I usually do postcards in early August. But since I had to NFL and College sports posts as well as some articles on our Pussygrabber-in-Chief, it kind of slipped under the radar. Anyway, in late June, I went to Minnesota for my cousin’s wedding at St. Cloud since his wife is from there. And my parents, my sister, and I spent the next few days playing tourist in both St. Cloud and Minneapolis. In St. Cloud, you can see the Beaver Islands and Quarry Park. In Minneapolis, there’s the Walker Art Center, Minnehaha Falls, the American Swedish Institute, and the Mill City Museum. And yes, Mall of America does exist there. But come on, it’s just an enormous temple of conspicuous materialism with an overpriced amusement park. The only place worth seeing is the Lego store, nothing else. Anyway, there are plenty of vintage postcards out there that can show just about anything. So for your reading pleasure, I give you another treasury of crazy vintage postcards you won’t find at any souvenir shop.
- Fasten yourself to this metal horn.
Yes, it’s another one of those old German torture postcards. And you can see the crowd laughing at him. Hey, at least you don’t live during the Middle Ages.
2. “Someone just took a dump at the corner of Maple and Elm Street.”
Yeah, you have to feel bad for that guy in the wheelbarrow. Always having to clean everyone else’s messes on the street.
3. You’ll find all kinds of scenes inside this metal man.
Actually, it seems like a guy inside a metal contraption. With the scenes depicting all the bad stuff he’s done.
4. Study hour is always a time for reflection.
And yet, this kid fantasizes about the football game. Some things never change.
5. Protect your home from intruders with a safety guard.
Actually, almost everyone has these. Seriously, they’re not really a big deal save the price.
6. Check out this papaya in St. Petersburg’s Sunken Gardens.
While the term is a pejorative slang for a woman’s nether region in Cuba. So they use “fruta bomba” instead.
7. See the magnificent prehistoric creatures at the Phosphate Valley Exposition.
Mr. Mastadon is utterly incensed that all the other giant mammals are on his lawn. Prepare to be gored.
8. Enjoy Swiss music and dance with Helmut and Ingrid in Miami.
From Bad Postcards: “After the performance, I want to walk up to Ingrid and give her a big hug and kiss. Helmut, on the other hand, scares me a little.”
9. You’ll always have fun in the sun at the Blue Mist Motel.
Apparently, I have no idea why the pillars seem to resemble Dr. Seuss like tennis rackets. Located in Miami.
10. It’s always amazing to try exotic new foods.
And I think that guy’s about to say something racist. While his wife’s trying to keep a smile on her face to hide her embarrassment.
11. “Discover for yourself our complete line.”
And yet, she’s decked in the most scantily clad hula skirt I’ve ever seen. While she has a bunch of thin skits strategically placed at her breasts.
12. “Just specify the shape you want.”
I’m sure this postcard is totally photoshopped. Seriously, the light on the woman doesn’t match the light in the background. Also, is she just wearing a red sheet?
13. Just a fair catch at the Florida Keys.
From Bad Postcards: “The dog at bottom left looks like he’s ashamed to be included in the picture.”
14. Would you want it in pink or blue?
Either way, they seem like a couple of freaky old guy faces with sunglasses. Also what’s with the ears and legs?
15. Chief Halftown is a bowler supreme.
From the back: “A full-blooded Seneca Indian, Chief Halftown has traveled thousands of miles in helping thousands of youngsters learn to enjoy the fun of bowling. There are Chief Halftown Junior Bowling Clubs in over 200 cities in the United States and Canada.” Wait a minute, I don’t think warbonnets are Seneca Indian garb since they’re Iroquois.
16. There’s always one in every bar.
You mean a horse’s ass? Indeed, I can believe it. Since we already have a horse’s ass in the White House.
17. Protocertops once roamed the Gobi Desert.
But I’m sure some people might see it as a combination between a Triceratops and a parrot. Seriously, look at that beak.
18. Any of these beautiful candles will make a great gift.
These are great for entertaining your guests in the basement area where you smoke your pot to the Grateful Dead. Wonder if any of them are scented.
19. Hans and Alice Grossniklaus sell their cheese from their Alpine Cheese chalet mobile.
And yet, they keep their van open. Despite that cheese often needs refrigeration.
20. Enjoy a toast to fine Alpine wine.
While Heinrich was fine in his lederhosen, Bertha already had a few drinks. Besides, she thinks that Heinrich looks idiotic in his lederhosen.
21. “Stop Mastitis with Masti-Kure.”
I think it has something to do with cows since they’re in the background. But there’s a nice collection of large syringes.
22. With Trip-It, you can feed songbirds with ease while baffling squirrels.
I’m sure squirrels will eventually figure this out. Also, stuffed birds not included.
23. Greetings from Lizzard Butte, Idaho.
Okay, I can sort of see the point with this rock formation. Yet, for a place called “Lizzard Butte” the sight is disappointing.
24. You can wear this scarf 4 ways.
Looks include the Pilgrim, the choir singer, the shaky collar, and the preacher. Available at all retail outlets.
25. Come and marvel at the world’s largest cereal plant.
If anyone wants me to admire an industrial plant, the architecture has to be amazing. This is not.
26. Sagebrush is Nevada’s state flower.
Apparently, this postcard really doesn’t show the sagebrush’s splendor. Seems more like a bunch of desert bushes.
27. “Here’s the paper, here’s the ink, and here’s the toner.”
I guess this is a very old timey printer. Yet, despite her smiling, Gladys isn’t exactly thrilled with showing the new recruits how to maintain one of these stupid machines.
28. Come to the Steiff Museum to see Susi and Fiffy.
The cats are actually fine in this. But the taxidermy mice are straight from nightmares.
29. The office coffee maker should always match the table.
She seems so happy getting the coffee at the office. Too bad she can’t poison it before giving the cup to her boss.
30. Enjoy the taste of Valleydale Honee Weenees.
You know weenee also has a different connotation. Also note the guy on the left on the wrapper has a very long trombone.
31. Having a party? They’ll cover your catering.
On second thought, I don’t think so. Most of what’s on these platters is disgusting. Save for the cake and buns.
32. Aluminum siding is an investment in better living.
The house isn’t quite bad. But the chimney sort of seems like the owner’s trying to signal to aliens.
33. Shop and win this imported ceramic decorator set.
Comment from Bad Postcards: “Holiday generosity – or passive aggressive rage? Innocent holiday table-ware – or slightly disguised alter pieces to H.P. Lovecraft’s Elder Gods?”
34. Wow your guests with Wetzstein’s all white meat cooked turkey.
What the hell is this? I heard it’s called turkey cake. However, I think it’s really disgusting.
35. Anyone could enjoy these fireplace logs.
Actually these are fake and only used for decoration. Also, the fires seem like they’re electric and don’t seem to ignite well.
36. A lady’s razor always needs a stylish pouch.
The razor should also be decorated with painted flowers. Oh, and you should shave in front of your vanity instead of in the bathtub.
37. Buy from us and we’ll give you this “Gracious Living” set.
And it’s on rooster pattern. God, this looks really ugly. Seriously, why?
38. Feel free to dine in The Wolf’s Den.
Here Lula comes across her ideal man. Big, strong, and unapologetically savage.
39. In a mood for a catfight?
It’s just a taxidermy depicting 2 cougars fighting. Nonetheless, it almost looks like the real thing. Almost.
40. Come down to Miami to meet Alan Shepard, John Glenn, and Scott Carpenter.
Yet, all these guys have had their souls removed after returning from earth. So they’re all now lifeless zombies wandering the planet.
41. Come in and dine at Ft. Lauderdale’s Polynesian Room.
Includes Polynesian cuisine and quality entertainment. Introducing scantily clad women with hula skirts and shirtless men. Check out the neon tiki images.
42. Wheatlands Motel gives you all the necessary amenities.
“Home of the Blue Angels while in Garden City, Kansas.” Too bad their bright orange flight suits reminds me of prison uniforms.
43. “Having fun at Bradley Beach, New Jersey.”
Don’t really seem like having fun to me. Not even the kids. Then again, they must’ve just seen Chris Christie pass by.
44. New York’s Georgian Hotel has a heart-shaped tub in every room.
I don’t know about you. But if I were that woman, I wouldn’t spend one more minute in that tub with her creepy boyfriend. Seriously, he looks so creepy. Also, the mirrors really kill the mood.
45. Bob and Jimmie Nusca serve the Lord in Bangladesh.
They seem more like doctors than missionaries. While the husband seems like an old Dr. House on happy pills.
46. In Van Nuys, California, come down and eat at the Valley Ho.
For God’s sake, this is a family restaurant like Denny’s. Not a whorehouse. Who’d even have such a demented idea?
47. Greetings from Dancing Waters in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin.
Seeing this neon light and fountain display, you’d think Wisconsin Dells was the Midwest equivalent to Las Vegas. Not sure if it’s true. But did they have to use all that red?
48. Here we come to a man harvesting peanuts in Dixie.
On one hand, peanut cultivation wasn’t widespread until after the American Civil War. On the other hand, the South employed blacks as sharecroppers in agricultural work. Either way, I’m sure he’s not harvesting peanuts on his own land or for a sufficient wage.
49. Check out this gigantic power dam.
It’s called the Moses-Saunders Dam, which extends from Canada to New York. Wonder if a beaver can build anything remotely like that.
50. Cardinal Francis Spellman meets Pope John XXIII.
To have wax figures of either man like this is pure blasphemy. Also, someone doesn’t seem to like Spellman too much since he looks like a corrupt churchman.
51. Wish you were here at Auburn Prison.
I don’t know about you. But why the hell would anyone want to visit a prison town? It might be nice. But the town is built around a prison.
52. Here we have 2 bull moose duking it out in the forest.
Located in Gaylord, Michigan. Still, this seems more like a painting than a taxidermy display.
53. If you think your life is bad, look at a cow who’s stepped on her udder.
Sorry, but I don’t think a cow can step on her udders. Think it’s physiologically impossible.
54. Mr. Tibbles closes in for the kill.
Here a he climbs a tree to catch a bird carrying a salt shaker. So he really means business.
55. Come and enjoy the hunt for deer and duck in the great outdoors of New Jersey?
When I think of New Jersey, I don’t imagine people hunting. Mostly because people don’t go to New Jersey to hunt animals.
56. It’s no wonder Birmingham, Alabama is seen as the “Pittsburgh of the South.”
This postcard should actually read, “Greetings from Hell.” Because it looks more like a place where bad people go when they die.
57. These water skiers show a display of their Southern pride.
While at best they’re showing their racial insensitivity and willful ignorance to Civil War history. At worst, they’re proclaiming to the world that they’re racist.
58. At Finocchio’s you’ll find fabulous female impersonators.
Think of it as the old-timey version of RuPaul’s Drag Race. Some are even dressed from the 1920s.
59. The University of Illinois presents the Luther League of America.
Comment from Bad Postcards: “At first I thought this was Lex Luthors secret society lair. Not just from the name, they honestly look pretty similar. “
60. “Would you like a cup of coffee?”
Indeed coffee may be strong. But Rosie’s added some arsenic, strychnine, and cyanide to enhance the flavor.
61. Perhaps you’d like to drop by for harvest time in Montana.
I’m sure Montana has more interesting scenery than this. So they grow grain there, big deal. Can’t they have more pictures of Glacier before global warming makes it disappear?
62. Perhaps you’d like a large gourmet dinner with lobster.
I’m sure the dinner doesn’t come cheap. Still, the soup looks really disgusting.
63. Death Valley is the Devil’s golf course.
Wrong, everyone knows the Devil’s golf course is Mar-A-Lago in Florida. Or in Bedminster, New Jersey. Or wherever he owns a golf club.
64. Would you like to hear a poem about the seahorse?
They forgot to mention that the female lays her eggs in the male’s body before she takes off. While the babies hatch inside him. Yes, seahorse reproduction is very messed up.
65. “Don’t you ever get tired of the same old bull?”
If used as an expression, it’s not that bad. But if you use cows, then there’s a sexual connotation. Though to be fair, most farms would usually have one bull anyway.
66. This girl delights in using the family vacuum cleaner.
There’s something really wrong with her. Since most kids hate chores. And I loathe vacuum cleaners that I avoid them like the plague.
67. This group always dons the robes with the white hoods.
For a second, you’d almost take them for cult members. Then again, I wouldn’t be surprised.
68. Enjoy some South Sea fun at a Florida luau.
While she dances, the drummer behind her watches her move. If he loses a beat, you know he’s distracted.
69. This dog wishes you a Merry Christmas.
Look, a dog in a Christmas gift box may seem cute. But for the love of God, please don’t give live puppies or any other live animal for Christmas. A dog is a decade long commitment and responsibility, not a present since many Christmas puppies end up abandoned.
70. “Now, where did I park my car?”
If you’re asking that question in a high snowy place like this, you might be in trouble. After all, that car can be several feet up in snow by now.