flower.
I’m sure the chimes are attached at the flower. But the flower is so beautiful.
6. The chimes on this one can be quite colorful.
These are shaped like feathers. But they’re plastic because feathers don’t make much of a sound.
7. Gold chimes sit quite well with a wire butterfly.
You see a lot of spring motifs with wind chimes. This wire butterfly has marbles for the colors.
8. This owl has all the bells.
Bound to ring whenever the wind is blowing. Sure to be a hoot.
9. Sometimes chimes can take the shape of squared chains.
I’m sure this was made by someone with too much time on their hands. Not sure if I’d want to have this in a rainstorm. Probably not.
10. When it comes to chimes, you can’t go wrong with bottles.
Kind of resembles a flying saucers with large bottles attached in a bead mesh. But it’s a wind chime and a rather large one at that.
11. For more metal in wind chimes, you can always go with gears.
Not sure what the tubes are made out of. But the gears sure look nice in them. Great for any steampunk home.
12. Who knew that you could put some bright crystals on a wind chime?
I think these crystals are fake and were bought at some craft store. Still, like how they shine and how they go well with this chime so well.
13. Pink chimes are fine for a light breeze.
You see a lot of crystal wind chimes like these. Sure it’s beautiful. But it’s probably quite delicate, too.
14. When you can’t buy a wind chime, it helps to make one with beads.
This one apparently glimmers in the sunlight. Wonder how it would do in the rain. Only one way to find out.
15. A shell wind chime like this should always come with some bells and forks.
You tend to see a lot of cutlerly in wind chimes. Not sure if it enhances the aesthetic or brings out the sound.
16. A wind chime like this one is great for hosting a garden tea party.
This one is a wind chime of a teapot with tea cups. But the best part about this one is that it’s purple.
17. I suppose this is a wind chime for anyone in a potting mood.
Yes, this wind chime is made from flower pots. Guess these won’t be used for planting anymore.
18. Sometimes smaller heart wind chimes are better.
This one may seem quite delicate compared to the others. But at any rate, you have to love this one.
19. Beads and straw could always make a fine wind chime.
Well, this is different. Okay, that’s probably wicker, not straw. Or is wicker straw? I’m confused.
20. There’s no lovelier wind chime than one with beads strung to a bottle.
Not sure if this is a great view. But you have to admire the craftsmanship on this. This is especially if the bottle is glass.
21. All you need to make this wind chime are crystal beads and wire.
If it had a light in it, you’d almost think it was a lamp. However, it’s certainly not.
22. When it comes to wind chimes, sometimes the chimes below can have quite the color.
Sometimes the chimes might not always look great at the top. But you have to admire the beads and string on this.
23. When it comes to chime beads, it helps if you have a variety of colors.
Well, at least this one looks quite festive. Hate to see this one get tangled.
24. Sometimes it helps that everything matches.
This one is pink with flowers all over it. Sure it’s plastic but it’s pretty.
25. Who says you can’t put dragon flies on your chimes?
Dragonflies aren’t the kind I’d have in mind for wind chimes. But these look great on the squares. Lovely.
26. On a wind chime like this, your heart is in chains.
As you see, all the links are in the shape of a heart. Looks quite rusty though.
27. If you like boating, then this wind chime should go great with your sailing ship.
Not sure if I’d want this on a boat during a hurricane. But it certainly looks rather maritime.
28. Sometimes a chime can just be a bottomless bottle.
Well, this seems simple enough. Still, love the silver butterfly and the jingle.
29. As far as wind chimes good, you can’t go wrong with ceramic tiles.
You can even paint some of them before you glaze them. Not sure if I’d want to put this one outside since I don’t want to ruin it.
30. Now this is the kind of wind chime for those with a green thumb.
This one has beads coming out from a watering can. Not sure why the wire ends are there. Probably for decoration.
31. For a wind chime that looks so antique, blue roses should give it an additional touch.
I don’t think this is handmade. After all, the metal on this seems fairly manufactured. But I do think it’s very beautiful.
32. Sometimes all you need for a wind chime is a funnel cake pan and some necklace chains.
That has to be a large wind chime as far as I could see. Still you have to love the stuff they have for the chimes part.
33. For an easier wind chime, just string some bead strands on a wooden stick.
The beads on these strands seem to follow a pattern. And each have a blue rectangle at the end.
34. If you like wind chimes, perhaps hang this one outside your kitchen window.
This one consists of a rolling pin and utensil chains. A bit large for any window, don’t you think?
35. What strung from this stick gives the illusion of rain.
This looks very pretty. Seems like someone really worked hard on this. But this appears quite delicate.
36. This woman hung up her wind chime in a big way.
And I guess she did it with step ladder. Or crane. Definitely crane.
37. This wind chime holds the keys.
However, don’t bet that any of these will fit in the locks. Because they were probably bought at a craft store.
38. It’s said that clanging cutlery can bring music to your ears.
I guess this one is more for the kitchen inclined. However, I have a better use of cutlery than putting it on wind chimes. It’s called putting food in your mouth.
39. If you like dragonflies, this one should suit you.
Well, there’s a dragonfly on top and pieces at the chime parts. Quite beautiful though.
40. Well, this wind chime is quite festive.
Wow, this is so beautiful that I’d just want to keep it indoors 24/7. Because I don’t want to rain to ruin it. And in my neck of the woods, you get that a lot.
41. Sometimes a wind chime needs a little extra something.
Well, the ends of these are of some folding strainer from the kitchen. If that’s what they call it.
42. There’s something fishy about this wind chime.
Well, this one has a fish on top of all these chime pieces. And all in green and blue.
43. For a wind chime like this, you can decorate it in any number of ways.
This one also has vibrant colors. Not as bright or vivid as some of the others. But lovely enough for me not to leave this one outside.
44. Seems like some wind chimes have all the bells.
And it seems like this one has lots of tiny ones. Wonder how long it took to make this.
45. You never know how many large beads you can string up for a wind chime.
These beads seem to resemble stones. Wonder if this wind chime is meant to represent a waterfall.
46. I guess these rainbow pots aren’t for planting.
Yes, this is another flower pot wind chime. But this one has some bees and butterflies. So it’s different than the other one I showed you.
47. Don’t know what to do with the extra silver? Make a wind chime out of it.
Yes, I’m sure this may look quite amazing. But on Downton Abbey, seeing this would make Carson flip out in anger. After all, you don’t put a bullion spoon on a garden wind chime. At least on his watch.
48. Sometimes a wider wind chime makes all the difference.
Seems like this one was made from old jewels. Well, old costume jewels. So pretty.
49. For those who like nature, this wind chime will give you all the green you ask for.
Almost seems like a green moss fading into a white rock. Still, it’s quite pretty.
50. If you love purple flowers, you’d love this wind chime.
Not sure how it sounds when the wind blows. But this looks quite beautiful, especially since it’s purple.
51. For a colorful and flowery flair, you can’t go wrong with this wind chime.
Yes, I know it took a lot of time to make this. But I think this is better kept indoors since I wouldn’t want to ruin it.
52. Nothing makes better music in the wind than a wind chime of goblets.
Wow, this is sure stunning. Also another way to piss off Carson on Downton Abbey.
53. Sometimes what makes music in the wind has to glimmer in the sunlight.
Well, these look beautiful. Wonder if they’re made of glass. If so, I wouldn’t want to drop it.
54. When it comes to some wind chimes, it helps if the chime parts are part of the decoration.
These seem to be painted in flowers and they seem suspended on some kind of cage. Or that’s as far as I see.
55. Nothing makes a more elegant wind chime than anything attached to a golden heart.
Well, this is strung on chains, color stones, and bells. Nevertheless, this is lovely.
56. I’m sure your garden would look better with a wind chime of this colorful bird.
And yet, another wind chime I wouldn’t want to expose to the elements outside. Very beautiful if I do say so myself.
57. Sometimes an old door knob makes a great wind chime.
Well, this almost looks crystal clear that you barely notice it through the window. Still, you have to love it.
58. If you live near the seashore, you might like a wind chime of shells.
Well, I guess these shells can make some kind of music. Nevertheless, I think it’s quite creative.
59. Sometimes you could make a lovely wind chime on vinyl.
However, before you use a vinyl record in a craft project, make sure it’s one with horrible music on it that won’t be missed. Let’s just say there’s a lot of bad records out there.
60. Whoever thought you could make a wind chime from a silver dish?
And yet, another way to get Carson pissed off at you at Downton Abbey. To him, you don’t use silver to make these fangled things.
61. Got an old vase you don’t know what to do with? Make a wind chime out of it.
Well, this one is an upside down vase with a weight in it. Still, love the blue color.
62. This wind chime is meant to bring out the colors of the rainbow.
This one has pieces that are linked for wind chime. And yes, it certainly looks pretty while gleaming in the sunlight.
63. You never know what you can make with a basket.
Apparently, you can make a rather cool wind chime with a basket. Simply breathtakingly lovely.
64. You never know what’s coming out of this pitcher.
Now this looks quite whimsical. Love how this one pours the flower out. Love the design on the pitcher, too.
65. This wind chime has a sailboat on the waves.
Well, this one has blue beads for water and fish to go with it. And it’s topped with a glass sailboat, too.
66. This wind chime has to be as pretty as a peacock.
Because it’s a peacock wind chime. And as we see, sound comes when the wind blows through the feathers.
67. I’m sure you’d want this wind chime on a bright, sunny day.
Because this one is of the sun and the chimes below are the rays. And yes, it sure looks bright.
68. Such wind chimes like this are said to be as cute as a button.
This one consists of chimes that have buttons strung on them. And yes, this is pretty cool if you ask me.
69. Guess this one is serving tea for a few.
This wind chime uses cups, saucers, and spoons as bells. And yes, it’s one you might see in a Wes Anderson movie.
70. As a wind chime, there’s nothing more radiant than a purple sunflower.
And radiant it is, indeed. This one is simply stunning, especially since it’s mostly in purple.
71. Guess this wind chime brings so many fish in the sea.
Well, this looks quite interesting. Not sure if the top part is a jellyfish. Quite cool.
72. While many wind chimes have celestial themes, you haven’t seen one like this.
Then again, you’ve probably seen one like this at every garden store. Still, you have to like this.
73. This is the kind of wind chime for the patriotic at heart.
Well, if you’re American, anyway. Then again, most of my views come from the States.
74. Anyone who’s an artist at heart will enjoy a wind chime like this.
This is made up of so many shapes and colors. Nevertheless, this is so lovely.
75. On top of a wind chime like this, you see a flower.
This one has the colors of the rainbow at the chimes. Like the flower design, too.
76. Sometimes it all starts with a stunning design.
This one has rainbow beads and a lovely design. Wonder how long it took to make this.
77. If you love wind chimes, this painted butterfly one will delight your home.
This one is so intricately done. However, it’s probably made of glass. Wouldn’t want this one outside.
78. If you love bells, this wind chime is for you.
This one also has a deer on top. And I’m sure you’d enjoy it.
79. On top of this is a colorful spiral.
Seems like whoever made this spent a lot of time painting the designs. Nevertheless, this is so radiant and stunning.
80. This angelic wind chime is lined with beads of pink roses.
Sure this one probably wasn’t hand made. But it’s sure beautiful. Besides, who wouldn’t want this.
I absolutely love wind chimes 🌾
Very cool wind chimes! Beautiful!