As far as bath toys go, there is none that is as iconic or as popular as the rubber duck. I mean who doesn’t remember this stylized adorable yellow duck with its hollow body and flat base? Sometimes it even squeaks. Ironically, though rubber duckies have only become extremely popular in recent years, its history actually pre-dates that of the Teddy Bear. The first rubber ducks were made in the late 19th century by hard rubber vulcanized by Charles Goodyear’s process. However, unlike their modern counterparts, the first rubber ducks were solid and not capable of floating. In fact, the original rubber ducks were used as chew toys. The modern rubber duck would by created by a sculptor named Peter Ganine in 1940. He would later patent it and reproduce it as the floating bath toy we all know and love. Over 50,000 of these would be sold which was enough to gain a following when Jim Henson popularized it in 1969, performing “Rubber Duckie” as Ernie on Sesame Street. We all know that Ernie was paying homage to his favorite toy which he’d talk to and carry around everywhere. The rest is history. Today there are duck races as well as plenty of novelty rubber ducks to choose from besides the ubiquitous yellow one. I mean there are people around who collect these things. And on this post, I’ll show you a treasure trove of the kinds of rubber duckies you’ll see thanks to Pinterest and Google Images. So for your reading pleasure, I give you a glimpse into the great wide bath time world of rubber ducks. And believe me, it’s quacky.
- Skateboard duck likes to do a few tricks.
However, he must be totally quackers to ride his skateboard without wearing a helmet. Or anything to cover his joints.
2. This ducky prefers to lounge around in the pool at the swim party.
Yes, he’s having a great time on his inflated mattress. He’s even eating ice cream on it, too.
3. Seems like Webby here likes to surf the net.
He’s even holding his lap top on his wing. Like the blue collar, too.
4. Mr. Quackerson will fix that leaky faucet for you.
And he’ll only charge as much as anyone on his side of the pond. Just as long as it’s not a big job.
5. This Sonoma ducky always enjoys a bottle of wine now and then.
Didn’t know that wine lovers would be into rubber ducks. But this is adorable.
6. Ponda is going for a real workout here.
However, somehow she feels she has to wear armbands in the process. Even though she doesn’t need to at the gym.
7. For Ocktoberfest, Deutsch Duckie dons his lederhosen.
Because that’s what his fellow German duck mates wear. Or so I’m led to believe.
8. All Feather wants to do is to sit back and have her coffee.
Like how she has the curlers in her hair and her robe. Wait a minute, ducks don’t have hair.
9. This Arctic duck always wears a parka to keep nice and warm as well as keeps her duckling close to her.
Well, this is an Inuit rubber duck, anyway. And no, real Arctic ducks don’t look like that.
10. Sigmud Freud is often considered the founder in modern fowl psychology.
Well, this is a rubber duck of Sigmund Freud, complete with his white beard and everything. Of course, some people thought his ideas were a little quacky.
11. The pond is always safe to swim in with these ducks around.
Because these are lifeguard ducks who patrol the pools and ponds. And they’ll save any duckie who seems like they’re drowning.
12. This cycling duck is going places.
And unlike the skateboard duck, he’s at least wearing a helmet. Good for him.
13. These hockey ducks can even glide on the ice.
Of course, duck hockey games are probably played on a frozen pond during the winter. But you much see how they handle the puck.
14. Looks like Professor Quackerkins is going on an African safari.
Even the animals resemble rubber ducks. However, I don’t think he’s going to find a tiger duck though. Tigers live in Asia.
15. Dr. Quackers is now in the middle of an experiment.
Well, we always said he was a bit of a quackpot. But he seems to know his stuff.
16. Now featuring: the quintessential 1950’s nostalgia musical Geese.
Well, they seem like they’re dressed from the 1950s. What more can I say?
17. These ducks proudly serve in our nation’s uniform. Salute them.
Each duck is wearing their branch’s dress uniform. Their head servicemen in each of their organizations form the Joint Chiefs of Quack.
18. In Hawaii, it’s not unusual to find hula ducks.
And it seems that Hawaiian ducks don hula skirts, coconut bras, and leis, too. Not really.
19. Waddler White always knows the chemistry.
Yes, this is a Breaking Bad rubber duckie. It’s definitely not for a child’s bath time at all.
20. These elder ducks just like to lounge by the pond.
Sure they may not waddle as well as they used to. But they still get around somehow.
21. This little guy seems like he has the whole world on his back.
And in a way, he kind of does, literally. He also has the clouds on his feathers.
22. Yoduck from Spa Wars says, “May the bath be with you.”
After all, if several years in a swamp you live in, smell good you will not. So regular bathing I need.
23. MC Webster is in da house.
Apparently, he’s a recording artist in a musical genre called Quacksta’ Rap. You may have heard of it.
24. These monster ducks will haunt your dreams with cuteness.
Wouldn’t want to go anywhere near the pond where they came from. Because must be a lot of strange stuff going on that might make me queasy.
25. All they are saying, is give geese a chance.
Seems like these duckies are into sex, drugs, and rock n’roll. Also, hope they don’t drink the brown acid.
26. Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabath II celebrates her Diamond Jubilee.
Yes, this is a rubber duckie of the British Queen. Here she is in all her royal glory. Remember to show her respect even across the pond.
27. These bug ducks are hard to resist.
These include a ladybug, bee, and a grasshopper, apparently. Then again, I’m not really sure what the green duck is supposed to be.
28. Wingy is very enthusiastic about alternative fuel sources.
Here he is promoting wind and solar power. Says it’s better than depending on fossil fuels which will bite us in the end with global warming. But the fossil fuel industry goes to great lengths to discredit him.
29. Quacklina always enjoys to relax at the local spa.
Here she is in a face mask and bath towel. Please don’t remove the cucumbers from her eyes.
30. These construction ducks know how to build things.
And you can see them working almost all the time. Then again, they may be utility and transportation workers as well. But one duck has the blue prints.
31. This duck punk doesn’t care what you think.
Because that’s just who he is. Sure he may have skull tattoos on his wings and a Mohawk. But that’s his business, not yours.
32. Lord Duckerton feels like the pond belongs all to himself.
For he’s a wealthy and respected aristoquack of impeccable breeding and propriety. Don’t ask what the servants think of him.
33. This centuriduck is proud of his service to the empire.
Whenever the Emperduck wanted to conquer, he went with the Army. Even if it meant raping, pillaging, and enslaving the populace.
34. Billy Nelson is always on the pond again.
This Willy Nelson duck is brilliant. So I guess this fowl has gotten in trouble with the law for marijuana use, too.
35. At the pond, these ducks are always ready to rock.
Wish they had rubber duckies of specific rock groups instead of this generic set. But you have to go what you can get sometimes.
36. These Olympic duckie athletes represent the best from Team USA.
Represented are judo, swimming, volleyball, and fencing. Why there’s no gymnastics rubber duckie, I have no idea.
37. This adorable duckling comes fully pacified.
Unless its hungry and needs its diaper change. Nevertheless, so cute.
38. These red Valentine’s Day rubber duckies will melt your heart.
You have a lot of holiday rubber ducky sets out there. This Valentine’s Day one is white and red for love.
39. This Christmas, Santa Ducks are coming to town.
Notice there are 4 of them. That’s because not every country uses the same Santa Claus.
40. I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Duckbells.
By the way, there are rubber ducks like these that are used as wedding cake toppers. Just so you know.
41. Guess Pecktra has a chick on the way.
Yes, I know this is an expectant mother rubber duck. But seriously, avian reproduction doesn’t work this way. Ducks are birds. They lay eggs.
42. The Ducktice League is always on the lookout for nasty supervillains out there.
Guess most of the villain ducks are from Batman. As for the superhero ones, I can’t seem to identify two of them.
43. For Christmas, a Nutquacker is considered an iconic yuletide decoration in Germany.
Sure they may not literally be able to crack nuts. But they sure look like dashing duck soldiers.
44. In Britain there is no seafaring man more famous than Lord Admiral Horquacktio Nelson.
Hope he came with one wing. Because Lord Nelson had one arm in real life. But he’s fine without the eye patch for Nelson didn’t wear one either.
45. For all you duckie Fifty Shades of Grey fans, I have just the thing for you.
It’s the kind of rubber duck that you’ll find in Christian Grey’s bath tub. And I really don’t want to know what he does with it.
46. All these duckie pups what is to go to a good home.
Don’t ask me why they have dog rubber ducks. I’m not the one who came up with that. Seriously, I’m just as stumped as you are.
47. “To quack or not to quack that is the question..”
Billiam Quackspeare was one of the great duckie playwrights of all time. Yet, many question whether he actually wrote them.
48. You wouldn’t want to walk to the pond with these Halloween ducks around.
These ducks even glow in the dark to be extra spooky. Kind of eerie isn’t it?
49. This little blue duck is as pretty as a peacock.
Well, a peacock duck. Never seen that before. Wonder how he keeps his feathers dry while on the water. Because they must leave a long train.
50. These duck cakes seem adorable and sweet enough to eat.
Full disclosure, you can’t really eat these cupcake ducks. But they do look very adorable. Like the purple one.
51. This Statue of Liberty duckie is a beloved New York icon.
There are a few Statue of Liberty rubber ducks. But I think this one bears the closest resemblance to the statue in New York Harbor.
52. All over the world, you’re bound to meet all kinds of ducks in the ponds.
These ducks represent the US, Japan, Germany, Spain, Africa, and Scotland. And yes, each one is yellow and adorable.
53. You’d have to be quackers to turn away this girl duck group.
Also work as a 1980s hair band rubber duckies. Once again, I’d rather see ones for individual rock groups.
54. This duckador is ready to meet the bull at any time.
I know that bullfighting is a tradition in Spain and Latin America. But from what I’ve seen, it looks so cruel to the animals. Still, I think this little duckie matador is cute.
55. There’s nothing that will separate duckie Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn.
Wonder why they don’t have rubber ducks for Henry VII’s other wives. Also, does Anne’s duck come with a detachable head? Because we know what happened to her.
56. With this duck, bath time is so much fun.
Yes, rubber ducks are bath toys. And this one has their own rubber duck, too. Kind of freaky, isn’t it?
57. This little duck seems like it’s heaven sent.
Yes, this is a little angel duck. And it’s guaranteed to make any kid’s bath time almost divine.
58. With these ducks, you’re always going to hear about the big one that got away.
I don’t know about you but aren’t ducks mostly herbivores? Then again, I can be wrong. Nevertheless, any angler would love these.
59. With DJ Quacker, things are about to get funky.
Doesn’t hurt that he has a pink jumpsuit, headphones, and a fro. Really classy for the pond.
60. DJ Shucky Ducky is in da house.
This one has headphones, sunglasses, a collar, and a record in wing. Cutest DJ I’ve seen so far.
61. May you be blessed by His Excellency Bishop Mallard of Quackerton.
Not sure which denomination he’s consecrated to. But at any rate, what’s not to love about him?
62. With Wingston Churchill, Britain will ride through its darkest hour.
He even has wrinkles, cigar, and V-sign. Sure he may be cantankerous and drunk but you have to love this.
63. These aviator ducks always take to the skies.
Of course, ducks can fly to the skies without a plane. But you can’t resist these little guys in full pilot gear.
64. You don’t have to be a genius to love Duckbert Einstein.
He may not care much of his hair style. But he sure has the brains. And the suit, too.
65. Uncle Swam wants you to show your star spangled support for the USA.
Doesn’t hurt that this duck is in American flag colors to patriotic perfection. So cute.
66. When these duckies get together it’s a slumber party.
Love how each of them has their pajamas and hair. One of them even has popcorn to eat.
67. Teach your kids their ABCs with these little duckies.
Each duck in this one has a letter corresponding with what it’s supposed to be. Yet, I’m sure any little child will enjoy these at bath time.
68. These little ducks seem to be going places.
These are transportation rubber duckies. Each one is in its own mode like a plane, train, boat, and car.
69. For your garden pond this garden gnome duck is just the thing.
Looks like a gnome except that it’s a little rubber duck. Even has the trademark hat and beard. So adorable.
70. With these ducks, you’re always safe at the pond.
And they even come in blue and black uniform. Either with racial profiling involved, they’re hard to resist.
71. This British guard duck always does his duty.
However, don’t try to harass him. Because these guards can really kick your ass if they could. But you have to love the uniform.
72. Rabbi Duckman is always known to quack from the Torah.
He even has a Torah scroll and menorah in hand. So you don’t mistake him for an Amish duck.
73. You could say that all these ballerina ducks move like swans.
Each one of them is in their own little tutu. Wonder if they’re going to perform Swan Lake but that’s just me talking.
74. These wizard ducks are very skilled in the art of magic.
A few of these seem like they could be Harry Potter characters. Save for a couple. Yet all of these are magically adorable.
75. Under the sea, you’ll find these lovely mermaid ducks quacking.
Each one has a fish tail, bright hair, and a seashell bra. But you’d certainly fall for these at bath time.
76. These nurse ducks will take care of whatever that ails you.
They’re known for their bedside manner. For they also have a reputation for their tender loving care.
77. These soldier ducks always are together in the fox hole.
Or the trenches. But you have to love these little troopers in their combat uniforms.
78. In the great outdoors, you’ll be sure to find these duckie campers a delight.
Seems like they’re roasting marshmallows. Wonder if they’ve made any smores.
79. Of course, I couldn’t leave out Harry Ponder, the famous Duckling Who Lived.
Here he is in his Duckwarts garb. Has his wand and book at the ready. Love it.
80. Finally, for all you wildlife enthusiasts out there, here are some real rubber duckies for you.
Unlike the other rubber ducks I showed you, these are of actual ducks you might see in a pond. You might recognize a few of them. So cute.