Advertising is all around us that’s it’s almost impossible to avoid it. And I’m sure many of you saw some dumb ads while watching the Super Bowl, too. Nevertheless, I tend to do a lot of posts on vintage ads. But I haven’t done one on vintage ads in general for a very long time, possibly since last May. Yet, I’ve done ads pertaining to holidays, underwear, food, alcoholic beverages, and celebrity endorsements. Still, as we’ve seen before, advertising has been with us for a very long time as you see here. This is an ad for Coca Cola from the turn of the century in the United States. You can tell because of the woman’s outfit. It’s a rather well made ad as you can tell from the attention to detail. However, while I can show you ads like this all I want, you’d probably be bored to tears. So instead, I’ll focus on vintage ads that haven’t aged well, are inappropriate, or are unintentionally funny. So for your reading pleasure, I bring you another installment of vintage ads from the days of old.
- To encourage more quality time with dad, we bring you the Daddy Saddle.
Guaranteed to give children loads of fun as well as fathers loads of back pain and humiliation. Also known as the daddle.
2. Ladies, when at a party, it always pays to be uh, sociable.
Sure it helps to be sociable. But we should also helps if you just put some freaking clothes on, lady. Seriously, exposing yourself at a party like that is just asking for trouble.
3. And remember, kids, don’t forget to look both ways because bike boners kill.
Sure I understand this is a PSA from the Boy Scouts of America on traffic safety. And I understand that “boner” means mistake in this context. However, when most people think of boners, they think of something a little different.
4. At Dow Chemical, this little guy is a “scientist” in his own right.
Not sure what they did to this lab mouse. But whatever it is, I wouldn’t be surprised if he experiences delusions of grandeur with dreams of world domination.
5. “How come I enjoy smoking and you don’t?”
Hey, man, you might enjoy smoking now. But when you end up with respiratory problems, cancer, and heart disease, you won’t. Seriously, I’m glad I’m not you.
6. For the latest in lawn mower technology, get Gay Blade.
When I hear the word, “gay blade,” I don’t think about anything to do with landscaping. Rather many people my age tend to think of offensive gay stereotypes. But to each his own.
7. “You dirty boy, why don’t you wash yourself with Vinolia Soap?”
Okay, this is just flagrantly racist on so many levels. I mean it’s implying that this black kid is dirty on account of his skin color. How more offensive can you get?
8. Be a living doll and give him a pick of Dr. Grabow’s pipes.
Because Dr. Grabow’s pipes all the rage these days in Stepford. You know, the place where all the women are living dolls for their husbands since they’re basically fembots replacing the real housewives who were murdered for not being perfect enough. Okay, I think I might’ve spoiled the plot.
9. With Antron III, slips are truly anti-cling. Permanently.
Maybe, but that I’m not sure if slips can protect you from being struck by lightning. Because I think that woman is really putting herself in a very unsafe situation.
10. “Even rain can’t hide that microsheen shine.”
And I’m sure rain can’t hide the fact that she’s wearing practically nothing under her see through rain coat either. Makes you wonder whether she’s on her way to a nudist colony.
11. To prevent sunburns, ladies, you can’t go wrong with this sun helmet.
Hmm…a helmet with a glass shield to protect against sunburn. Still, you wonder why they didn’t come up with a whole hazmat suit to go with it in the process.
12. Tired of Paulie shitting all over the house? Well, it’s time you solved that problem with parakeet diapers.
Yes, I’m sure putting a diaper on your parakeet will keep it from shitting on your furniture. Comes with a leash for walking. Still, not sure if Paulie would like being strapped into something like this.
13. Want to take your dog on the road but don’t like it in the car? This sack and running board has got you covered.
Well, as far as canine safety is concerned, it’s probably better than tying it to the car (like in Vacation). But I think this pet get up seems to make the dog-on-roof method seem rather humane.
14. Remember, don’t go without a Norelco portable tape recorder.
Sure this guy might seem to be flirting with a stewardess on the plane. But I’m sure he’s going to regret getting that tape recorder when she sues him for sexual harassment.
15. With Cricketer, anything you do out in a suit, you can do in a suit.
Yeah, but that doesn’t mean you should risk doing somersaults in a suit. This is especially if he has his hands placed in a spot that’s a little too convenient to suspect.
16. Remember, children always enjoy a big glass of Florida Orange Juice.
Actually, I think these little demon moppets are more interested in drinking the blood of the woman who’s serving them orange juice. Seriously, these kids look utterly terrifying to behold and may be evil incarnate.
17. Carter’s Trigs are always great for the whole family.
Yes, I know this is supposed to be a father and son lounging around. Still, looking at the man’s face, I have a bad feeling on where this situation might be headed to.
18. Even O. J. Simpson can testify that Jogger roller skates are the best thing in outdoor recreation.
Not sure about Jogger roller skates as a product during the 1970s. However, if this ad appeared in a magazine during the mid 1990s, I’m sure it would miserably flop. Seriously, we all know that if O. J. needs to make a getaway, he uses a white Bronco.
19. Tired of burning dinner? Well, it’s time you use a pack of Asbestos Baking Sheets.
Sure they might make eating your food put you at an increased risk of mesothelioma, asbestosis, and other nasty infections that could kill you. But at least you’d no longer burn your food.
20. Anti Nervous Dyseptic Tobacco gives you a clean lasting chew and a cool, sweet smoke.
I don’t think there’s a tobacco that does either. Still, that is just one creepy baby who seems to possess some kind of infantile evil on its mind.
21. Want to feel like a man? Join the Army.
Because there’s nothing more manly than traveling to far away places, meeting new people, and launching some nuclear missiles on unsuspecting civilians. Oh, wait a minute, that’s just insane!
22. University Row’s Chart Stripes will help you put a tiger in a cage.
Not sure about what people think of putting women in cages. However, I think this ad just seems to show the kind of sexism that I simply won’t stand for.
23. Clear your driveway this winter with your very own mail order flame gun.
Man, why spend so much time shoveling when you can clear your driveway with a flame thrower. Oh, wait, because it might set your house on fire if you try to clear your wooden porch with this thing.
24. With Drano, you can clear your drains and improve your marriage.
Yeah, I’m sure Drano might help clear your drain. But it’s strongly corrosive and one of the most hazardous household products available to the public. Sorry, but a clean drain isn’t worth the risk of explosion related injuries.
25. This Shirred French Purse by Lady Buxton is an elegant place to store things.
However, if you’re a squirrel, then may I suggest you store your peanut in anything other than a woman’s purse. Because you’re not getting that back.
26. The economical Kiddie-Coop is a crib, playpen, and bassinet all in one.
Because why shouldn’t your baby be denied the same comforts as your pet rabbit? Seriously, why don’t you just install a crib dribbler while you’re at it?
27. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Texaco kid.
This little boy hopes you use Texaco gas to fill your tank before you crash and burn in some terrible accident that he’s eager to watch with great pleasure. Yes, this kid has a sadistic streak a mile wide.
28. Douglas DC-8 gives you the happiest flying from the ground up!
I don’t know about you. But did anyone notice how it seems that the viewer is looking up a little girl’s skirt? Seriously, that’s disturbing.
29. Captivate your audience with this Playboy bunny hand puppet.
Warning: Playboy hand puppet is for adult use only and shouldn’t be used for adult-child contact. Also, might make you seem like an enormous perv.
30. Score Liquid Hair Groom will help men get what they’ve always wanted.
I don’t know about you, but I think this product’s ad is setting rather unreasonable expectations. Also, I think the women might want to cover up, just so they won’t get malaria.
31. Dishwashy hands scaring your man away? Switch to Ivory.
Basically this ad says, “I’m a fussy and lousy housewife but that doesn’t matter since my hands are good after I use Ivory soap.” Oh, for God’s sake give me a break.
32. Fat is folly so use Le Parle Obesity soap to shed the pounds.
Yes, a soap that helps you lose weight. I’m sure that’s totally bullshit because losing weight doesn’t work that way. Seriously, it doesn’t.
33. Kids just can’t resist the taste of Quick Frozen chicken pie.
I’m sure this boy is bound to be very disappointed when he finds out that pie doesn’t adhere to Mrs. Lovett’s famous meat pie recipe. You can guess what kind of meat he’s hoping for.
34. Support musicians, because recorded music tramples art for profits.
Wait until they find out that recorded music makes their stuff more accessible to the masses. Seriously, musicians have benefited tremendously through the record industry as far as I recall.
35. “Male makes it exciting….Male makes pure man stuff!”
Sure it does. But does this mean you should photoshop people on the crotch area of a pair of pants? You make the call.
36. “Gas…the magic of instant hot water!”
Maybe, but this terrifying baby doesn’t seem to like it that much. In fact, it seems like it’s melting which is kind of horrifying if you ask me.
37. Baer’s paint is great for all interior surfaces. Don’t take our word for it? Then let a bear paint your house.
Let a bear paint my house, right? Wonder what can go wrong with that. Oh wait, everything. Still, it’s pretty silly.
38. Want what’s best for your baby? Try Mennen’s Borated Powder.
Not sure what I find weirder about this one: the picture of the baby in the lightbulb or the toddlers swinging. For some reason, either seems rather messed up.
39. Motorola color TV gives you more to enjoy.
I bet this kid is like: “Mom, can I please change the channel? Because there’s a creepy clown on TV that’s scaring the crap out of me! And seeing him is sure to give me nightmares!”
40. So many good things come from DuPont cellophane.
Again with the babies in plastic wrap, DuPont? Seriously, do you realize how messed up that is? Because that’s insane!
41. For MacGregor’s flame retardant shorts, look for the burning boy label.
Now that’s pretty freaky if you think about it. Still, when this boy grows up, I’m sure he’ll end up starting a summer concert series like “Burning Man.”
42. For house painting, Carter’s white lead is absolutely pure.
Sure it might make your kids shorter and dumber as well as kidney and reproductive problems. Also causes other health problems like lead poisoning. But I’m sure it will cover more surface and last longer.
43. On Army day, soldiers always dry with Cannon towels.
Who knew that army bath time on the Pacific front was an ultimate sausage fest? For some reason, these stark naked guys don’t seem to just be bathing to me. Then again, maybe I shouldn’t ask or tell.
44. Don’t let bad breath ruin your love life, ladies. Try Colgate.
Yes, ladies, use Colgate toothpaste because men are incredible douches who’ll avoid you if you show signs of halitosis. And you’ll have no one to blame but yourself. What a sexist message from a toothpaste company.
45. Remember, ladies, you’re in a beauty contest every hour of every day. So use Camay soap.
Okay, that’s rather frightening to think about it. Seriously, it seems like these ads are telling women that they should look beautiful all the time or else they’ll lose their man. Fortunately, women, if he really loves you, he’s not going to dump you for not keeping up appearances.
46. “Tank Corps…welcome, too, is the brisk rub-down with a good towel.”
I guess this is toga party time for Tank Corps. And I’m sure they they tend to stick to the idea, “If you can’t be with the one you love, honey, love the one you’re with.”
47. Remember, ladies, one zit can ruin a romance.
Yes, women, getting a zit is a horrifying experience that almost always ends in a break up. Seriously, one zit on her face is hardly going to be noticed. Even if it is, there are plenty of teenage girls who have steady boyfriends as well as problems with acne.
48. Don’t let B.O. break your engagement, use Lifebuoy deodorant.
Yeah, because whatever goes wrong in a relationship, it’s always because the woman fails to practice good hygiene. Seriously, did Jessie ever consider that her previous boyfriends were superficial assholes? That might have something to do with it.
49. She was a one date girl because she didn’t take some Kellogg’s All-Bran for her bowels.
Okay, so this ad is saying this woman wasn’t having a great love life because she was having trouble shitting? Seriously, that was her problem? You know how ridiculous it sounds.
50. If lack of muscle is your problem, try working out with Thrush.
Because women always love a man with a massive phallic car part in his hand. Wonder if any of them know what it is.
51. For daring gift for married couples, try a set of matching jail jamas.
So what do prison PJ’s say about marriage? Really doesn’t give a nice social commentary about it. Still, maybe these two are just prisoners of love, blue skies above, leaving their hearts in jail.
52. With After Six, why just have a party, when you can have a ball?
From Buzzfeed: “She’s holding a phallic symbol, two oranges, and a carton of white fluid. Any questions?” Yeah, you kind of figure where this is going.
53. Chiquita bananas are the most flavorful.
I’m sure this is just an innocent ad depicting a boy and a girl sharing bananas. Then again, maybe it’s not so innocent as it initially appears to be. Seriously, were the parents even consulted on this one?
54. Feeling cranky with menstrual cramps? Try Midol.
Because having your period should be no excuse for being cranky at social engagements. Seriously, seems like women at the time couldn’t really catch a break.
55. Married? No reason to neglect stockings.
Because men always hate it when their wife’s stocking appeal is spoiled by constant runs, holes, twisty seams, and wrinkles. And women must keep their stockings absolutely perfect. Seriously, this is madness! Madness!
56. Aunt Jemima always chases those pancake hungry blues away.
Man, this isn’t the Aunt Jemima I remember from my childhood. She seems to resemble some racist Mammy caricature, which is kind of offensive to African Americans.
57. At a time of war, it’s his yen against your dollar.
Yest, this was made in WWII by Texaco. But still, this is depicting the Japanese as money grubbing devils, which they were not. For the love of God, do they have any idea that Japanese Americans existed at the time? Oh, wait, we know what the US government did to them.
58. Rough on Rats always clears vermin, which only a Chinaman would eat.
Unlike in The Big Lebowski, the Chinaman is the issue here. I mean they’re saying that Chinese people eat rats, which is very offensive. Seriously, who the hell would even allege that?
59. Quaker State Motor Oil is as pure as certified milk.
Maybe, but that doesn’t mean your baby could drink it for God’s sake. Seriously, motor oil isn’t the kind of fluid that’s safe for human consumption.
60. Carter’s will always make your kids look sharp.
Then again, it might make your kids look like a bunch of mindless lobotomized Ralphies who might devour your brains. Might want to reconsider.
61. There are big reasons for better roads like nuclear weapons.
Really? But if an atomic bomb were to go off, we’d all be annihilated. So why we’d need better roads then? I’m just saying.
62. Don’t sun starve your baby, give them a G-E sunlamp for the bathroom.
Because why should you deny your baby from experiencing the power of dangerous UV rays? Seriously, couldn’t they just put the baby in a play area outside?
63. Remember, ladies, Balls candy gives you courage.
Sure there have been plenty of women who’ve had courage throughout the ages. But I’m sure most women don’t get it from Balls candy. Seriously, why?
64. Lucky tigers always get the gals.
In his case, this tigerman prefers them stuffed and mounted on his wall as hunting trophies. Tigerman is an incredibly messed up individual who should probably be put in some maximum security prison.
65. Duke of Durham will sure keep those kiddies quiet.
Maybe, but is giving your kids tobacco a good idea? No way in hell. Also, baby Tweedledee and Tweedledum are really freaking me out right now.
66. Thanks to Monsanto, it’s plastics picking time down South.
Really, Monsanto? You know if cotton picking was pleasant as you depict it, then why did white plantation owners hire black slaves to do it? And why did they commit unspeakable atrocities against them and treated them less than human? Think about that.
67. It’s a known fact that more doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette.
I have 2 uncles who are uncles. And we should know that not all of them have great health habits. So if your doctor smokes, doesn’t mean you should.
68. Asbestine stove lining cures stove troubles.
Sure Asbestine might cure stove troubles, but prolonged exposure might result in asbestosis and possibly mesothelioma. So maybe it’s not worth it. And they made these in Pittsburgh? Jesus Christ!
69. For winter wear, you can always trust Spring Maid Fabrics.
And from how I look at this one, this woman appears to having something going on with her legs. Still, let’s just hope she’s wearing pantyhose and not going commando.
70. And remember, nursing moms, nothing perks you and baby up like a glass of beer.
This is for a beer company in France as you see. Still, new moms need to know that drinking the wrong beer might make your baby not want to nurse from your teat.
Great vintage ads! Funny!
Insane depiction of women! (By the way, the word Chinaman is considered racist, too.)
I’m very aware of that. I was just using the word “Chinaman” in reference to an offensive stereotype.