Since humans have discovered fire as a lighting source, we have always tried to use some fixture to contain it or replace it. Of course, for a long time, our ancestors had to make due with torches, and candles. But they did have lanterns and lamps as well. It’s just that genies didn’t come out of them. However, as our interior design tastes so have lamps in terms of not just being a lighting fixture but also a decorative object. Today if you look in a store you’d find that there are so many kinds of lamps such table lamps, wall lamps, floor lamps, ceiling lamps, chandeliers, ceiling fan lamps, desk lamps, and so many more. Some are manufactured from factories. Some are DIY projects. Some are bought to match the room. Some are bought as souvenirs and in their own decorative fashion. But as we all know, all lamps are used to light up a closed space. Now this post will feature all kinds of lamps that many might find either ingenious or incredibly tacky. Yet, each is unusual in its own special way. So for your viewing pleasure, here is a treasury from the brightly lit world of lamps.
- Now this is called a “fairy flower lamp.”
Now this looks like a lamp you might find in a little girl’s room. Well, any little girl who has a fascination with pixies and fairies. Still, it’s pretty.
2. This lamp operates on a gear switch.
Now this is one of the Steampunk lamps you might want to see in this post. Not sure if it turns on with a gear switch or not. But I might want to try.
3. Finally, the perfect lamp for coffee time.
Guess this is a lighted little tea pot tall and thin. And it seems like the lights on this go top to bottom. Still, I think it’s quite neat.
4. Now this seems like a futuristic lamp you’d find in Victorian London.
Kind of reminds me of some electric dynamo you’d find some mad scientist’s lab in a Jules Verne story. Still. wouldn’t mind having one of these in my room.
5. Of course, I’m sure this lamp design was inspired by the movie Alien.
Still, I wonder how long for this person to make and assemble this thing. Seems like some parts of this look quite delicate even if it’s made from metal.
6. I don’t know about you, but do you ever get the feeling you’re being watched?
Now this is the kind of lamp you can use to make your friends uncomfortable. Of course, you need to hide it in a corner like you do with a security camera.
7. For those wanting to do something with your old rotary telephone, perhaps make a lamp out of it.
Seems like this person stuck a couple light bulbs into this phone with some rewiring. Nevertheless, wonder how you hold this thing.
8. I’m sure this lamp is already blowing its own horn.
Yes, it’s a lamp made from an old rusty French Horn. No, I don’t mean an old French guy’s love machine. I mean an actual French Horn like this one.
9. Sometimes you have to give old license plates a brighter chance.
And I guess that this lamp is from New Mexico. Not sure if I like the yellow on this fixture. Then again, it’s their state flag with numbers.
10. Of course, a Cockatoo lamp sure makes your room a tropical delight.
Now to me this is an epitome to tackiness that knows no bounds. Still, you have to admire the effort. And hey, to each his own.
11. Of course, you can’t have too many lanterns dropping from the ceiling.
Now this is listed as a chandelier on Pinterest. But I’m not sure if I’d necessarily call it that. But still, it looks very pretty.
12. These ceiling lamps are hung with a system of pulleys.
Well, they’re only held up by one pulley and wire. Still, I think it’s pretty cool and ingenious. Quite rustic, too.
13. Now this lunchbox and thermos seem to be headed out of this world.
Of course, these light bulbs seem to make it so. However, it’s kind of disappointing that astronauts don’t have a lunchbox and thermos with rocket blasters.
14. Seems like this lamp is atop a stack of tea cups.
Wait a minute, this lamp is a stack of teacups with a teapot on the base. Nevertheless, seems like something you’d find at Wes Anderson’s house or Lewis Carroll’s.
15. Now this lamp seems like a colorful flame dangling from the ceiling.
Man, I wonder how they made this one. Still, I have to admit even if it’s something that I wouldn’t want in my house, it’s still very cool.
16. I call this one a “lawn sprinkler” lamp. Wonder if it’s great for outdoor summer activities.
Now making a lamp out of a lawn sprinkler, how creative. Still, wonder how it would work if you uses for evening barbecues. Sure would like to see this.
17. Have a broken fan? Why don’t you make it into a lamp?
Of course, it might cool you off. But I’m sure it will help light a room. Besides, after making it into a lamp, you’ll only have to do some rewiring and throw out the blades.
18. Now this is a kind of lamp meant for the Space Age.
However, whether “Space Age” means science fiction or the 1950s or 1960s, I haven’t decided. It’s such a lamp that’s out of this world that you can’t even tell.
19. Now this ceiling lamp seems like it’s hanging with bunch of hangers.
Well, it’s actually made from a bunch of wooden hangers. Guess someone has more than they need in their closet.
20. For a more old fashioned country feel, I’m sure a lamp like this will suit your fancy.
Now this is made from an old milk tin and some braided rope. It looks quite rustic to say the least. Like it belongs in a barn.
21. Seems like this light bulb is hanging from a rope.
Of course, the wire is within the rope as you can see. But sometimes revealing it can ruin the effect. Nevertheless, it’s quite quaint.
22. For those with more tropical tastes, here are some tiki mask lamps to interest you.
I’m sure these masks are painted on. But for some reason, they look kind of cool. And in 3 different colors, too.
23. Looks like Thor got his hammer stuck in a wall again.
Actually this is a wall lamp of Thor’s hammer. And yes, it’s supposed to look like Thor used it on a wall. Still, what Avengers fan wouldn’t want this?
24. Sometimes you might get the feeling that there being watched by giant eyeballs.
Yes, I know an eyeball lamp is creepy. But such lamps do exist as you can see. Also available in green as far as I can tell.
25. Now I’ve heard of ceiling fan lamps and have a few in my home. Not sure what to make of this.
This is a lamp with couple of electric fans. Now regular ceiling fans have blades that turn around the center. Not sure how this works.
26. Of course, you can make a lamp out of almost anything you find at the hardware store.
As for these parts, I’m not sure if I’ve seen them in a hardware store in my life. The silver spiral thing looks more like a snail to me but I wonder if it’s some sort of pipe.
27. Now this lamp is made from an old washboard.
It’s something people used to wash clothes with before they had washing machines. It’s also used as an instrument for some bluegrass bands.
28. And you think this was used to warm the kettle.
Now this looks like some Steampunk gizmo that I’m not sure even existed. Not sure if I’d even want it in the kitchen. Probably not.
29. For you geology buffs, I’m sure you might like this rock lamp hanging from your ceiling.
Of course, this is made of something that would’ve been used as a glass paperweight if it weren’t for the wire and the light bulb. Nevertheless, it looks pretty cool.
30. Now this lamp surely is all in pink and rich trimmings.
Now this looks like the kind of tacky lamp that you’d see at Downton Abbey. Then again, I’m not sure if any of the lamps there would have a base this one does.
31. Pipes may not be attractive, but you can fit wires through them.
Like how it’s on a base of some wood from a tree. Yes, I know it’s not the most attractive lamp, But you have to admire the craftsmanship.
32. Wonder if this lamp was used in a laboratory.
Now this looks like a lamp you’d find in Dr. Frankenstein’s laboratory. Might’ve used something like this to create his “monster” (which wasn’t really a monster). Nevertheless, it’s cool.
33. Seems like this lamp was made from a cheese grater and a colander.
Now this look likes it was made from stuff you’d find at a junkyard. But I bet it brings in a lot of light to a room.
34. Of course, a great lamp base can be an old gas can.
Not sure if that base goes with that lampshade. But from how I see it, it probably won’t go well in my living room. The basement may be a different story.
35. Now this is the kind of ceiling lamp that shows you the science of color.
Now this is a diagram about light and its combinations. Red and green make yellow. Blue and green make cyan. And red and blue make magenta. Put all 3 colors together and you get white.
36. Now this lamp seems to be as pretty as a peacock.
Well, it’s a peacock lamp. And no, it’s not a recent design either. It’s probably from the early 20th century at the latest. But yes, it looks like a tacky lamp you’d find at the Dowager Countess’s living room.
37. Let’s hope that this lamp has all the right circuits.
Yes, the light bulbs are supposed to look like resistors in this. Still, probably more suited for a geekier household.
38. Seems like this lamp has a real spine.
Of course, this lamp’s spine is actual vertebrae that ends with the pelvis. Still, it’s a lamp probably best suited for doctors, particularly chiropractors or orthopedists.
39. Of course, you wouldn’t guess that this lamp was made from an old muscle car headlight.
Now this looks like a nice lamp. Could use a little shine and paint on it. But I like it.
40. This lamp switches on and off with the turn of a knob.
Of course, it’s another one of those gear lamps. Then again, I’m not sure if the knob on the side is a switch after all.
41. Don’t know what it is but this lamp reminds me of a hot iron.
Then again, it’s an iron made into a lamp. Still, the bulbs seem to have some resemblance of being on fire.
42. Not sure about you, but someone must think that pin seashells make great lampshades.
Of course, a seashell lampshade isn’t in my taste. To me, it looks like a tacky souvenir from the beach. Yet, since it’s unique, I’ll add it.
43. If your old fire extinguisher doesn’t work, make a lamp out of it.
Sure, it’s not an attractive lamp and might be quite heavy. But you have to admire this designer’s creativity with this.
44. Now this is known as a “Dragonfly Lamp.”
Now this is probably a Victorian lamp. Why they have a dragonfly one, I don’t know. Of course, the Victorians were as capable of tackiness as we are. Well, in some ways.
45. Of course, there’s no table lamp that has more bling like this one.
And I’m sure this lamp is delicate and doesn’t come cheap. Still, I’d really hate to clean and polish that thing. Really would hate it.
46. If you like marine, may I suggests some jellyfish lamps on your ceiling?
Nevertheless, even if they electrocute you if you’re not too careful, they’re much safer than real jellyfish. Let’s just say, jellyfish can be very poisonous and being stung by one will cause you unbearable agony.
47. This is a lamp from the 1950s whose style was inspired by the paintings of Piet Mondrian.
He was a Dutch painter whose artwork consisted of stuff like rectangles and squares in primary colors. Also, for a time in his life, he sported a Hitler style mustache in some photos.
48. If you want to get more with nature, I suppose this chandelier will suit your fancy.
Now this one consists of light bulbs on tree branches. Bound to scratch some heads of some people. And might make some think you’re a weirdo.
49. Now this gives a whole new meaning to the word, “snake light.”
Now this isn’t a new lamp. But for some reason, I can totally see one of these at Lord Voldermort’s place. Maybe because it’s a snake lamp.
50. As for this lamp, I’d be careful handling that lampshade if I were you.
Yes, this is a very spiky lamp as you can see. Also, another lamp that you’d probably don’t want to clean for obvious reasons.
51. Heard of a projector light? Now see a projector lamp.
Yes, this is a projector lamp made with an actual projector. However, the projector seems to be used more or less as a base.
52. Of course, there are some freaky taxidermy lighting out there. This is a badger lamp.
Wonder why in the hell would anyone make a lamp as freaky as this? Also, that’s really terrible taxidermy near the head. Not sure what to think of the badger here.
53. A lamp like this is guaranteed to help you spring into action.
Yes, this is an actual spring lamp. Of course, it doesn’t make you think of baby animals and flowers. But nevertheless, it’s quite a springy lamp. Yet, one that reminds you of mattresses.
54. Of course, this lamp is bound to make an explosive impression.
Now this is a lamp of a nuclear mushroom. Certainly to make anyone nervous just looking at is strikes fear of total annihilation. Seriously, why the hell did anyone thinks it’s a good idea?
55. For many, a lamp like this is guaranteed to blow their minds.
Then again, there could be worse body part lamps than the brain. But still, unless you’re into this sort of thing, it’s kind of disgusting. Hope it doesn’t belong to a certain “Abby Normal.”
56. From what I read on Google Search, these are called “Moonwalk Lamps” reminiscent of Michael Jackson’s dance moves in the 1980s.
I’m not a fan of Michael Jackson and usually don’t listen to his music. However, I think these lamps are very cool.
57. Of course, nothing gives you the feeling of the beach than a large seashell lamp like this.
Then again, this one is exceptionally tacky with the bare breasted mermaid statue at the base. Still, this is a more outrageous example so it’s going in the post.
58. For some reason, you’d swear a lamp like this might have a mind of its own.
Now this lamp is made from wires and pipes with a light on its head. Yet, it’s shaped like a little pipe figure which is pretty adorable.
59. Looks like old Bessie got herself abducted by some extra terrestrials.
Now this lamp of a cow getting kidnapped by aliens is pure genius. I hope that farmer has other cows before he gets to Bessie the next morning. Love it though.
60. Of course, this might the closest we could get to Aladdin’s magic lamp.
Again, this is an old lamp. But it’s sure a fancy one. Still, I think it would be better without the big part coming from the gold part.
61. “Aaah! “Fra-GEE-leh!” It must be Italian!”
Of course, I couldn’t do a post on this without including this famous leg lamp from A Christmas Story. This is the table lamp version. But at least the box looks like it’s from the movie.
62. Sometimes you can make an alien weapon with basically anything.
Yes, it’s a lamp made by some kitchen implements. But put them together, you either have a satellite or an alien laser death ray.
63. For those who like Space Age designs, here’s a rocket ship lamp.
Now I think this one is from the Atomic Age. But yeah, that rocket seems to appear as if it was straight out of a cartoon.
64. Seems like this guy is pretty busy on the ceiling.
I wonder if that’s supposed to be an astronaut doing a spacewalk. Because if you look closer, it sure looks like it.
65. At one angle, this wooden lamp looks as if it’s on fire.
Of course, this is a perfectly safe lamp because it’s just a bulb inside. And the light is traveling inside it to give the illusion of fire.
66. An airship like this certainly lights up a room.
Yes, this is another Steampunk lamp. But this one is an incredible ceiling one of a blimp that gives a blue light. That’s different.
67. Heard of an IV stand in hospitals. There’s a lamp of that.
Now when I hear the term “medical arts” this will appear in my mind. Yes, it’s kind of freaky. But hey, it kind of looks easy to make.
68. Now you can turn this lamp as much as you please.
As you can see, this lamp was made from a bicycle wheel. Nevertheless, I find it quite dazzling, especially with the lights emanating from all directions.
69. Of course, beautiful things come when your lamp is a stained glass violin.
Not sure whether the violin is real. But I do like the artwork depicting birds and roses on this. Quite lovely to say the least.
70. When you look at these lamps, you could’ve sworn they were made of mineral crystals.
Of course, they’re probably made from those stretchy things you find at as store and made to look like crystals. But the effect is awesome just the same.
71. Of course, this lamp dog just had to relieve himself.
Yes, this is a lamp depicting a dog taking a dump. Yes, I think this one might exist though I wouldn’t recommend you buy it. Still, unusual as it is and hilarious, it goes on this post.
72. Those in the mood for colorful candy fun will sure enjoy some gummi bear lamps.
Yes, these a cute gummi bear lamps as you see here. No, they aren’t edible and are probably much bigger than real gummi bears. But yes, they’re cute.
73. Sometimes you’d wonder what it would be like to have a lit noose hanging from your ceiling.
Of course, having a lamp like this might lead your loved ones to call some local psychiatrist or suicidal hotline. Yeah, that’s in very poor taste. Very poor taste, indeed.
74. Fans of Super Mario Bros. will certainly love a pipe lamp like this.
Wonder if this lamp plays the song to Super Mario Bros. Then again, that game’s music was pretty annoying, anyway. But quite catchy.
75. Of course, some lamps don’t always come in great aesthetic taste. Like this poop lamp here.
I think this might be a real thing. And comes in a can. Still, if your real poop glows in the dark, you might want to see a doctor.
76. Now these are called, “Slap It Lamps.”
Yes, these are butt lamps and they come in so many different colors. I know this is tasteless and crude but these kinds of pictures help my blog. Also, they’re funny.
77. Now this Darth Vader lamp seems to find your lack of light disturbing.
Then again, Darth Vader is squarely on the Dark Side for most of the original trilogy. Also, he’s responsible for killing millions of people. So I think this lamp really doesn’t do him justice.
78. Of course, a bread lamp might help you see your dinner better.
Of course, these lamps aren’t edible to say the least. But they sure look great in that bread basket.
79. Sure it’s not in the best of taste. But your hangman lamp would sure make a great conversation piece.
Now this is just crazy to say the least. Not to mention, inappropriate on so many levels since it features somebody getting killed. Still, it does look easy to make to say the least.
80. Now this squid chandelier might go well with your jellyfish lamps quite nicely.
Now they make quite a few of these. However, I wonder if the Detroit Redwings have a chandelier like this in their dining hall. I mean their mascot is a giant purple octopus.
I have never seen lamps like these! My lamps are pretty boring in comparison!