Ever since humans learned to make something to carry their consumable liquid and put their food on, it wasn’t long until they started wanting to have their personal drinking vessels to carry some personal touch. Thus, ceramics have become an art form as well as a practical house ware ever since. In fact, every civilization on earth basically has their own set of decorated ceramics and there are many archaeologists who can tell you where certain ceramics are from and what they were used for based on decoration alone. Of course, mugs are such a common feature in daily life that you can buy one from basically anywhere but the grocery store. Seriously, you can buy one as a souvenir if you go on vacation or if you want to buy someone a present. Nevertheless, in our 21st century, most people use mugs for their drinks as well as have them customized to their own designs. Some have pictures, some have words, and some don’t have anything at all. People have even made their own mugs in pottery classes. Now I can go on and on about all the great mugs out there, but you’d think it would be boring. So instead, I’ll show some of the tackiest mugs out there you wouldn’t want to miss. So for your reading pleasure, here are some specimens from the strange world of ceramic mugs. By the way, some of these might not be safe for work. Don’t ask. Oh, and not all will actually be made from ceramic by the way, it’s just the default material.
1. If you love peacocks, then this set of mugs would be simply to die for.
Now if I saw these at a person’s house, then I’d question their taste in interior housewares. Seriously, I expect these to be found at a house with at least one pink flamingo on their lawn minimum.
2. Now this mug tells you exactly what it’s for.
Now if there’s a chemist or chemistry major in your life, this would be the perfect gift for them. And yes, that molecule is caffeine, the pick me up for the masses.
3. Now I’m udderly confused? Is this used for milk or tea?
Now this is a Cow Breast Shaped Milk Glass Mug. You heard me. I’m sure no milk is coming from those udders or in them. Perfect for the dairy farmer’s morning coffee.
4. If you’re looking for something to give a person who loves the 1980s and videogames, this is the perfect mug for them.
I’m sure this Atari game mug will bring anyone into feeling 1980s nostalgia. That, or help someone stay awake long enough to play videogames.
5. For the golfer in your life, this one will help them improve their game before venturing to the country club.
Of course, I wonder if it’s more suited for those who play miniature golf. Just a hunch. I mean the golf club and ball are really, really tiny.
6. “All right, stop right there, give me your coffee or your life.”
Now this is the gun every gangster reaches for first thing in the morning, every morning. Tony Soprano must have one of these or I’ll be damned. Seriously, it’s a perfect coffee mug for him.
7. Once you’re done your coffee, you can use this mug to recycle it and protect the planet.
Yes, this may appear eco-friendly. But I wonder if it goes with similar mugs that resemble a garbage and biohazard bins respectively. Also, is this one for paper or plastic?
8. With this Black Knight mug, if anyone but you shall drink from it, then they shall die.
Of course, unlike the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, this one doesn’t come with limbs to hack off. Which kind of takes all the fun out of it.
9. For the chemist or anyone majoring in chemistry, this mug is great whether in the home or in the lab.
Of course, if you want to use it for both lab and home, make sure you wash and dry it before either use. You don’t want anything unfortunate happen like an accident.
10. Practice your basketball skills with this mug of a ball and court.
Of course, it’s best for hot chocolate so you can put the mini marshmallows through the basket. Also great to drink from during March Madness.
11. This mug seems to stand on its own two feet.
Of course, I don’t know what to think about the human feet though. Seems kind of creepy in a way. Like something from a creepy surrealist film.
12. A guy always needs a cup of joe before he goes behind a bulldozer.
Now I’m sure this kind would make any male construction worker a laughingstock at work. Then again, maybe not. Still, pretty clever.
13. I’m sure the dial tells how hot your coffee is inside.
Then again, it might be for show. Still, it’s said to be a hotrod type coffee mug. But it looks Steampunk to me for some reason. Even in bright red.
14. With a mug like this, those knuckles will come in handy while you’re in a dark alley and know how to use them.
Of course, getting in a fight with this mug might ruin its use as a drinking vessel. Still, not sure how these would fare in hand to hand combat. Banned in Canada.
15. Get up in the morning with a cup from R2 D2.
R2 D2: most likely the most underrated character in the whole Star Wars franchise. Seriously, if it weren’t for this ornery and courageous little droid, the good guys would be sunk. Yeah, basically saves everyone’s ass.
16. Though coffee is seen as a morning beverage, ninjas tend to drink it under cover of darkness.
Of course, this ninja is cute. But still, real Japanese ninjas didn’t dress in black. Their penchant for invisibility was psychological. Rather they typically dressed like peasants who no high ranking Japanese samurai would suspect. Oh, and most ninjas were samurai in Japan.
17. For couples, you always want a distinctive mug to distinguish from your significant other.
I try to keep any images of private parts to a minimum. But since these mugs are among the worst things to give any couple, I had to make special mention. Seriously, I’m not sure if anyone would want to be seen at home with these, let alone in public.
18. This battle designed mug was made to handle anything.
Now how is in the hell is this a battle designed mug? It looks like it was made from plastic, which isn’t the strongest material. Oh, you can put your guns on it. Seriously, why does this even exist?
19. When on an assignment, photographers love to get some zoom in action from their morning brew.
Let’s hope a real photographer doesn’t get this camera lens mug mixed up with a real camera lens. It can get awkward.
20. I’m sure when you see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, you should know not to mess with the contents.
Unfortunately, someone didn’t listen and pulled the plug. Resulted in a massive spill of hot coffee all over. Luckily no furniture was damaged.
21. For the more modern artistic type, this is one of the sleekest mugs money can buy.
Hmmm….not sure if it’s practical as a drinking vessel. Also, seems a bit too artsy for my taste. I think a conventional mug is perfectly reasonable.
22. If you like to drink your coffee the way you sample soup, this slurp mug is for you.
Know what this can also be used for? Soup, no less. Also, you can even hang it on a hook if you want. Man, I wonder what they cost on Amazon.
23. Of course, some people tend to lose it when they get angry and need caffeine.
Remind me to stay away from the guy who owns this mug. Seriously, flunking anger management really doesn’t say much good about you, especially if your name is Bruce Banner.
24. This mug makes you drink your coffee as if it’s from a porcelain pop can.
Man, I wonder if the ancient Chinese drank from porcelain pop cans. Probably not. Still, doesn’t give off the aluminum after taste doesn’t it.
25. Hmmm….I wonder if that person’s drinking from a turd or is it just me?
Love the slogan on this: “Is it just me or is everything crap?” Well, I think it’s just then. But on the hand, many of the farmers in my neighborhood use cow shit as fertilizer.
26. Now this mug doubles as a boombox if you turn it on the side.
Now this doesn’t actually play music since it’s painted on. But you get the idea. Okay, c’mon, use your imagination.
27. Ever wish you guys can drink beer from your cowboy boot? Well, now you can.
Well, if you’re Cinderella of the Wild West, that is. Then again, she seems to leave one of these when she had to leave the hoe-down. Not sure if Sheriff Charming will follow her home.
28. Alas, Poor Yorick for Hamlet hath fashioned you into a drinking vessel for his morning joe.
Now I’m sure people will freak out if you drink something from this one like red wine. Even if it is made from porcelain.
29. I’m sure this mug will store your milk and your cookies in the same place.
Kind of strange that the mug has a human face with a big mouth. But at least it doesn’t devour them. Still, quite a nifty device if I do say so myself.
30. When it comes to drinking decaf, some people can be so judgmental and it shows.
Well, sure decaf is for wimps but it’s like drinking coffee for the taste and not for the reason why most people drink coffee. Kind of defeats the whole purpose.
31. You’ve heard about coffee with donuts. So how about some coffee in your donut?
Now this would be a great mug to give that neighborhood police officer. Then again, he’d probably appreciate an actual donut much more.
32. Now this is the kind of mug you’d want to give to somebody who loves the smell of napalm in the morning.
Okay, napalm may not be radioactive but I’m sure it’s quite explosive and you wouldn’t want to be anywhere near it. Still, this grenade one is pretty crazy. At least it doesn’t blow up when you pull the pin.
33. For Sesame Street fans, this Cookie Monster mug will store your cookies and your coffee. And I’m sure your kids will love it.
As tacky as it seems, you can’t hate this mug for God’s sake. Seriously, everyone loves Cookie Monster even though he’s not the best role model on Sesame Street since his dietary choices aren’t the greatest. But we love him anyway.
34. Now this mug is able to indicate to your company whether to talk to you or not.
When it’s full, it means they can’t communicate in complete sentences. When it’s half, it means they can’t carry on a conversation. Only when it’s nearly empty, you may talk.
35. Seems like someone prefers their coffee on the Dark Side.
And I’m sure if he doesn’t like it, he’ll probably force choke you until you suffocate to death. Must be a complete hell working for a guy like that. Cue “Imperial March.”
36. Now this is a coffee mug that seems like 65 million years in the making or hanging around in the Jurassic Park souvenir shop.
However, I’m not sure why anyone would want to go to Jurassic Park. Seems like going to the park is an absolute death wish.
37. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the boob mug.
Now this would be a great souvenir mug for some strip club or sex shop. Very bad commemorative gift to buy for anybody.
38. Now this cow mug tends to stand on its udders.
I’m sure there’s no milk in these udders but I’m sure it’s tacky enough to go with those peacock mugs. Then again, it might be even in more poor taste.
39. Now this coffee mug appears to come from out of this world and land in some undisclosed location.
I wonder if they sell these on Roswell. Probably do. Seems like those crazy UFO seekers will go anywhere to see a flying saucer land, especially at a location of a recent UFO sighting. Hate to know what the aliens put in their coffee, if they drink it at all.
40. Since there’s an obsession with women’s butts, I thought this would be an appropriate mug for our times.
Of course, this would be a great coffee mug for Kim Kardashian. Then again, I’m not sure if giving it to anyone else would be a compliment or an insult.
41. Of course, in Louisiana, some coffee mugs have pelican bills.
Of course, you can hold liquids in its bill. Not sure how much. Hope none of it contains oil, after what happened with Deepwater Horizion in the Gulf of Mexico.
42. Now this metal beer mug would make a fine addition to any man cave, and only in a man cave.
Now this is probably a perfect gift for a guy’s pervy friend whose truck has the mudflaps with the naked ladies and a stash of porn. Then again, I’m not sure who’d really think getting a mug like this is a good idea.
43. Like your behind, your mug should also be covered in denim.
Think of it as a souvenir from the Levi’s factory. Not sure whether they are 501s, 527s, 512, or 529s. Yeah, you learn how to identify the types of jeans while working in the men’s department at Macy’s over the holidays.
44. In Scotland, even the mugs are wearing kilts down there.
Now this ceramic red kilt mug also has legs to go along with it. Nevertheless, I can’t help whether they wear anything under there. Then again, I must’ve gotten me mind in the gutter.
45. “That’s one small step for a mug, one giant leap for mug kind.”
Now this is a mug of the lunar module. But to me, it seems to resemble an alien spacecraft more or less. Guess the lunar module doesn’t translate well in mug form.
46. I don’t know about you, but I sure wouldn’t want to drink whatever’s in that mug.
Of course, this radioactive mug contains some of the best coffee grown fresh from the coffee plantations of Three Mile Island. Okay, I know Three Mile Island is in Pennsylvania and doesn’t grow coffee, but it’s not like I know any exotic coffee growing place that’s famous for a nuclear meltdown.
47. Of course, any Star Wars fan couldn’t do without a mug of an Imperial Stormtrooper.
Still, I’m not sure if I’d want to have an Imperial Stormtrooper coffee pot. Sure it will pour but it will always miss. Yeah, Imperial Stormtroopers never really seem to hit their targets for some reason.
48. Now this mug set seems to either be of Adam and Eve or from a nudist colony.
Either way, I wouldn’t want to be caught dead drinking from either in front of kids or in public. Seriously, why do these even exist is beyond me. Do not buy.
49. Seems like this mummy got up on the wrong side of the sarcophagus this morning.
Yeah, you really don’t want to anger a mummy in the morning. Best give them a cup of coffee to keep them under wraps so to speak.
50. Only in Myrtle Beach can you get a souvenir mug of a sunbathing man with one leg.
I’m sure this has to do with a design flaw of some type or anything in the artistic depiction. Still, it’s quite weird even if you don’t have anything against amputee sunbathers.
51. “All right, take two cups of espresso and call me in the morning.”
Seems that this person better check the dosage or else he or she might develop an addiction to medicinal coffee addiction. Yes, that bean is quite powerful stuff.
52. “Hello, I am Coffee bot and I am here to serve you.”
Okay, maybe it’s not a real robot which actually works. Still, you’d want to pour coffee into him would you? Kind of disappointing he doesn’t work though.
53. Lift off this morning with this one of a kind coffee mug.
Of course, when it it spills it’s basically, “Houston, we have a problem.” Still, kind of wish it came with a lid because it seems more like half a rocket to me.
54. Sometimes people like to stack their mugs together, especially if they have their own boxes.
Seems like having a bunch of stackable brick mugs might be quite convenient to have. Then again, people might wonder why you’re drinking from a square mug.
55. Finally, now this is the kind of mug which can help you tell your boss what you really feel about him.
Okay, now as much as I think it’s amusing, I’m not sure if you want to show your boss that mug. I mean fewer of us aren’t working in unionized workplace. So George Jetson job security is very common, especially to low wage workers.
56. Of course, for those going to Hawaii this summer, I’m sure you’d want a tiki mug as as souvenir.
Man, tacky tiki stuff never gets old, doesn’t it? I don’t know about you but culture biases aside, tiki sometimes can range from cool to poor taste depending on the setting.
57. Why should you have to guess your coffee’s temperature when your mug can do it instead?
Now with this mug, I’m sure heating up your coffee will be much easier. Of course, you can also use something called, “the hands.”
58. For the genius in your life, a Rubix Cube mug will help them solve their problems.
Of course, in order for the Rubix Cube to be a workable mug, it has to be solved first. Still, not sure if it takes the fun or frustration out of it.
59. Of course, just because you shouldn’t have a dirty mouth, does not mean your mug shouldn’t either.
Okay, now these seem like they’re straight out from Nasty Teeth.com. Unless the other person is in on the joke, these don’t make very good gifts.
60. Now if a guy has a mug like this, you don’t want to see him when he’s angry.
This is especially the case when the person in question is none other than Dr. Bruce Banner. So yeah, you might want to get Dr. Banner his coffee before he, you know.
61. Of course, when it comes to modern mug design, you should go with vibrant colors.
Now I like these. But I’m sure anyone who drinks from these is a hipster. But what the hell? Seems like a rather futuristic design if you get my drift.
62. Some people tend to wake up feeling like a horse’s ass.
Now I’m not sure what to make of this. I guess this is more of a gag gift for some people. Is there a head on the other side?
63. For your under the sea mug collection, this pink octopus mug will do nicely.
Now I’m sure any maritime fan would want this in their collection. Wonder if it will freak out anyone or stand out like a sore thumb among some of the better looking maritime mugs. Kind of like the pink flamingo of maritime mugs.
64. Of course, it’s some companies’ custom to sell mugs with their logo on them this is from a power company.
I’m sure British Petroleum’s company mug not only looks like an oil drum, but it also contains some salty black liquid inside of it. And I’m sure it’s not coffee.
65. Some people sleep till noon while others are found wide awake at the crack of dawn.
Okay, now this was probably made from some frat boy in pottery class. Still, I’m sure this is certainly not on the dark side of the moon.
66. Of course, morning is the time of day when you can check your e-mail.
So I guess this is expensive as hell or doesn’t really work. Talk about going online while you drink your coffee in the morning. Seems kind of ridiculous to me.
67. In some pottery classes, there’s a fine line between what’s acceptable and what’s not. Still, these are downright sleazy.
I’m sure these would make perfect gifts for any sleazy guy with a penchant for pottery. Still, I think nudity shouldn’t be in ceramics for obvious reasons. Seriously, you want to have mugs with content that’s at least PG-13.
68. When it comes to creating mugs, you can pretty much make one from just about everything.
This seems like it was made of an aluminum can and some wooden handle. Looks like something a hobo might use. Then again, it appears too shiny for some reason.
69. When it comes to morning routine, it’s said that coffee is known to get people wired up for the day.
Of course, I’m sure the wire is fake but it seems to make a great handle. Still, I think this is a pretty inventive mug if you think about it.
70. Of course, when it comes to mugs, a real maritime fan has to have one of a fish in the darkest depths of the ocean.
On second thought, this deep sea fish is one of the ugliest sea creatures ever. I mean it’s almost the stuff of nightmares. Why anyone would want to have mug like this is anyone’s guess.
71. “All right, men, let’s set our phasers to decaf just to be safe.”
Of course, all Starfleet officers must have their coffee, too. But I’m sure anyone wearing a red shirt will be more susceptible for spill burns. Because redshirts tend to be expendable human cannon fodder.
72. This mug seems to blur the lines between the notion of coffee mug and coffee machine.
Of course, if you use it as a coffee machine, what do we use under it? I think that’s a viable question. Then again, maybe the machinery look is more for decoration.
73. A fashionable lady always needs to drink her morning joe in style.
I’m not sure if a stiletto heel mug is very practical as a drinking vessel. Nevertheless, sort of give a whole new meaning to the word, “hip flask.”
74. With this rattler mug, nobody will ever dare drink your coffee ever again.
Now this is perhaps one of the most intimidating mugs I’ve ever seen. Seems like this rattlesnake really isn’t too happy and guards his morning joe with a vigilance.
75. Be at the height of fashion with this trendy zebra print handbag mug.
Of course, while some may think this fancy mug is the most fashionable thing you’d see in the Prada break room, I think it’s as tacky as any overpriced handbag they sell on Saks Fifth Avenue. Sorry, but I’m no fan of the high fashion industry or the concept of wearing expensive name brand clothes made from the hands of children in some Third World country.
76. Sometimes a handy coffee mug can also make a useful paperweight.
Now I’m sure this would definitely appear in the Jurassic Park gift shop. Then again, I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be a dinosaur’s foot anyway. Could come from any reptile as I see it.
77. Want to know where a driver’s coffee goes? Perhaps this mug will tell you.
Now according to this, very little of the coffee in the mug actually gets sipped. However most of it is either thrown out in the parking lot or spilled over on someone’s brand new jacket.
78. Of course, a coffee mug from the Hundred Acre Wood can be quite deceptive in its use.
I’m sure Winnie the Pooh has fans of all ages from kids to adults. But having a coffee mug as a one of Pooh’s honey pots, well, I’m not so sure.
79. Is this an upside down mug right side up or just a regular mug upside down?
The glaze tells me that it might be a mug that’s supposed to look upside down. But I’m not sure if it goes too deep. Yet, I’m sure this might cause some confusion.
80. Of course, have your coffee in a mug that’s designed like a water cooler at some high school or college football game.
Of course, it’s well known what’s in this mug so you don’t have to pour it out on someone after a team victory. Then again, I have no idea why football players dump these things on themselves after a game. Must be tradition. Still, I think the design is quite clever for some reason.