Here am I standing with me and my parents and sister Molly at my graduation from Yough High School in June 2008. I was thinking about putting my sister’s picture. But I decided against it because I already put her high school graduation picture in my Father’s Day post.
As the school year winds down to a close, so comes graduation season where all seniors prepare to say goodbye and face the world years of education prepared them for. Since I’m a 2008 graduate of Yough High School as well as a 2012 graduate of Saint Vincent College, I can say I’ve been down the commencement cap and gown road twice in my life. Such experience is bittersweet for me since while I have gotten a sense of accomplishment that years of committing to my education have paid off, I also feel a bit sad that I miss the place and the people. But perhaps there’s always a trade off. After all, receiving your college degree is a proud moment even though it means you’ll have years of struggle to pay for your student loans. Nevertheless, graduations usually consists of students entering in procession dressed in their caps and gowns as each one is called to receive their degree. There’s usually a commencement speaker giving a few remarks for the graduates as well as other performances. It’s quite an elaborate ceremony. It’s kind of funny at my high school graduation, we had our state senator at the time Bob Regola who kind of got in trouble for perjury after his kid and a neighbor were involved in some firearms mishap that killed the latter. The guy was later forced to resign. Yet, while there are many graduations that consist of wonderful ceremonies, some don’t always go as well as planned. And for your pleasure, I show a treasure trove of photos pertaining to the not so savory sentiments of graduation.
- Guess someone is questioning their degree’s worth already.
As you’ll see, some grads decorate their caps in unique ways. I suppose “B.S.” either stands for bullshit or Bachelor in Science.
2. At graduation, you never know what people are wearing under their gowns.
I guess these women are from some state like California or Hawaii. Because I don’t think I could wear a swimsuit under my cap and gown.
3. Seems like some people are excited that they’ve graduated.
I think these guys are from China. Still, all seem to have their gown blowing with one jumping into the air.
4. Seems like someone is happy with their advanced degree.
I think this might be someone’s dad in his kid’s cap and gown. And it’s probably done as a joke. Pretty funny.
5. Apparently, not everyone is basking in the glories of their graduation.
Either that, or the girl doesn’t like having her picture taken. That, or she was doing a photo bomb.
6. This guy made it and has the diploma and picture to show for it.
However, you have to wonder about his school’s colors. Maroon? Please. Still, love his goofy grin.
7. Now I can fully understand why this person went to college.
Also, Hogwarts is a school for wizarding youth ages 11-18. Perhaps being a Muggle at 18 was a factor as well.
8. Dobby has graduated. Dobby is freed.
Yes, these caps are very creative. Who knew that Dobby needed a diploma to be freed from the Malfoys? Oh, wait he needed a sock.
9. Those who graduate are more likely to have their life on the right track.
However, this girl isn’t one of them because she’s standing in the middle of the railroad tracks. Seriously, she’s putting herself at a very dangerous risk of being mangled and run over.
10. Being photographed with your parents in your cap and gown is always a proud moment.
At least for this dad who just can’t resist embarrassing his son one last time. Yes, that will do it.
11. Sure you nearly flunked but at least you made it.
I don’t know about you. But I’m sure this guy isn’t going to be college material for receiving a 1.9. But at least he didn’t flunk.
12. Remember, graduates, processions always take one step at a time.
And it seems this girl tripped during “Pomp and Circumstance.” Still, this place kind of reminds me of my high school stadium, except the stands are significantly lower.
13. Posing with your family at graduation is always a highlight.
And it seems that this young woman has an interesting family worthy of a sitcom. You have to wonder what her life is like at home.
14. Of course, if it’s your sibling’s graduation, you might hate them for getting all the attention.
Can’t this boy at least try to be happy for his sister? Yes, it’s her day. But he’ll get his time in a few years. Trust me.
15. Some graduates make better entrances than others.
And it seems like this girl embarrassed herself by falling flat on her face to receive her diploma. I’m sure she’s going to be well remembered for years.
16. I guess this person managed to graduate by a nose.
Wonder whether this grad plans to major in. Dressage, steeplechase, polo, equestrian, racing, or carriage rides?
17. Oh, great, some major dick has to screw it up for everyone and get all the attention.
I’m sure the parents with small children had a very tough time explaining this moment. Seriously, who the hell crashes a graduation in a dick costume? Then again, there’s that one college in Rhode Island that has a mascot named Scrotie.
18. Remember, after receiving your diploma, watch yourself on your way out.
And it seems like someone tripped and fell as they were leaving the stage. Of course, this is the third trip picture I posted already.
19. I guess these two guys were known to be quite the party animals.
Because how else could they have beer pongs on their caps? Wonder what their parents are thinking.
20. At high schools, it’s always a custom for the valedictorian and the salutatorian to give a speech during the ceremony.
However, we’re not sure if cue cards are used or not. Then again, someone was probably playing a prank.
21. You can guess what this person is doing after graduation.
And yes, I feel for that person. Mostly because I haven’t been able to get a steady income that could pay for mine.
22. While black men have it better as graduates, this doesn’t always curb their incarceration rates.
Introduce young black boys to Hamilton and they’re off getting arrested for spontaneously bursting into song and dance routines on the streets. Yes, musical theater is a real menace in the African American community these days.
23. Yes, tell them what it really cost you.
Man, $200,000 for a college education. I took out less than that on student loans and I’m still struggling to pay them.
24. Now they received an education, they couldn’t care less about their school these days.
Yes, throw your caps as your school that provided your education smolders behind you. You bastards.
25. Sometimes cap designs can get quite elaborate.
This woman has a computer box and a piggy bank on hers. How she keeps her head up, I have no idea.
26. That’s an interesting graduation cap there.
Wonder why this girl opted for a Nike swoosh instead of a conventional graduation cap square. Maybe she just wanted to be noticed more.
27. Guess someone plans to watch something scary after the commencement ceremony.
Yes, I could say American Horror Story Student Loans is a very scary series. This is especially when you have bad social skills and have to do job interviews.
28. After commencement, it helps for some to take a rest.
And it seems these people prefer to take a nap on a tree. Let’s not disturb them.
29. So I guess some colleges do have mixed martial arts majors.
This is from China and is probably photoshopped. Nevertheless, I’m sure some grads dreamed of pulling this one off.
30. At some commencements, there’s always someone who needs a little extra to get by.
Let’s hope this is a college graduation. Still, I think this guy with the bottle might have a problem.
31. This girl always wondered why no one saw her haircut.
Maybe because she wore a headscarf all the time as a practicing Muslim. That could explain a lot.
32. That moment when you realize when you need to pay those loans for obedience school.
Okay, I don’t think it’s the dog’s graduation. But that look in the cap and gown is so priceless.
33. While most grads are covered in their caps and gowns, some show up in their birthday suit.
So I guess wacky graduation hijinks are nothing new. Wonder what this guy’s parents thought about his stunt when he received his diploma.
34. Guess this guy is now graduated from college.
However, you’d think a graduate from NC State would know how to use proper grammar. It’s “I am” not “I is.”
35. Congratulations on your graduation and here is your AK-47.
I’m thinking this is in Africa, but I don’t want to be stereotypical. Oh wait, I just was. Still, the AK-47s don’t give me hope here.
36. Some grads wished to build a little world in one little place.
This one seems to have a little house built on his cap. Guess he couldn’t resist his creative impulses.
37. Congratulations, graduate, and may the Force be with you.
I’m sure these grads will treasure this moment forever. Guess there was a Star Wars convention in their town at the time.
38. I’m sure the grads aren’t looking forward to their graduation surprise.
I don’t think I’d want to have water dumped on me at my graduation. Then again, this is probably from a different country.
39. This is a big day for this Imperial Stormtrooper.
Sure he’s a terrible shot. But at least he managed to get an education so he could contribute to society in a different way.
40. Not sure if I’d want to know what’s under his gown.
I guess these girls were in for a disturbing surprise. Then again, it’s probably staged as a joke.
41. Sometimes it all takes one guy in the background can ruin your Kodak moment.
You have to wonder whether this picture was taken on a digital camera. Because I don’t think whoever took this picture noticed the guy mooning behind this girl.
42. Well, I guess this guy’s future is ruined.
But at least the cops were nice enough to wait and let him graduate before taking him. You have to respect that at least.
43. I think that this girl isn’t from the most happy families.
Then again, perhaps the people behind these two were in an argument. You know how stuff like this goes.
44. This car has a graduate on bored.
Maybe a bored graduate. However, it should be “graduate on board.” Ever heard of homonyms?
45. During boring commencement speeches, it helps if you have something to bide the time.
I guess this was taken in the 1980s or 1990s. However, the straw hat is for cover.
46. Okay, what’s that sticking out of that guy’s cap?
I think it’s a diorama of some sort. But it sure sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
47. I’m guessing this person is anxious about employment prospects.
Sure I feel for this person since I’ve struggled to get a job for a long time. And it doesn’t seem to end.
48. For graduates, group photos are always a custom.
Of course, don’t mind the guy behind you. And yes, that face is quite strange and a bit creepy.
49. Families are always there to celebrate our precious moments whether we want them to or not.
Yeah, I think this girl just captured what a lot of us think about our families sometimes. Because they usually are the people in our lives we can’t avoid.
50. Seems like the cows have gone to pasture on her cap.
So she made her graduation cap into a pasture diorama. Interesting.
51. “But I don’t want to go into the real world, it’s scary out there.”
Then again, he might either be scared or just wants to sneeze. Not sure which.
52. Congratulations on your graduation, lady terrorists?
Sorry to offend anyone here but it’s not what you’d think it is. It’s actually a graduation ceremony of women in the Iranian police force. However, as an American, I tend to be accustomed to the idea that assault weapons and hijabs don’t mix.
53. I’m sure this guy will be ready when he has to take his cap off.
Then again, I’m sure he’s using his remote control to light up the cap. And he probably has no intention taking it off.
54. For her graduation photo, nothing could do better than the Bard.
Sure she might like Shakespeare. But she might just be sucking up to her drama teacher. Not sure which.
55. After commencement it helps to get out of your gowns to relax.
And it seems that this women didn’t have a lot on them when they received their diplomas. Still, at least their underwear matches.
56. He just had to have a cap in his likeness.
Not sure what to think about this. Seems like his picture has him spurting blue stuff down his nose. But at least they’ll know it’s his when he throws it up.
57. Congratulations, it’s a graduate!
What the fuck got these guy to do something like this? This is just incredibly crazy if you ask me.
58. I give this graduation 2 thumbs up.
Seems like he’s trying to be enthusiastic. But he doesn’t seem that way. At least as I can tell.
59. Yes, graduation is a highly emotional time.
This is especially if you’re Carrot Top receiving his diploma from an orange face man. Yes, it’s quite a time.
60. I think this cap explains a lot about recent grads.
Well, I didn’t have any idea of what I was doing either. Sometimes I still don’t.
61. Wonder what this valedictorian has to say in his speech.
Hey, that’s Weird Al Yankovic giving his valedictorian speech. And yes, he’s as weird now as he was then. But he’s one of the most successful musical comedy artists of all time.
62. I guess this girl expects to be seated with dumbasses.
How else could I have guessed? Guess “I’m with Stupid” is a dead giveaway.
63. Each school tends to have their own traditions.
And apparently, this guy’s school tends to photograph their graduates with a lei of pot. Or so it looks like it.
64. When it comes to graduation, these soldiers are always alert.
Apparently, not. Yes, these are of the military who are trained to combat enemy fire. But they can’t seem to keep themselves awake during a commencement speech.
65. Sometimes the cap doesn’t always fit in with the hairstyle.
I hope this kid either gets a job at some punk rock locale, design studio, or tattoo parlor. Because I don’t think a regular office would hire him.
66. At some graduations, the weather gets more attention if it takes place outdoors.
Well, seems like there could be a tornado in their midst. Apparently, the strange thing about this is that it’s in New Jersey.
67. As far as caps are concerned, sometimes it’s hard to fit your hair in it.
Yes, 1980s hair and a square cap don’t go well together. And yes, this looks pretty awkward indeed.
68. When it comes to graduation parties, some people tend to multi-task.
Well, at least Cortney got her education out of the way. Because she’s gonna need it where she’s going.
69. In Russia, some grads are transported through a shopping cart.
Well, as far as Russians are concerned, this isn’t that crazy. Still pretty funny.
70. Sometimes there are those who can’t stay awake during a boring speech.
Whether he’d be up when they call his name is the question. Hope he is so he could make his parents proud.