Disclaimer: This is a post purely for entertainment and no more. Sure I may put on tacky nativity scenes but I do the same when it comes to any Christmas decorations. If you’re a diehard Christian and think any of the nativity displays offend you, please don’t take your offense in the comment section. I’m not trying to offend anyone’s religious affiliation since I’m a Catholic who attends regular mass as well as a political liberal who believes in separation between church and state. Besides, I don’t find humor or tackiness in any way sacrilegious and neither should anyone else.
As a practicing Catholic, I’ve always considered the nativity scene as one of the more important Christmas decorations since it depicts the birth of Christ which is one of the reasons to celebrate the holiday (though not the only one). Sure it carries religious symbolism but Christmas is a religious holiday for many people (and let’s just not have church and state politics get in the way). You have the baby Jesus, his mother Mary and stepfather Joseph (though “official father” on his birth certificate), a shepherd, the the 3 Wise Men, a donkey, some sheep, an angel, and other farm animals in the stable. Of course, the nativity scene isn’t a historical reenactment nor one as depicted in the Bible (since the shepherds appeared in Luke and the 3 Wise Men in Matthew). Yet, while some nativity scenes are works of art as the result of divine inspiration, others not so much. Whereas, some of them may avoid divine inspiration entirely. Nevertheless, even the nativity scenes of divine tackiness deserve some recognition, if not serve as something to amuse us. So without further adieu, here are some of the tackiest nativity scenes for your appreciation.
1. Nothing says “Peace on Earth” than having the Holy Family depicted as shotgun shells.
2. A nativity scene that will bring you joy as well as clog your arteries.
3. A great nativity set to go with your Dogs Playing Poker.
4. A nativity scene which has risen from the dead, literally.
5. The nativity scene of the modern art museum.
6. Someone must’ve gotten their Bible stories mixed up to design this.
7. No better way to put the “Christ” in Christmas than right above your crotch.
8. A futuristic minimalist take on the birth of Christ.
9. So whoo is born the king of Israel?
10. Taxidermy: can make a touching scene into one much more terrifying.
11. Glory to Gouda in the highest, and cheese to his people on Earth.
12. Hark! the herald angels sing. Glory to the newborn…kitten?
13. Of course, no Irish Christmas can be complete without a visit from St. Patrick and a couple of his drinking buddies.
14. So as Christ was born in a manger he was given fleece from the shepherds, gold, frankincense, and myrrh from the magi, and a private concert from Metallica.
15. So Jesus was born in an igloo in Bethlehem as God’s snowman incarnation on Earth.
16. Jesus was born before the quack of dawn.
17. A nativity scene that doubles as a set of bowling pins.
18. So Jesus came to free us from sausage and deliver us from bacon.
19. Silent night, spooky night.
20. The nativity scene for stoners in which baby Jesus will grant you eternal life as a 7/11 burrito.
21. O, little town of Bearthlehem.
22. A moose holy night.
23. A nativity cookie cutter set. I wonder what could go wrong with that.
24. So Mary and Joseph stayed at a stable in Bethlehem Hawaii, where she gave birth to her firstborn tiki.
25. Never before has the Nativity of Jesus has been so sweet as on cupcakes.
26. So the baby Jesus was hatched and lay in the manger on the polar ice.
27. Let’s just face it, live nativity scenes are really for the dogs.
28. A nativity scene only fit for a bar.
29. Glory to God, the newborn chick.
30. Joy to the World, the Smore has come.
31. Even Santa Claus bows to the manger scene in adoration.
32. Christ was born to absorb all the suffering from sin and redeem the world. So maybe a tampon manger scene is on to something.
33. Rubber Duckie Nativity set: teaching the meaning of Christmas through making bath time so much fun.
34. No wonder the Holy Family couldn’t get any rest.
35. The Holy Family under the sea.
36. If Jesus was born in a barn in Bethlehem, Texas, the Bible Belders wouldn’t shut up about it.
37. This chocolate nativity scene is good enough to eat.
38. Santa goes down on one knee to behold the Lord on the living room table.
39. The baby Jesus is visited by the Wizard Gandalf and his unicorn.
40. Let this Holy Family fiber optic nativity scene bring you back to the disco years.