Whether as a welcome mat or as carpeting, rugs have been around for quite some time.Now rugs are said to have existed from the 2nd millennium BCE in the Middle East as we know it. But it’s said that they might’ve been making these things since the 7th millennium BCE which means that rugs have been around longer than writing. Nevertheless, almost every culture in the world has some kind of carpeting from the Middle East to India, China, and Siberia. Of course, while most people use rugs and carpeting to cover their floors, some also hang them on their wall either to muffle sound (like music and band rooms) or for decoration. Now I can spend this post talking about all the wonderful kinds of rugs out there but you’d probably get board after I show you enough from the Middle East. So instead, I’ll show you a few of the unusual variety. Sure many of them might look cool but some will look quite tacky. Others may be taken from pop culture references as well. Yet, none of them would be like Aladdin has. So without further adieu, here are some of the unique rugs for your reading pleasure.
1. Some dogs will do anything for some juicy ribs.
Of course, the dog might’ve placed this mat at the insistence of its owners. Nevertheless, I kind of think it’s a joke. Besides, most dogs are simply happy to get the scraps.
2. Now you can have a room all by yourself with this chalk outline guy crime scene rug.
What makes this rug better is that you can take it anywhere to show your friends. Boy, this will make a great conversation place at your next gym or yoga class.
3. This rug will make the perfect tapestry for the hunting lodge come next deer hunting season.
Seems like Bambi and his friends love doing two things in their spare time: playing poker and killing hunters for revenge. Yes, you wouldn’t want to see these bucks in the headlights. Love how they’re smoking and drinking beer.
4. This rug will go great with the hardwood flooring.
Of course, I think it might resemble too much of the hardwood flooring anyway. Still, I don’t know whether it’s quite clever or quite lame. Either way, I’m sure nobody would want it.
5. For the Pinellas County, Florida sheriff’s office, it’s always, “In Dog We Trust.”
This especially goes with tracking missing persons or fugitives. Of course, they also do dog sniffing as well. Nevertheless, it’s quite funny.
6. While most homes have welcome mats, I’m not sure if this qualifies.
This is probably an antithesis of the welcome mat. Of course, this person might have a restraining order against someone at the worst. At best, he or she might just not like people.
7. Of course, while bears may be endangered in your area, you can always go with a demon rug to scare people.
Wonder if the owner of this rug is an exorcist of some sort. Then again, I’m not sure if any exorcist would want this, especially in the movies.
8. Sometimes when it comes to rugs, some people prefer to be brief or tidy white.
Now this is an interesting specimen. Unless it’s for a single guy’s bathroom, I’m not really sure where such a rug may go. Besides, I think this might be given as a joke.
9. When it comes to rugs, occasionally the bigger and fluffier the better.
Then again, children might get lost in this one. Besides, it might cost a lot to clean and maintain. Maybe stick with less shaggy ones.
10. In this living room carpet, a polar bear stands alone on an iceberg.
Unlike the real Arctic, at least the carpet ice will never melt as far as this polar bear is concerned. Then again, I wonder if Al Gore has a carpet like this.
11. A rug like this might also double as furniture.
It’s also shaped like you’d see a golf course. But unlike real golf courses, it’s much more eco-friendly and cheaper to maintain.
12. Man, looking at a rug like this makes me want to go out and skin a Persian bear.
Of course, I wonder how those Persian bears manage to have all those ornate colors and prints on their skin. Then again, why is it that we never see a Persian bear live?
13. Now I have to admit that this rug really ties the room together.
Now this rug is of the Dude’s face from The Big Lebowski. Let’s just say, you’ll see a few of these from this movie. Because part of it pertains to a rug.
14. As far as the Dude may say, this rug abides.
Now this rug contains items you’d associate from The Big Lebowski such as a bowling ball and pins, scissors, guns, toilets, pot leaves, etc. Still, I’m sure any Big Lebowski fan would love it.
15. Of course, you and your friends will never know who made these tracks.
I’m sure this would be a great rug for murder mystery dinners, along with the crime scene one. Still, the footprints might make you wonder.
16. Guess the bloody footprints on this bath mat might leave a lot to the imagination.
Of course, hope nobody calls the police over this. Because you might need to explain yourself that the scene is not what it looks like.
17. Seems like these rugs are the skins of Elmo and the Abominable Snowman.
Of course, one of these rugs is bound to frighten a small child. The other, not so much. Still, I’m not sure you’d want either of them in a home with children.
18. Finally, a rug that can tell you the time of day.
Actually this is an alarm clock rug. Still, I’m not sure if I’d want something that would have to make me step on the snooze button.
19. Now if someone had a rug like this, I might want to question their sanity.
Actually these are Afghan War rugs made in Afghanistan as an artistic depiction. And they were made available in a Kabul bazaar. Now I feel terrible.
20. Seems like Cookie Monster couldn’t resist those Chips Ahoy in his final moments.
Yes, this is a Cookie Monster skin rug. And yes, it comes with cookies. Said to be marketed for families. But I guarantee this might traumatize some children.
21. If you can’t afford a chalk outline crime scene rug, then this body rug will do nicely.
Hmmm….now this may either freak out your guests or make them think you’re awesome. Either way, it’ll make a great conversation piece.
22. Now with a carpet like this, you can play hopscotch in all kinds of weather.
And you don’t have to worry about your local crime rate or weather conditions either. Still, compared to a lot of activities, hop scotch can get quite boring.
23. Now this Band Aid rug is sure to go well with many rooms in your house or medical office.
Then again, this rug is probably more appropriate for a doctor’s office or a hospital waiting area. Of course, it’s quite long and narrow, too.
24. Step right up and have this rug guess your weight.
Now this is interesting a bathroom scale rug. Of course, not sure if I want my bath mat to tell me that I need to lose a few.
25. Sometimes doormats can really elicit a lot of mixed messages on occasions.
Looking at this mat, I’m not sure if I should come in or go way. Perhaps I should knock or ring the doorbell to make sure. Then again, I might want to high tail it.
26. Now your door mat can look just like any ordinary manhole cover.
Of course, I’m sure you can wipe your feet on it. But you’d probably be disappointed that lifting it won’t lead you to a sewer.
27. I’m not sure if I want to walk into the middle if I were you.
Of course, it might just be an illusion. But do you really want to know the hard way? Do you? That’s what I thought.
28. I suppose this person prefers that we ring.
Seems like they’re not fond of visitors or they’re really into Breaking Bad. Either way, you don’t want to mess with Walter White at their doorstep.
29. Of course, all this rug cost were two over easy.
Wonder if it goes with any furniture made to resemble toast or bacon. Sure might like to see that.
30. A rug like this can be flipped according to the season.
Now I guess green is for spring and summer while brown is for fall and winter. And I guess you have to flip it every March and September.
31. Though some may play video games, who can boast having a video game controller rug?
I’m guessing this might be from a 1990s Ninendo 64 but I’m not sure. Guess I didn’t grow up with video games back in the day.
32. Grace your living space with a rug that goes with the topography.
I mean a rug that resembles topography. You know hills, mountains, and all. Also, I should count flora, too like greenery.
33. Wouldn’t you want a shag carpet that could just keep you warm on cold days?
Sorry, but rugs were never meant for comfort. Besides, I had a shag rug once in college and it spread large clumps of lint all over the place. Wouldn’t recommend it for anyone.
34. Now this rug will certainly go well with the woodwork at this establishment.
And I sure reckon that they got this from a pretty large, tall, and old tree. I mean look at the diameter of this thing! Of course, I’m just kidding there. Yet, there have been trees that have lived hundreds of years.
35. Oh, God, looks like someone spilled something on the carpet again.
Oh, wait, it was actually designed this way. As of why I have no idea. Still, wonder how these people will explain the spill to their guests.
36. Nothing gives a room character than a rug of a hedge row maze.
Of course, I’m not sure if I want to run a pen or pencil through this. Then again, this was meant for decoration, not problem solving.
37. Guess who ever has this rug is a big Lionel Ritchie fan.
Let’s just say I’m not a big fan of this. Nor do I care for this song. But l do like how it’s used as a welcome mat. Seriously, is it clever or what?
38. Nothing makes a room better than a rug of a Mesoamerican calendar.
Then again, knowing what the Pre-Columbian peoples did to certain people, I’m not sure if this would be appropriate as a bath mat. Or for any other room.
39. Guess whoever designed this exotic rugs might’ve been under the influence or was just plain incompetent.
Okay, now the design is fine. But I can’t say the same about the shape. Seriously, rugs like these should usually be rectangular. Not whatever this shape is.
40. Now I don’t know where these stairs lead to. But I’m not sure if I want to try.
Then again, it’s just a rug. But in Warner Brothers cartoons, I can guess Roadrunner can pass right through. But Wiley Coyote unfortunately can’t.
41. Mind that you keep an eye on the floor when you get in.
Of course, when I said, “eye on the floor” I didn’t mean in that context. Also, it looks quite disgusting for my taste.
42. Guess if you’re one of those bullrogs, you might want to pass this one.
Yes, this is a Lord of the Rings doormat featuring Gandalf. And I’m sure this will be a hit with Middle Earth fans far and wide.
43. Nothing makes a room look badass than a rug with Hitler’s head on it.
I’ve seen rugs like these on Google Images. However, I used Hitler since he’s probably the most acceptable example on this post. If you don’t know that, read your WWII history books or watch Schindler’s List. Okay, that’s too depressing so you’d better go with The Great Dictator.
44. Commemorate the Iraq War, with this genuine rug of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Then again, this rug of Iraq kind of brings back memories of not so pleasant time in American politics in which us Americans were lied into a war based on nonexistent WMDS. I’m sure that members of the Bush Administration have this to muse about happier times. Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld in particular.
45. Not sure how the tire marks got there on this living room rug. Not sure if I want to find out.
Now this is one of those John Deer rugs now that I think about it. The tracks are supposed to be from tractor tires. Yeah, it’s hard for me to explain.
46. Enjoy a White Russian with your friends on this one-of-a-kind Big Lebowski rug.
Seems like that movie is quite popular among people who love rugs for some reason. I wonder why. Still, I wonder if they have ones for other characters.
47. For you meat lovers out there, this rug of kielbasa will do quite nicely.
They have a few of these pertaining to baloney, ham, and pork. Then again, this might be salami. It’s hard to say.
48. I’m sure an old timey mustache welcome mat will make your guests feel right at home.
I don’t know about you, but when I see this rug, I expect a guy from the 1800s emerge and say, “Good day to you, madam, may I daresay the weather is just barmy.”
49. As I’ve said before, there ain’t a better rug like an Oreo rug for the living room.
Of course, it doesn’t seem to come with a sandwich unlike Oreo cookies. Nor can it be dunked. But I’m sure Nabisco would approve.
50. If you like rocks and geology, this geode rug will do just nicely.
Now this is a real intricate formation this person has here. Then again, when it comes to floor coverings, I’m kind of a stickler for symmetry. It’s what I’m used to so don’t ask me.
51. Nothing can make a Marvel fan’s day than having a Captain America shield rug in their bathroom.
Well, there are plenty of Captain America fans out there, I wonder how many would actually buy this. Well, other than single men, anyway. Still, something to talk about at the comic convention.
52. Add a little Mexican flavor into your living room with this pinata skin rug.
However, though it’s quite common in regular pinatas, this one doesn’t contain any candy. The hunters made sure of that when they emptied it of its insides.
53. Of course, you can’t go wrong with a rug containing roadkill.
Actually you can because I’m sure this won’t go well with visitors who’d think you’re quite demented. Then again, they might find it hilarious. Either way, it’s pretty disgusting.
54. Of course, everyone has their own way of saying “go away” now and then.
As you know, by “blow this joint” it can mean either smoking a joint or getting your ass out of there. In this case, it’s most likely the latter.
55. Now this rug is guaranteed to give you the ultimate Big Lebowski experience (besides watching the movie of course).
Though it initially resembles the rug from the movie. When you take a closer look, you’d recognize the bowling balls and pins as well as the faces of many of the characters. They have other stuff on there, too.
56. Why play Pacman on the screen while you can play it on the floor?
Because playing Pacman on the floor is way too easy. Still, I’m sure any fan of Atari would want this in their living room.
57. For those who love Nintendo, you might like this Super Mario Brothers map rug.
Unfortunately, I’m sure the princess is in another castle. And I’m positive that it’s not on this map either. Sorry, folks.
58. For those Atari fans who didn’t care for Pacman, here’s a rug commemorating Space Invaders.
Man, seems like some rug makers tend to have a lot of Atari nostalgia. Still, looks quite ornate for one commemorating a video game.
59. With this KISS rug you can rock and roll all night as well as party every day.
Now I’m not a fan of KISS but let’s just say I couldn’t pass this one up. Well, because it’s certain to be way tackier than many other rock groups. Besides, I don’t particularly think metal fans would be into rugs either.
60. Any die hard Star Wars fan would know that you can’t possibly do without a rug of Han Solo frozen in carbonite.
Now this is just priceless. Of course, I’ve seen Han Solo’s carbonite image on almost everything you can think of. Still, pretty funny and almost looks real.
61. Guess there’s nothing to see here. Guess we came to the wrong house.
Of course, let’s just say this won’t go well with some people. Particularly if the residents resemble Italians with New York accents known by names like “Harold Smith” or something like that. You might wonder whether they might have some kind of past.
62. Beware of Bunnies. Guess it’s time for me to come armed with the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
Seems like Tim the Enchanter was right. Bunnies are monstrous animals with gnashing, pointy teeth. Yes, rabbits are dynamite, indeed.
63. Guess this belongs to a guy who works in computers. Wonder why I get that impression?
Now they tell me to wipe my feet before I come in. Nice, real nice. Still, not sure if I quite buy it.
64. Guess someone needs to teach this cat how to bowl for tuna.
If it’s not dogs taking their owners hostage for ribs, it’s cats doing the same for tuna. Jesus, what is this world coming to already?
65. Have your kid reenact their favorite Star Wars scene with this Death Star rug.
However, remember this is not a moon, it’s a space station. A space station with a weapon powerful to blow up an entire planet like Alderaan.
66. For video nerds, this rug will do quite nicely in your entertainment center.
Not sure what this has to do with VCR tapes or anything. But it’s probably derived from the 1980s or some time when they had VCR tapes.
67. For your ugly Christmas sweater party, celebrate the season with this ugly Christmas rug.
I think they have a few of these as tie in to Christmas Vacation. Of course, I only had to choose one for the post.
68. Of course, you can’t go wrong with a 420 tie dye rug for your stoner friends.
While it might be fine in Washington State, and Colorado, I’m not sure if it’s the case anywhere else. Yet, as one hippie said, “Don’t fear the reefer, man.”
69. Nothing satisfies the house of a true Star Wars fan than a fuzzy rug of a wampa’s skin.
Guess Luke Skywalker finally has a souvenir from Hoth to give to Princess Leia. Oh wait, he cut the creature’s arm off and left it to die. Yet, not sure if he kissed his sister in The Empire Strikes Back or in A New Hope.
70. When you slay a werewolf, remember his hide makes a great rug on your living room floor.
Let’s just hope that this isn’t the skin of Remus Lupin. Then again, I wouldn’t mind if it was Taylor Lautner’s character from Twilight though. Now that’s a werewolf who should be skinned.
71. I’m sure nothing brings you in memory lane like an old cassette tape rug.
Oh, the old cassette tape. I remember growing up with these. Wonder if any of my younger cousins will, which I highly doubt. Hell, I’m sure the youngest two wouldn’t know what a cassette is.
72. Of course, a real Pittsburgh Steeler fan can’t show his or her support for the team without a Terrible Towel welcome mat.
Sorry, Uncle Mike, but I’m afraid you can’t go in. Steeler fans only. This is especially true when the Steelers are playing your beloved Baltimore Ravens. (Okay, I’m just kidding).
73. Seems like somebody really doesn’t want to be bothered at the moment.
Yeah, I’m sure there’s somebody this person wants to avoid. Nevertheless, I find this slogan quite funny if you get my drift.
74. Well, that’s one way of warding off burglars.
Then again, it’s always said that the grass is always greener. Either that or they’re really using a ton of sprinklers and fertilizer on their lawn.
75. On this Enterprise rug, you can go where no man has gone before.
Yes, this is the rug of the Star Trek Enterprise. Not sure from which series. However, insatiable green girl not included. Do I make myself clear, Captain James T. Kirk?
76. Imagine yourself a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away with this Millennium Falcon rug.
Sure you might think Han Solo’s ship is quite awesome. But in the Star Wars universe it’s kind of the equivalent of a rusty Ford El Camino or my friend Jimmy’s van in high school.
77. Now this must’ve been quite a ferocious monster in its day.
Not sure what it is. But I’d sure as hell don’t want to be anywhere near it. Let’s hope it’s dead and its skin adorns some crazy single guy’s living room.
78. Welcome and greetings, doggy style.
As someone who’s been around dogs all her life, I know that sniffing each other’s butts is how dogs greet each other. They also tend to mark their territory and leave messages with their urine. Yes, it’s disgusting.
79. Dog hiding in bushes, act as if nothing is going on. Just act natural and casual.
Of course, all what the dogs are doing in the bushes is probably nothing to be concerned of. Probably digging or peeing, that’s all.
80. “Speak friend and enter.”
Now we just have to find what’s the Elvish word for friend and come in. Still, if it’s the Mines of Moira, I really don’t want anything to do with the place. Bye now.