Along with the 4th of July festivities this weekend in Pittsburgh (sans Three Rivers Regatta), from June 30th to July 3rd, the Steel City will pay host to Anthrocon at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center which will celebrate its 20th anniversary. Anthrocon is said to be the world’s largest furry convention which takes place in a city that’s only an hour from where I live. So as a resident of Southwestern, Pennsylvania, there’s really no way I can avoid discussing the furry subculture. Yet, despite that Anthrocon has been held in Pittsburgh since 2006, I wasn’t aware of their existence until I was on summer break from college in 2009 when my dad read aloud an article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about a political staffer for one of the infamous Orie sisters got in trouble for trying to solicit sex with a 15-year-old boy. Now I know that stories revolving around child molestation aren’t funny nor something you should laugh at. However, the fact this guy was also a furry and how the article got into his furry activities sounded so utterly ridiculous that I couldn’t help but burst out laughing. That being said, I know it wasn’t right of me to do that and I acknowledge that most furries aren’t a bunch of depraved sex maniacs despite the stereotype. So what’s a furry? Well, a furries are people who are into anthropomorphic animal characters, many of whom dress in animal costumes, adopt fursonas, and attend furry conventions and parades. There’s also a lot of furry artwork that I’ve viewed while I was searching for costumes for this article. The furry fandom itself draws inspiration from fictional works pertaining to animal characters in science fiction, fantasy, and allegory like Watership Down, Kimba the White Lion, Sonic the Hedgehog, Star Fox, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Redwall, and Disney’s Robin Hood. However, while furry conventions have existed since the 1980s, the furry fandom didn’t become the subculture it is today until the Internet was made available to the general population. However, while depraved perverts do exist among the Furry Fandom (like the political staffer I previously mentioned), this stereotype doesn’t describe most furries. But the media has with casting them that way as seen by the example I discussed above that many people assume they are. As for the city of Pittsburgh, well, they don’t mind so much as long as the furries behave themselves and spend their money. That being said, for your reading pleasure, I give you a treasure trove of furry costumes.
- Sometimes you’ll find people who never seemed to outgrow My Little Pony.
Not sure who the white and blue unicorn is. But the other one is Rainbow Dash. Sorry, but I’m not familiar with My Little Pony.
2. Don’t see a sheep on two legs every day.
Also, I don’t think real sheep have two sets of horns. Guess this is probably because big horns look awesome.
3. This leopard prefers to lounge around in a kimono with a matching parasol.
However, this leopard doesn’t really seem content. Also has blond hair for some reason.
4. This Great Horned Owl is said to be quite a wizard.
It’s obvious this guy is a Harry Potter fan. However, his scarf suggests that he’s from Slytherin.
5. This raccoon is always dressed for the street.
But this creature has to be careful where it puts its tail. Like the sunglasses though.
6. Guess this wolf once worked for Lisa Frank.
The rainbow fur is a lucky guess. So are the rainbow sweatshirt and glow sticks.
7. Guess these two are a couple of traveling jack rabbits.
I was right. After all, they have their backpacks, bandannas, hats, and everything.
8. With furries, love always transcends species.
Who said cats and dogs can’t get a long? Well, this is kind of cute in its own way.
9. These two dogs have no trouble being noticed.
Because these two are in bright colors that you wouldn’t see on most mammals in nature. Neon orange and bright blue, come on.
10. For this fox, flying is a breeze.
You should note that some of these costumes do include mix and match critter. And some creatures in fantasy and mythology. This fox also has horns, by the way.
11. This fox doesn’t want to be kept waiting.
So what is this fox waiting for? An easy meal. Beats me.
12. Oh, deer.
Wonder what this deer did in the kitchen that makes him so embarrassed? Anyway, I’m sure any broken utensils can be replaced for a buck or two.
13. This lion is totally pumped.
Then again, he might be some kind of chimera if my mythology is right. Probably one that lacks horns.
14. I present to you bird that was born in the wrong era.
Yes, that’s a prehistoric bird in modern street clothes. And yes, she’s probably among the last of her kind if there’s anything to go by.
15. This zebra really enjoys the view from the balcony.
While zebras are horses, they were never domesticated because they have very bad tempers. Given that they’re lion prey, this is understandable.
16. Hey, is that Fantastic Mr. Fox?
Or just a fox dressed in business attire? I can’t really tell for sure.
17. This dalmatian has a Mickey Mouse spot.
Remind him that he be wary of a skinny middle aged woman in furs with a cigarette handle. Because Cruella just has to have a puppy fur coat.
18. How about a “hi” from a friendly polar bear?
Well, that looks quite realistic for an animal costume. But real polar bears aren’t friendly. Remember that.
19. Wonder what this black cat has been through.
Wasn’t a cat like this featured in an Edgar Allan Poe story? Then again, it’s missing a pupil.
20. Guess this pooch prefers a dog in uniform.
This is probably from Britain due to the lady dog’s police uniform style. It’s very apparent in the hat.
21. This snow leopard surely has a beautiful coat.
That’s a very convincing costume here. Wonder what it costs to make it. Like the eyes.
22. Not sure if she should try on that French maid outfit.
That looks pretty awkward. Then again, it’s probably played for comedy.
23. A dog like her is almost impossible to resist.
Well, this isn’t too bad. At least the hair style goes well with the ears and outfit.
24. Bet this dog is a little bit husky.
Why does he have white eyebrows? Because I don’t think dogs have them. Oh, wait, furries are fans of anthropomorphic characters. That explains it.
25. Now that is one funky colored fox.
As you can see, furry costumes don’t always have to be in natural colors. This one is in pink and black. And is sure to stand out 24/7.
26. I give you a look at an Arctic fox.
Does not seem too friendly. But I do think the head is spot on.
27. This eagle always dresses for the occasion.
For a second, I’d mistake him for some PSA kid appeal mascot. Because he surely resembles one.
28. Never seen a satyr tiger before.
Funny how he has a goat beard, horns, and hooves. Then again, you don’t want to mess with tigers.
29. You wouldn’t want to run in with a creature that glows in the dark.
Not sure what this creature is supposed to be. But I do think the light up effects from the face are cool.
30. Whatever this creature is, don’t mess with it.
Guess this is a case of a mix and match critter holding a couple powerful weapons. Of course, they’re props but still. Don’t know what this is.
31. Heard of a blue beast with bat wings?
That’s something you don’t see every day. I’m sure it’s a fox. But you’d have to wonder if it was inspired by a drug trip.
32. This blue bird is happy to spread his wings.
I’m sure this is a fantasy bird. Because I’m not sure if a bird like that exists in real life. The clothes fit him though.
33. That is one funky colored fox.
I know what you might be thinking. And no, I don’t think the legs and tail are tie dyed.
34. A dog always looks badass with ridges on its back.
Yes, you have the furries that have dinosaur aspects to their costumes, too. Guess they think it looks cool.
35. Don’t mind the sweet tiger here.
She’s just minding her own business. Not sure about the girly dress though.
36. A lone wolf needs to fend for himself in the West.
Because the lone wolves don’t have the packs to back them up. So they’re drifting from town to town, getting into saloon gun matches and high noon showdowns.
37. “Which way to the North Pole?”
Odd, because I thought Santa’s reindeer were at the North Pole 24/7 save Christmas Eve. Then again, I may be wrong.
38. For winter, black and neon green is all you need.
Is he supposed to be a bobcat from a raid? Then again, with some furry costumes, it’s hard to tell.
39. “I shall call him Mini Me.”
Not sure what to think about him having a plushie in his likeness. But to each his own.
40. Ever seen a fuzzy blue dragon before?
Neither did I. But he doesn’t seem dangerous from this angle.
41. Guess this guy has a thing for pampered pooches.
Not sure what the animal on the right is supposed to be. But the girl dog with glasses doesn’t look too bad.
42. All this gorilla wants to do is relax and knit.
Wouldn’t expect to see anyone knit in a gorilla suit. But that’s pretty funny.
43. This dog might have an aversion to hugs.
Then again, funky colors in nature tend to be warnings to stay away. So he might be poisonous.
44. I’m sure you don’t want to run into a creature like him on a bad day.
Another case of mix and match critters for sure. But he does look like some grim beast from a horror movie.
45. As for what to call this creature, I don’t have the slightest idea.
Honestly, I don’t know what this is supposed to be. Is it from outer space? Was it made in a lab by some mad scientist?
46. This high class cat shows up properly dressed.
Because he always has to epitomize the height of feline sophistication. Like that suit.
47. Hey, that’s not a Playboy Bunny!
Then again, vixens are said to be quite sexy. Not sure if the blond hair goes well with the red fur.
48. Hey, it’s Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy.
And it seems that he’s brought the big guns. Then again, as a raccoon, he doesn’t expect to live long anyway.
49. Take a look at this jackalope.
It’s said to be a jackrabbit with antlers from the American Southwest. In reality, some of these alleged “jackalopes” were infected by some sort of virus.
50.Guess this is what you’d call a real cowboy.
Because he’s a cow, possibly a Texas Longhorn. Though I can’t say whether he’s a bull or steer.
51. How about you give one to this horse?
He even has his hooves shoed and is well bridled. Plus, he’s great with kids.
52. This lovely dark horse has quite a mane and tail.
I wouldn’t be surprised if she thinks she should be a Mane and Tail mascot. It’s an animal shampoo by the way.
53. This purple griffin is dressed and ready for battle.
Now I know what this fantasy creature is supposed to be. Wouldn’t want to mess with him though.
54. Guess this cat likes chilling in the city.
And this city happens to be Pittsburgh. Again, not sure what this animal is supposed to be.
55. I call this one a city griffin.
Because of the street attire. Hope it doesn’t cause too much trouble.
56. I don’t this this cute leopard girl would hurt you.
However, a real leopard will if you do something to piss it off. Not sure about the red hair though.
57. Guess this shark doesn’t know what else to do.
Perhaps he’s just a fish out of water at this rate. Doesn’t understand why people flee when he’s out and about.
58. Some predators can be visually challenged.
However, since glasses aren’t available in the wild, this carnivore wouldn’t last long. Also, the blue spots wouldn’t help either.
59. It’s not every day you run into a hyena.
Not that you’d want to in the wild. Also, I hyenas aren’t cuddly at all by any stretch.
60. Not sure if you’d want to touch this hedgehog.
Because if you scare her, she might curl into a ball and give you a few wounds. Yes, hedgehogs aren’t to be trifled with.
61. A black dog can be quite a badass.
And yes, he sure looks menacing with all his gear. But in a cute way.
62. This cat surely knows how to make a regal entrance.
At least that’s what I can tell by the face. But she does seem to have hooves.
63. This colorful bird just wants to enjoy the flowers.
And what a colorful bird she is. Yet, I bet the male counterpart of her species is even more fantastic looking.
64. Hey, is that Toothless the dragon?
I think that is. Sure he’s adorable but he’s very powerful so don’t mess with him.
65. I guess this bear is hard to resist in a den.
But touch her children, she’ll rip you to shreds. Because mama bears are the last moms you’d want to cross.
66. This cool cat just wants to enjoy the winter.
So what if he decides to go casual? It’s his choice. As long as he’s comfortable.
67. Guess this is what you call a real video hound.
Yes, that’s a dog with a camcorder. There’s also a Video Hound website by the way, too.
68. This lizard doesn’t want to be late.
Hey, not all furries have to be birds, mammals, and dragons. Wonder how long it took for this person to make this costume.
69. Seems like the rainbow wolves have taken over.
And they’re trying take another in with crayons. He probably won’t escape any time soon.
70. “Excuse me, can you give me directions to Cougar Town?”
Because she’s an actual cougar as far as I could tell. Still, if she’s looking for a guy, she can find no shortage of sports mascots available.
71. “Mind if I sample some of your picnic basket?”
This is probably a costume you shouldn’t wear at a campground or park, for obvious reasons. Because black bears are more common than grizzlies.
72. This owl doesn’t give a hoot what you think.
Because after all, it’s active at night. So you’re not going to see it out and about anyway.
73. Hey, look, space cats.
Or at least one of them is. The other might be a Steampunk mechanic of some sort.
74. This animal loves to be the life of the party.
According to how he’s dressed anyway. Helps that he stands out.
75. Guess this mare is one of those derby groupies.
Okay, that’s a joke I couldn’t resist. But she does have a nice mane and tail.
76. Take a load on this bat.
Guess you can call him a literal Batman if you ask me. Sorry, Bruce Wayne.
77. Try driving this guy to extinction.
Yes, that’s supposed to be a mastodon which is now extinct. But this costume is pretty cool.
78. Guess I’d call this one a Southern Fox.
Yes, I know the Confederate flag image is racist. But I had to include this on the post just because.
79. Oh, no, it’s the Minotaur!
Come to think of it, he might fit right in. As long as he doesn’t ask for a meal of 14 Athenian youths.
80. My, this canine is sharply dressed.
However, he can still bite even in a tuxedo. And he has the scars to prove it. So remember that.