Sure it may only be March, but spring will soon be around the corner. And before you know it, the summer blockbuster season will be upon us which spans from May to September. This year, three major franchises will soon have a new release for the box office. Two are comic book superhero movies while the other is a Harry Potter spin-off. Nevertheless, despite what the critics might say, each one is bound to do well at the box office as well as make a pretty profit for Warner Brothers and Disney. Because these are franchises that people grew up with.
What began as a 7 part book series released from the late 90s to the late 2000s, this J. K. Rowling coming of age story about an orphaned boy wizard who gets caught up in extraordinary circumstances has taken the world by storm. Growing up, I remember how each Harry Potter book or movie release was a big freaking deal. I mean people would dress up and line up for such events as well as speculate which major character was going to die in the later books. Nevertheless, as we all know, Harry Potter is an orphan boy wizard who attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. However, he’s also a major name in the wizarding world as “the Boy Who Lived” after surviving an attempt on his life by Lord Voldemort when he was a baby. Of course, he didn’t know any of this until he was 11 years old since he spent the early part of his childhood living with his mom’s Muggle sister and her family known as the Dursleys who treated him like shit and made him sleep in a cupboard under the stairs. However, while Harry’s situation improves drastically when he goes to Hogwarts, he gets embroiled in wizarding intrigues either by choice or factors beyond his control.
As you’ve seen in the movies, the wizarding world of Harry Potter has an assortment of colorful characters as well as costumes. And I know that the ones I’ve shown above don’t do the series justice. You might see some characters wearing the same outfits all the time like Snape and McGonagall. Or in the same style like Albus Dumbledore. Some are known to dress rather well like Gilderoy Lockhart and Lucius Malfoy. While some end up having to make due with clothes that have them fall prey to embarrassment like Ron Weasley at the Yule Ball. And since the Harry Potter series has plenty of characters, you might see plenty of fans dressed in a variety of costumes whether it be at a geek convention or on Halloween. So for your magical reading pleasure, I give you a treasure trove of fans dressed in their Harry Potter costumes.
- Guess Azkaban isn’t as escape proof as it’s cracked up to be.
Apparently, Sirius Black just managed to break out of Azkaban. However, he doesn’t have time to bathe since he has a rat to deal with at Hogwarts.
2. Looks like Harry is enjoying some quality time with Hedwig on the street.
You’d have to be mad to tell me that this isn’t adorable. Seriously, I bet any Harry Potter fan would love to dress their baby as Hedwig if they could.
3. Okay, now I see why Professor Quirrell wears a turban.
Because he has Voldemort in the back of his head. Yet, he’s not quite living and not quite dead.
4. Gilderoy Lockhart think he’s just his marvelous magical self.
However, when it comes to handing dangerous situations, he’s pretty much a coward and a phony. I mean the guy can’t protect his class against haywire Cornish pixies.
5. Guess this is what you’d call a magical Harry Potter family.
This is good. Love how the parents are dressed as Dumbledore and McGonagall. Love the Hedwig baby, too.
6. For a couple’s costume idea, you can always go with Ron and Hermione at the Yule Ball.
Sure they went to the dance with different people. But still, it was from then on we knew they’d be together. Nevertheless, that’s a great imitation of Ron’s disastrous dress robe.
7. If you’re in the mood for something different, you can go as Fleur Delacour.
This is of Fleur in her Beauxbatons uniform from Book 4. And yes, she’s certainly lovely in it.
8. If you’re into the bad boys, then you’ll find this Tom Riddle a dream.
Keep in mind this guy opened the Chamber of Secrets and was responsible for killing a girl. Also, he’d later become one of the most notorious dark wizards of them all, Lord Voldemort.
9. Out of all the Hogwarts founders, it seems Rowena Ravenclaw has the most interest from fans.
Then again, she probably doesn’t get a lot of description in the books and owned a fancy diadem. Still, that’s a very nice dress.
10. If you think dressing as a Hogwarts student is too boring, you can always go as Nymphadora Tonks.
However, just don’t call her Nymphadora. She doesn’t like the name. Also, she has a penchant for older and hairier men if you know what I mean.
11. Looks like Professor Sprout and Mad Eye Moody are hitting it off.
Then again, if Moody’s teaching at Hogwarts at this time, then it’s probably not Moody. Then again, no one seemed to know the difference.
12. Apparently, Dumbledore appears to have had his beard trimmed.
Still, that woman makes a rather convincing McGonagall. Yet, I guess this guy decided to use his natural beard for Dumbledore.
13. Step right this way to board the Hogwarts Express.
You have to admit this is a very clever costume. Besides, it’s unlikely she’s going to run into anyone else dressed like her.
14. Someone seems to be ready for their first trip to Hogwarts.
This little one sure makes an adorable Harry Potter. Yeah, I know he’s a little young to read the books. But I don’t care.
15. When you’re dressed as Hedwig, it’s time to spread your wings.
Seems like Hedwig is a rather popular Harry Potter costume. Still, this is the first adult one on this post.
16. When it comes to bad girls, there’s no better beauty than Bellatrix Lestrange.
You may forget this, but she’s married, even though she’s really not that into her husband. Also, she’s fanatically devoted to Voldemort and can be incredibly scary.
17. As a student at Beauxbatons, Fleur Delacour always rocks in blue.
Well, this is an older Fleur Delacour costume. Still, it’s pretty close to the movies.
18. Don’t look now, but I think that’s the Honeydukes lady.
She was in the first book and doesn’t seem to have a lot of time. However, this is a good costume idea if you ask me.
19. As we all know from Book 3, Harry’s patronus is a stag.
The woman is the stag in this one. The guy is Harry. Like the use of twigs for antlers though.
20. Seems like Harry is just waiting for his friends at the fountain.
This is a woman dressed as Harry Potter. However, it’s a very convincing costume that it goes on the post.
21. All this dementor wants is to give out some kisses.
Okay, this is a kissing booth anyone should steer clear from. I mean we all know a dementor’s kiss sucks the soul out of you.
22. Bellatrix might be an evil, crazy witch, but she really knows how to dress.
Sure Bellatrix killed Sirius and drove Neville’s parents to insanity. But she’s not a witch to be reckoned with (unless you’re Mrs. Weasley).
23. Seems like Bellatrix here is really rocking it with Professor Snape.
I’m sure this is a couple’s costume idea. Least it helps that these characters usually wear the same things all the time in the movies.
24. Apparently, Ginny seems all decked out in her Quidditch robes.
For some reason, those who dress as Ginny usually wear her Quidditch outfit. Maybe that’s to distinguish her from Hermione Granger.
25. Seems like this little mandrake could stand on its own two feet.
Sure it might be dangerous to hear its cries. But this is the most adorable little mandrake I’ve ever seen.
26. For eccentric blond girls, you might take to Luna Lovegood.
As you know, Luna Lovegood is from Ravenclaw and her dad seems like the closest thing to a wizard hippie. Love the glasses though.
27. For smart witches, you can never find anyone brighter than Hermione Granger.
Sure this girl’s a redhead. But she’s no Weasley. Because Hermione had almost the same style in the movies.
28. In Harry Potter, you wouldn’t want to run into this guy.
This is a dementor. When it’s near, it fills the atmosphere with dread. When it kiss you, it takes your soul.
29. To win a game of Quidditch, it helps if you catch the Golden Snitch.
And it seems this guy used a ton of golden spray paint. Still, it’s a clever costume.
30. Seems like Moaning Myrtle is a lonely little ghost.
Yes, I know that this Moaning Myrtle is blue. But she’s a ghost as you know.
31. In a world of magical intrigue, nothing gets past these 3.
I think this might be my first post picture with Harry, Ron, and Hermione together. Still, these 3 kids are siblings. But the photo op is so cute.
32. The world of Harry Potter has the kind of magic that’s fun for the whole family.
Guess the parents are Dumbledore and McGonagall. The boys are Harry and Ron. And the girl is Luna. Love the Dumbledore beard though.
33. A bratty blond boy would always look nice dressed as Draco Malfoy.
Sure he might be a Hogwarts bully from Slytherin. But wait until Voldemort assigns him to kill Dumbledore in Book 6. Okay, I’ll have to wait till his father hears about this.
34. Don’t have anything but homey clothes? How about dress as Molly Weasley?
Mrs. Weasley loves her family very much and will do anything for them. So if you try to kill her daughter, she will freaking murder you, Bellatrix.
35. Of course, you’re always welcome to share Moaning Myrtle’s toilet.
Because she’s a ghost in a girl’s bathroom. It’s where she died after looking into the Basilisk from the Chamber of Secrets.
36. For babies, I suppose a Dobby costume is nice.
Dobby is a great costume for babies. Because Dobby is small and means well. Even if Dobby tends to be a bit misguided.
37. Seems like this little Hedwig is about to take flight.
Seems like this Hedwig costume is easy to make with the owl hat and wings. And it’s so adorable.
38. When it comes to pink nightmares, no one does it better than Dolores Umbridge.
Sure she might be dressed like Jackie Kennedy. But she’s a sadistic witch who’d force you to write in blood if she thinks you’re lying.
39. Remember, you won’t be able to get in the Gryffindor common room until after the Fat Lady sings.
Well, this is the one from the 3rd movie. But yes, she’s kind of a diva.
40. For Divination, let me introduce you to Sibyl Trelawney.
Seems like this costume is worn by an actual teacher. Nevertheless, as far as Trelawney’s effectiveness as a seer, it’s up for debate. But she did get one prediction right as seen in Book 5.
41. For juicy Daily Prophet gossip, here’s the one and only Rita Skeeter.
Rita Skeeter is a rather sleazy character in Book 4. I mean when she interviewed Harry, she made a lot of shit up like him having a romance with Hermione. Take off the glasses, this could also work as an Effie Trinket costume.
42. When she wears her checkered shawl, Umbridge is on the warpath.
The reason why fans hate Umbridge so much is that she’s an authority figure who makes other people’s lives miserable. And in many ways, people might know someone like her, too.
43. In a family like this, it seems that the parents have gone to evil.
Yes, it’s another Harry Potter family. But this time the parents are Voldemort and Bellatrix. And the kids consist of Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Hedwig.
44. As Transfiguration teacher and head of Gryffindor House, Professor McGonagall doesn’t put up with your shit.
And where would McGonagall be with her trademark green robe? She also transforms as a cat.
45. Seems like Harry really loves his owl.
And it looks like this baby is getting squeezed by a brother’s hug. Still, it’s so cute.
46. Guess Professor Sprout just uprooted a baby mandrake.
Well, Sprout is the Herbology teacher and thank God she was growing mandrakes when the Chamber of Secrets was opened. After all, a few students ended up petrified but none were killed.
47. Perhaps you’d like to see Trelawney in green.
Now this one seems more like her outfit from the movie. Nevertheless, Trelawney can be pretty weird at times. Like when she talks about the grim.
48. No Harry Potter costume post would be complete without Harry’s parents.
Yes, they seem so happy together. However, you know these two have to die to kick off the series.
49. May I introduce you to the one and only Harry Clawter.
It’s a cat that’s dressed up as Harry Potter. But at least it won’t mind having a room under the stairs.
50. Seems Dobby has gotten hold of a sock.
Master has given Dobby a sock. Master has given him clothes. Therefore, Dobby is free.
51. Dumbledore seems to be observing the preparations to see if they’re in order.
Because you can’t have a Hogwarts party without its headmaster Dumbledore. However, he seems to be overseeing a meeting for the Order of the Phoenix.
52. “Yer a wizard, Harry.”
Well, it’s about time I had Hagrid on this post. After all, he’s a rather important character. Also, this is cute.
53. “Dobby had to punish himself, Sir.”
Yes, this is another Dobby costume. But this is an adult one. Pretty funny.
54. “Turn to page 394.”
“Ah, Mr. Potter, our new celebrity.” Alan Rickman, you will be missed.
55. This Hedwig appears covered in feathers.
That’s another cute Hedwig costume. Wonder how long it took to make that.
56. Seems like Hedwig has something special for Harry in the mail.
Yeah, I know it’s another Harry and Hedwig costume. But this a couples version. That’s different.
57. Looks like Harry, Ron, and Hermione are just taking a walk in the woods with Hagrid.
Well, I’m sure Hagrid’s a giant to these kids. But all and all, this so adorable.
58. There are times when taking the Polyjuice potion is not a good idea.
You have to feel for Hermione who spent all that time making Polyjuice potion. Only to make that one little mistake with cat fur.
59. Looks like Luna Lovegood is all ready for Quidditch.
Well, she’s wearing her Gryffindor lion hat anyway. Nevertheless, you can’t help but love her being as weird as she is.
60. To find your way around the castle, it helps to dress up as the Marauders’ Map.
Wonder what it took to make that dress. Still, it’s pretty clever.
61. When it comes to hair Narcissa Malfoy rocks with 2 colors.
Narcissa Malfoy is Draco’s mom, Lucius’s wife, and Bellatrix’s sister. Oh, and she’s also Sirius Black’s cousin. But she really loves her family.
62. And here we have one of Voldemort’s followers, a Death Eater.
Yes, Death Eaters might have cool costumes. But they’re also pureblood supremacists and murderers. Just so you know.
63. Seems like Snape really loved his mother that he took time to visit her grave.
After all, he is the Half-Blood Prince. Prince was his mother’s maiden name. Just so you know from Book 6.
64. Here’s Mrs. Weasley at her home in her trademark shawl.
Now that seems like a more homey costume for Mrs. Weasley. But go after Ginny and it’s, “Not my daughter, you bitch!” and your ass goodbye, Bellatrix.
65. Seems like Sirius and Tonks have it all under control at this convention.
Of course, these two are first cousins once-removed. Also, Tonks ends up with his friend after her aunt Bellatrix does away with Sirius.
66. How about a little mandrake in your flower pot?
Not sure why they have babies wearing mandrake costumes. Yet, at any rate, this is cute.
67. When it comes to Harry Potter costumes, you can’t do better than Fawkes and Neville Longbottom.
That guy is supposed to be Neville by the way. Yes, I know it doesn’t look like much. But I had to put him in this post somehow.
68. How about you go in Mr. Weasley’s flying car for a wild ride?
Can’t believe they have Mr. Weasley’s flying car. Let’s just say it’s a car with real character.
69. Seems like Harry Potter mania has swept the stables.
Yes, that’s a Harry Potter horse. How that came to be, I don’t have the slightest idea.
70. Looks like this dementor is giving out free hugs.
Oh, wait, you’d rather not be anywhere near a dementor. Let’s hope it doesn’t kiss you.
71. When it comes to evil fashion, nobody does it better than Lucius Malfoy.
Lucius Malfoy may seem to have more fun than others as a villain. But his heyday all ends when he’s sent to Azkaban. He’s not the same after that.
72. Of course, you couldn’t forget a moment with Harry Potter and Fluffy.
In the movies, Fluffy is much bigger and in a different color. But this will certainly do.
73. Look out, Harry, the Dark Lord has returned.
This guy is so feared in the wizarding world that they dare not say his name. However, he really does know how to make an entrance.
74. Mrs. Weasley doesn’t mince words when her sons steal their dad’s car.
Yes, that’s Molly Weasley in her iconic knitted sleeves. And yes, she’ll let Fred, George, and Ron have it.
75. When it comes to Harry Potter, it’s best not to forget the broomsticks.
Usually see broomsticks as costume props, not costumes. Still, these are clever.
76. Draco Malfoy be like, “Wait till my father hears about this.”
Yes, Draco Malfoy is a good looking guy. But he’s also a spoiled brat who’s a bully to Harry and his friends. Yet, you kind of feel bad for him in the later books though.
77. Not sure how anyone’s supposed to catch this golden snitch.
Yes, this is a baby golden snitch. And yes, it’s so adorable as you can imagine.
78. If Snape gives you nightmares, remember you can always imagine him in Neville’s grandma’s clothes.
I have to admit, seeing a boggart of Snape in old lady clothes was a comic highlight of the series. And yes, that image never gets old.
79. At Hogwarts, only Albus Dumbledore can rock in a long wizard beard.
Might take a lot of fluff. But I think the old wizard look is worth it for this one.
80. To set the night on fire, perhaps dress as Fawkes the Phoenix.
Yes, this is certainly a fiery costume all right. But it’s quite lovely to look at.
81. Ginny Weasley was just going to take a ride on her broom.
Okay, that’s Ginny in her uniform. Of course, many of us should’ve known that she was going to end up with Harry at one point. Yet, not sure what to think about their romance.
82. I’m sure little Draco is a bit of a stinker.
Okay, Draco was a brat in the books and the movies. However, this costume is quite cute if you ask me.
83. Wonder if this little boy who lived is ready for his trip to Hogwarts.
Yes, this is a baby Harry Potter costume. Probably for this little guy’s first Halloween. And it’s so cute.
84. As we all know, Fred and George Weasley were known for their sense of humor and entrepreneurial spirit.
These two guys later ended up owning a joke shop thanks to Harry’s Triwizard prize money. However, the two wouldn’t be together for long due to what happened to Fred.
85. And let’s not forget Mr. Weasley, the patriarch of his ginger hair family.
Mr. Weasley works for the Muggle relations department at the Ministry of Magic. Unfortunately, it’s strongly implied that his job doesn’t pay as well as it should. But his kids are unique in their own ways.
86. Neville Longbottom is just taking some time for herbology.
And he seems like he’s tending to mandrakes. However, knowing Neville, he should be using protection. I mean hearing protection like earmuffs.
87. Seems Ron has taken well to his new owl Pigwidgeon.
Because we all know what happened to his rat in Book 3. Turned out it wasn’t really one to begin with.
88. Here we have Remus Lupin in action with Nymphadora Tonks by his side.
Due to having a certain condition since he was a child, Lupin spends Book 6 rejecting Tonks’ affection. However, the two of them do end up getting married and having a kid together. Unfortunately, their wedded bliss doesn’t last.
89. Wouldn’t expect Snape to conjure up a patronus of a doe.
This is because Snape had been in love with Harry’s mom since they were kids. The fact Lily chose James over him explains why he was a total dick to Harry in the series.
90. Seems like Tonks and Lupin are happy together.
You can tell it’s them because Tonks has pink hair. And Lupin has a chocolate bar in his pocket to help those affected by dementors.
91. Looks like Harry Pawter is all ready for Dogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
And it’s standing on top of a pile of Harry Potter books. Not sure if there are wizard dogs in that universe. Yet, Sirius Black takes a form of a dog sometimes.
92. I’m sure Hermione Granger looks splendid in her Yule Ball gown.
In the movies, Hermione’s Yule Ball gown is pink. In the books, it’s blue. However, it takes awhile for Harry and Ron to recognize her with Viktor Krum. This makes Ron incredibly jealous but he doesn’t know why.
93. Mrs. Weasley is happy to be with her 3 sons.
Well, 3 of her sons anyway. There’s still Bill, Charlie, and Percy. But Bill and Charlie don’t play big roles. And nobody cares much about Percy.
94. Guess You-Know-Who has his ups and downs sometimes.
My guess is that the Dark Lord is looking for Harry so he could kill him. He knows he’s seen him somewhere.
95. Admit it, you don’t to run into this person.
This is the Whomping Willow which Harry and Ron get caught up in during Book 2. You don’t want to go anywhere near this tree.
96. Seems like Fred and George have gone through a few rough stuff in Book 7.
Oh, wait a minute. George lost an ear when they left for the Burrow. And Fred was killed during the Battle of Hogwarts. Now I remember.
97. Seems like Sirius Black was quite handsome during his Hogwarts days.
Well, he was said to be quite handsome when he was young before his Azkaban days. But sometimes you don’t know what that place would do to you.
98. Not sure if she’s an angel or a golden snitch.
She’s supposed to be a golden snitch. But I’m sure she’d fit right in any church Christmas pageant during the holiday season.
99. Apparently, Bellatrix decided to show up at Fleur Delacour’s wedding.
Okay, maybe not. But this woman sure looks lovely in Fleur’s wedding dress. You know she marries Bill Weasley.
100. Finally, Hogwarts could never do without its resident school nurse, Madam Pomfrey.
Because when Gilderoy Lockhart removes Harry’s bones, she’s the one with the Skele-Gro. Yes, Skele-Gro. Clever.