Okay, I know the Men’s US Soccer Team won’t be in Russia since they didn’t qualify. But Women’s US Soccer Team will qualify for theirs since they win the World Cup in their tournament almost every time.
This week marked the beginning for the 21st FIFA World Cup hosted by Russia which had rights since 2010 that was way before all the collusion, cheating, and human rights abuses. Since my country the United States didn’t qualify, this isn’t a huge deal outside diehard American soccer fans. But since its founding in 1930, the World Cup has been the most prestigious soccer tournament in the world as well as the most widely viewed and followed sporting event in the world, even exceeding the Olympic Games. So it’s a very huge deal. And since it’s so widely watched around the world as soccer is one of the most popular sports, you’re granted to see plenty of crazy fans since a lot of countries take the sport very seriously like you have no idea. I mean have you ever heard of soccer hooligans? They exist. You also hear all kinds of crazy stories in soccer violence that make you scratch your head. And they thought American football fans were insane. Anyway, while most of my readers are American, there are plenty of viewers from other countries. So any post I do for the World Cup is mostly for them. Now for your reading pleasure, I give you an assortment of crazy soccer fans and their elaborate costumes worth blowing your vuvuzela over. Enjoy.
- Don’t worry, Russia’s soccer fans aren’t that crazy.
Well, this guy seems friendly though he might just like large grandiose hats. Hope the other fans are all right.
2. Look out, here comes the Swiss cow brigade.
They have plush cows on their hats. And they’re even wearing shirts for Team Switzerland. Odd since I thought they’re supposed to remain neutral.
3. You can tell this soccer fan is a proud Mexican.
Since he has the image from his national flag. But he’s also showing what his country will do to its rivals in the tournament. Cue the eagle killing a snake.
4. The Russians are up and ready to rumble.
They’re all wearing armor and headdress. Though I highly doubt that the war bonnet is part of their culture. Still, they look pretty awesome.
5. Sometimes you just have to send in the shamans.
This guy is from Ghana, by the way. And I think he might be doing a ritual from his culture though I doubt it. But you never know.
6. These Japanese fans are absolutely psyched for the World Cup.
Here they’re wearing pins of the World Cup trophy. Not sure why Japanese fans would wear these outfits.
7. Ladies, may I give you some delectable soccer fans from Greece.
As you can guess these nice-looking guys are dressed up as their country’s most famous dish. You know, Greek yogurt.
8. Bet you’ve never seen a Swedish woman like her.
Okay, that’s a guy. But he’s nonetheless wearing a horned helmet with braids.
9. It’s time for the Chinese fans to get the large drums out.
Well, they may not be as crazy as the others. But they seem like they’re performing a ritual with these large drums.
10. This Brazilian is all covered in flags.
You’ll see more Brazilian fans in this post. Since soccer is absolutely huge there. And yes, this costume is ridiculous.
11. Can’t cheer for the World Cup without Christ the Redeemer.
Well, the World Cup was held in Brazil that Year. Nonetheless, this guy has a rather interesting hat.
12. You’d almost think this American soccer fan is out of this world.
Too bad he won’t be in Russia. Since the US Men’s team didn’t make it. But he rocks in blue hair.
13. Here comes the Honduran Mayan king and his court.
They all have painted faces. Yet, the guy on the far left has a funky headdress.
14. Never thought I’d see a Colombian elephant before.
Okay, this isn’t the best fan costume I’ve seen. Yet, kind of has a combination of both pathetic and terrifying.
15. If you’re from Pakistan, get a load of this hat.
Yes, he’s wearing his country on his costume. Because he cares so much about his team to look this ridiculous.
16. A Dutchman always dreams of a World Cup win.
For some reason, there are a lot of crazy Dutch fans at international sporting events. And yes, he’s wearing large glasses, a pimp hat, and an orange Hulk hand.
17. In the Netherlands, it’s not over until the fat barmaid sings.
Sure she might seem straight out of Wagner if she wore a horned Viking helmet. But this Dutch lady goes for the orange.
18. The Japanese blue frog salutes the team.
Didn’t know what this guy’s significance is. Still, wouldn’t want to run into whoever they are.
19. Seems like Dutch Air brought in a whole flight crew.
Actually they’re just fans dressed as a flight crew so their team lands on a win. But compared with other outrageous Dutch costumes, this is low key.
20. Apparently, George S. Patton has decided to show up.
God only knows what Patton would say in a World Cup soccer match. Still, you can see where the look came from.
21. Apparently, the French fans decided to dress like Vikings.
I think they’re based on Asterix cartoons, which are reputedly popular there. But don’t ask me.
22. Irish World Cup fans always go for the green.
These guys paint themselves green and wear Irish flag wigs. And yes, they’re ready to rumble.
23. Want to see a couple of Argentinian zebras make out?
I don’t get the zebra thing since Argentina is in South America. But the guy seems a bit taken aback here.
24. This Ivory Coast fan can always make an impression.
You know he’s on stilts since no guy can be that tall. But he knows how to draw a large crowd.
25. Apparently, this Brazilian warlock has decided to take a picture.
Because giving children nightmares should get in the way of enjoying a soccer game. And yes, he’s wearing that outfit for Halloween.
26. These leprechauns are urging Team Ireland make it.
However, while these Irish may dress as leprechauns doesn’t mean Americans should do so. Because they find depictions of leprechauns outside their country very offensive.
27. Seems like this Brazilian has his beard really tied.
Not sure how this guy deals with the discomfort. Then again, he’s only wearing his beard for the tournament.
28. You can’t misidentify these all-American women.
I’ve heard the idea of wrapping oneself in an American flag. But painting akin to one just takes the cake for me.
29. Check out the glasses on this Danish guy.
Yes, he’s wearing soccer glasses. Because he has Danish soccer on his mind. Not sure if he’s eating a Danish.
30. This Dutch bear has high hopes for the World cup.
I’m sure he’s in an orange bear costume with the World Cup trophy. Not sure about the significance of that.
31. You might not want to mess with this masked Japanese fan.
Yes, that mask is creepy. Though I have to admit it goes well with the hat.
32. A Brazilian lady must have a big bow at the World Cup.
And yes, the bow is green with yellow polka dots. She even ahs 2014 glasses, too.
33. Wonder who’s in the Ghana box.
Apparently, a fan who’s just as mystified. Still, I wonder how that person got out of that after the tournament.
34. These Japanese fans are looking quite blue lately.
I mean their faces are painted blue and have blue hair to match. However, they seem quite excited seeing their team play.
35. This Swiss man always loves to blow his horn.
He’s brought his trumpet and funky hat. And yes, it has 2 bright Swiss balloons.
36. An Australian fan can’t go without an antler kangaroo?
Okay, that’s pretty weird. And I see the guy wearing a mask as if he doesn’t want an embarrassment.
37. Sometimes you just have to spread your wings.
There’s one guy from Colombia whose costume is so elaborate, people just have to pose with him. And no, I don’t think he can fly.
38. With these French fans, it’s all for one and one for all.
Since they’re dresses as the Three Musketeers. With feather hats from the 17th century and all.
39. These German women are hopping mad.
What’s the deal with the bunny ears? I don’t understand it since they seem quite ridiculous.
40. This Brazilian soccer fan debuts in his new flag suit.
He even has striped tights, big glasses, and a funky hat to match. Let’s give it for this guy.
41. Best you don’t get this German devil lady angry.
Fortunately for her, the German team won in Brazil in 2014. Yet, she has braids matching the flag colors.
42. A Brazilian woman can’t show up without a tall feather hat.
Well, Brazil is known for its colorful pageantry, especially in Rio. Yet, at least her headdress sparkles.
43. What the hell are those weird Dutch guys in Mohawks doing here?
Don’t ask me. I have no idea why they have these muscled guys here. Must be a Dutch thing.
44. An Aztec Emperor should always wear the most elaborate headdress.
If his team doesn’t do well in the World Cup, then he will have his priests rip the players’ hearts out. Nonetheless, he’s also a fan of tacos.
45. Looks like this Roman soldiers gung ho for Team Italy.
By the way, Italy didn’t make it in this year’s World Cup either. So you won’t see this Roman gladiator anytime soon in Russia.
46. You’ll get a big hand from this Australian.
Helps if he’s wearing a wide hat and a flag cape. But the large hand stands out.
47. You’d be pressed not to be endeared with these Icelandic Vikings.
Indeed, Vikings never wore horned helmets. But that doesn’t stop these guys from cheering and singing.
48. Best you beware of the dreaded Colombian Tiger.
Okay, he’s more like a carefree guy with a flamboyant headdress. Love the feathers.
49. Speaking of headdresses, the Italians get theirs on.
Sure I don’t think they have anyone in the culture wear these outlandish hats. But they’re nonetheless colorful.
50. You can tell these Germans are here for the soccer.
Since they’re wearing soccer ball suits. And I’m sure they’re both filled with a lot of air.
51. Mexico is really on a Chile pickle.
Okay, this fan is wearing a Mexico pickle hat. Still, it’s kind of hilarious no matter how you look at it.
52. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Spanish Zorro.
He’s in one of those body suits with a hat and mask. But he’s all for his Spanish team.
53. This man wears a horned helmet for Team India.
Just when did the Vikings visit India? Because I never heard about that in the history books. Still, he carries the look with dignity.
54. These American guys show up to the World Cup in their star-spangled silk robes.
Well, Americans have always treasured their penchant for comfy clothes. But these guys seem to take this at a whole new level.
55. Perhaps the Dutchman would like to bang the drum.
Yes, I know he’ll probably offend Native Americans looking at this with his feather headdress war bonnet. But at least he’s not in his home country in early December.
56. A World Cup victory can always make anyone feel like a king.
Well, he’s German fan who’s probably overjoyed in Brazil. Still, got to like his royal red robes.
57. Captain America is a man on a mission.
Okay, he’s not the Captain America. But he nonetheless has the iconic shield along with the stars and stripes on his suit.
58. This South Korean likes a good cigar now and then.
Kind of reminds me of an anime character. And chances are, he probably is. Though he’s from South Korea.
59. Only the Dutch would wear wigs of orange foam.
Their funky wigs even have flags of the Netherlands on them. And yes, the Dutch seem to go all out.
60. Sometimes it’s best you don’t mess with Mexicans in elaborate headdresses.
Not sure if he’s Mayan or Aztec. But he won’t be happy if his team loses. Still, his headdress rocks.
61. Darth Vader seems to be on the Argentinian side of the Force.
Since he believes that winning the World Cup is Argentina’s destiny. Else, he’ll force choke them.
62. Didn’t know that Pope Francis was at the World Cup with his fellow Argentinians.
Okay, Pope Francis wasn’t there. It’s just a guy in a mask of him. But I’m sure he’d like the tribute since he’s an avid soccer fan.
63. This Italian warrior is ready for the soccer challenge.
And he’s clad in blue armor to show it. Hope he’s lucky that he’s not the attraction in the gladiatorial games.
64. You don’t know nothing about the elusive Mask.
However, he’s here for Team Brazil. Nonetheless, this is a fitting costume in regards to the color scheme on the Brazilian flag.
65. She’s got two sombreros and not much to cover.
And you can see them conveniently placed over her boobs. Oh, and she has fringes, too.
66. At the World Cup, you can’t beat the zeal of the Orange General.
He’s a Dutch superfan. And yes, he’s clad in orange, a terrible color to wear in combat.
67. Heard of cheeseheads? Well, here are the Swiss cheeseheads.
You can see they got this idea from Green Bay Wisconsin. And they gave the notion a unique touch for the World Cup.
68. I give you Watermelon Man.
Here he is posing for a selfie. Has a quite pleasant face if you ask me.
69. Apparently, Russian fans like seeing their players ride dragons.
One has a hydra. The other has a red dragon. But both look quite formidable and whimsical.
70. This American fan is so badass, he even has his own dinosaur hand.
I’m sure Hollywood is working on a movie based on him as we speak. Because he certainly has the action movie look to him.
71. Without the orange you’d think these two came from Las Vegas.
Well, the Dutch never disappoint with their outrageous fans. Though I like the feather headdress.
72. Even hombres can rock in sombreros and Mexican dresses.
You have to admit these dresses are very colorful. And that these men rock in them.
73. Who’s supposed to be the creepy head among the Argentinians?
Maybe it’s one of the players. But it’s the stuff of nightmares nonetheless.
74. This Colombian fan knows how to impress.
This was all the way from 1990. And he’s dressed like a bird carrying 2 flags.
75. Seems like this lady likes to dress in the Union Jack.
She’s there to support her English soccer team. Also, this is from 1970, by the way.
76. These women from Uruguay have some unique choices in headwear.
It’s to imitate the sun emblazoned on their flag. And yes, they certainly stun.
77. Behold, the majestic feathered eagle warrior.
This fan has his arms outstretched in feathered wings. Like the Aztec warriors of pre-Columbian history.
78. Check out that horned creature all the way from Ecuador.
Sure this guy has his arms outstretched. Yet, you can’t help but keep your eyes on him and his strange head.
79. Apparently, Bert and Ernie are rooting for Team Germany.
Though Bert and Ernie are actually American characters from Sesame Street. Guess they have an international following.
80. Might want to watch out for those clowns from Ecuador.
One of them is the Joker from the Dark Knight. You know what destruction he’s capable of. Why so serious?
81. You can’t see anything more regal than these English lions.
Well, the lion has a special place in English iconography. Though they have crosses on their faces to show.
82. Seems like these Italian pilots have landed.
Each is dressed in a flag color. And they’re wearing old timey pilot hats to match.
83. The Eggman always knows how to make an entrance.
He’s a South African superfan with a huge headdress decked with eggs. Wonder how he manages to keep it on his head.
84. It’s not just humans who get swept up in World Cup excitement.
This basset hound is dressed in Brazil’s colors and wears a fro. And it seems quite attentive to the game in the stands.
85. You don’t want to see this Mexican when he’s angry.
But the Hulk certainly knows how to don a red sombrero. But please, don’t make him mad.
86. This Dutchman comes with his own veggies.
He’s even wearing a hat with carrots and a radish. So he won’t go hungry.
87. A Portuguese superhero must know how to rock a scarf and mustache.
Well, a superhero has to stand tall even at a soccer game. And yes, he has Portuguese flag insignia where the Superman logo would be.
88. Mexican Superman would never miss a soccer match for his country.
But keep in mind his main nemesis is Donald Trump. Because the guy’s a full-blown narcissistic sociopath and white supremacist.
89. Looks like one Mexican came to the World Cup on a donkey.
Don’t worry the donkey is part of the costume. Yet, you wonder how many seats he’ll take up in the stands.
90. During American games, you can never have too many Elvis impersonators.
Indeed, Elvis Presley is an American treasure. That’s why you have these fans in sequins to watch a US soccer match.
91. These English knights are up and ready for battle at the World Cup.
A few of them even have their faces painted. Still, wouldn’t want to wear all that mail in June.
92. These fans from South Africa know how to support their team.
Yes, South African fans can dress in crazy costumes, too. Though the one in the large glasses takes the cake.
93. It’s during the World Cup when some Ecuadorian fans don elaborate masks.
Not sure about the cultural significance of these outfits. Must be a Pre-Columbian thing.
94. You’d almost think these Americans have heads full of corn.
Well, our country grows and consumes a lot of it. So it’s only fair if you ask me.
95. Wonder what’s with the pot on his head.
As you can see, this guy is from Ghana. But his pot seems like it’s filling with smoke.
96. Man, this Brazilian has large, uh, soccer balls.
Yeah, I know what some of you are thinking. Still, Brazil is a big place for soccer as it’s always been.
97. All Mexicans at the World Cup, hail your Emperor Montezuma.
Well, he certainly has the outfit nailed. Still, best not to make him mad or he’ll give you a nice drink of water.
98. This American woman always wraps herself in a flag.
She even has a sign for Hope Solo. Though she’s not exactly America’s sweetheart if you ask me.
99. My fellow Americans, say hello to President Theodore Goalsevelt.
He’s a superfan who’s dressed like Theodore Roosevelt. But he’s more into soccer than big game hunting.
100. A big head of hair always requires a large comb.
And you can see that with this Brazilian fan who seems like a used car salesman from Las Vegas. Still, like his large glasses.