Derived from the Japanese words that mean “folding paper,” the goal of origami is to transform a flat sheet of paper into a finished sculpture through folding and sculpting techniques. Use of cuts, glue, and markings are usually discouraged. The small number of basic origami folds can be combined in a variety of ways to make intricate designs. Generally, these designs start with a square paper sheet whose sides may be of different colors, prints, or patterns. Traditional Japanese origami has been practiced since the Edo period has often been less strict about these conventions, sometimes even cutting the paper or using nonsquare shapes to start with. Nonetheless, while the traditional origami is derived from the Edo period with a reference from a 1680 poem, the practice is said be introduced by Buddhist monks in the 6th century. At first, origami was only used in religious ceremonies due to the high price of paper. Though they were also used at weddings and as gifts by the upper classes. Anyway, look into Pinterest and you’ll find plenty of origami designs and types. So for your reading pleasure, I give you a treasure trove of creations from the world of origami.
- You’d fall for this paper raccoon.
Seems like this little guy’s searching for some nearby trash can. Since raccoons normally go for the scraps.
2. Apparently, origami has gone to the dogs.
These seem like different types of dogs. Includes Boston Terrier, Bulldogs, and Pug.
3. Perhaps you’d want something from a diamond box.
Yes, you can make boxes from origami. Yet, this shape might be more complicated.
4. Care to see a magnificent creature like this on the savannah?
Here we have an origami rhino. Have it cast a shadow and you’d mistake it for the real thing.
5. Any Catholic would love to have an origami of their favorite saint.
This is an origami of Saint Francis of Assisi. Includes a dog and bird.
6. A griffin always shows its fantastic wings.
I can guess because of the beak. Yet, this one even sports antlers for some reason.
7. You won’t be hearing these bluebirds sing.
Since they’re made of paper. But they nonetheless look quite graceful.
8. Wonder what’s hiding within these hearts.
Each of these even have a bow on them. And they’re all in shades of pink.
9. There are hundreds of folds within a bonsai.
Doesn’t have a lot of leaves on its branches. Yet, it’s a great work of paper art.
10. A hippocampi rises majestically from the sea.
You could call it a seahorse, but that term is already taken. So we call it a hippocampi, which comes from the Greeks.
11. Hope this frog can hop into your hearts.
This one is teal with yellow stripes on it. Yet, its eyes have a certain intensity.
12. Even in paper, a dragon is a sight to see.
This is of a Chinese dragon which is more serpent like. But not as dangerous as its western counterpart.
13. You won’t hear these brass bells ring.
Since they’re made of shiny paper. But they’re nicely topped with a blue bow.
14. An origami Christmas tree must have a star that stands out.
This one has paper folded in tiers. Yet, the golden star almost steals the show.
15. This crow has a piece of gold in its mouth.
Or is it a raven? Since you can’t always tell in these artistic creations. But I’m sticking with crow just to be safe.
16. Bet you wouldn’t play on this grand piano.
Probably smaller than it appears. But at least it incudes a row of keys.
17. Any Catholic would want this paper Virgin Mary.
This is Mary, Queen of Heaven. She wears a crown and a veil of stars.
18. Perhaps you might want to enjoy a bouquet of irises.
And you don’t even need a vase for these. Just some paper to hold it together.
19. This silver angel always delights.
She has silver wings and bows to pray. Perfect for topping an origami Christmas tree.
20. Bet you never saw a duck like this before.
This is just a plain white duck with yellow beak and feet. Yet, this waterfowl will get soggy if submerged.
21. You wouldn’t want to run into this this Imperial fighter.
I’m sure making this harder than it looks. But it proves futile if it defends the Death Star.
22. Some might prefer a modest donkey.
Well, this donkey seems to have a rather long neck. Yet, it can be rather stubborn.
23. You’ve probably never come across this unicorn.
Yes, this is an origami unicorn. Yet you have to admire its mane and tail.
24. You don’t want to put this waterlily in the pond.
The flower is periwinkle. Though it’s not set on a lily pad.
25. These paper flamingos are particularly striking.
They have a light pink body and bright pink legs. And no, you can’t use them for croquette mallets.
26. I’m sure nobody could resist this rat chef.
I guess this is Remy the Rat from Ratatouille. By the way, rats don’t do well in the kitchen.
27. Perhaps you might go for an origami of Our Lady of Fatima.
Not familiar with the legend of Fatima. Except that involves the Virgin Mary appearing in front of some kids.
28. You’ll be mesmerized by this origami star.
Perfect for any origami Christmas tree. Yet, involves a lot of complex folds.
29. You’ll be nuts over this origami animal.
Since it’s a paper squirrel. Too bad, it can’t find any kind of paper acorns.
30. Apparently, this fish has jumped out of the pond.
I think this is based on a real fish. But I’m afraid you won’t be frying this one since it’s made of paper.
31. I’m sure you wouldn’t see this Snoopy dance.
Since he’s an origami work. But certainly captures the true Snoopy likeness.
32. This paper Batman will always loom on Gotham City.
Of course, he only has a cape and cowl. But with origami, you have to improvise.
33. You’ll probably gawk at this majestic whale.
This is an origami of a blue whale. It’s perhaps the biggest animal on earth.
34. A lone flower can always blossom.
Not sure what flower this is supposed to be. But you have to admire the white petals.
35. Want to sit on this lily pad?
Though you wouldn’t want to put it on a pond. Goes well with an origami frog.
36. This origami cow will give you something to moo about.
This is an origami cow. Has spots, horns, and a sunny disposition. So cute.
37. Care for an origami rose?
These come in a wide array of colors. And none without stems or thorns.
38. How about a bear standing on its hind legs?
Guess this is an origami grizzly bear. Even has its own tree stand.
39. Anyone would be envious of this golden sabertooth.
this origami sabertooth is made from golden paper. But nonetheless looks fierce.
40. This origami penguin will warm your heart.
This little guy has his own tuxedo. And yes, it’s adorable as can be.
41. Bet you can’t believe seeing an origami orchid.
You can see a cascade of paper yellow flowers from the stem. Yet, please handle this pot with care.
42. Care to see a crawling black bear?
Then again, there are a few species of black bears. I’m just referring to the one from North America.
43. No one can resist these colorful gems.
They’re all in bright colors, too. Yet, these gems may be hard to fold.
44. There’s something batty about this origami.
Well, it’s an origami bat. And while they normally have black, gray, or brown fur, this one is purple.
45. A paper phoenix is always a majestic sight to behold.
This one comes with a very long tail. But if it burns, don’t bet on it rising from the ashes.
46. Any Formula 1 fan would love this paper race car.
Not very familiar with that kind of racing. Since the dominant auto racing in the states is usually NASCAR.
47. You’ll never forget this paper animal.
This is an origami elephant. And it’s gray with ears, trunk, and tusks.
48. You’d be pressed not to love these paper mammoths.
Not sure if they’re woolly. But both adult and calf have a similar set of tusks.
49. There’s nothing as graceful like an origami swan.
This is made from white and gold paper. And the folds are quite intricate.
50. Who wouldn’t what this rainbow chest of drawers.
I don’t think you can fit anything inside these. But they’re rather adorable.
51. This Emperor penguin always comes with its 2 chicks.
Okay, they may be in origami. Yet, everyone loves penguins so I couldn’t leave it out of this post.
52. For a simple paper design, a pig might suit you.
It’s made from a simple piece of pink paper. And yes, it can stand on its own 4 feet.
53. This little girl always loves her bird in her hand.
Bet this is made from a brown paper bag. Yet, you can’t help but admire this origami masterpiece.
54. This green dragon is a force to be reckoned with.
This one stands on its hind legs. And its chest is folded like a book.
55. A paper giraffe always stands tall.
Sure it may not have any spots. But it’s nonetheless quite amazing.
56. You’d be squawking over this colorful macaw.
Since the macaw is among the more colorful parrots around. Got to love its wings.
57. A lone fox always sits with grace.
You can see its ears, nose, and tail. Though you can’t help but behold how amazing it is.
58. Care for an origami spoon?
You wouldn’t want to eat with these. But they seem rather simple to make.
59. Nobody could resist this paper rubber duckie.
Of course, you wouldn’t want to have it at bath time. But it’s nonetheless so adorable.
60. You won’t believe how many kinds of horses you will find.
These origami horses come in all kinds of sizes and colors. But they’re all made of construction paper.
61. You can’t bomb a Death Star without an X-Wing fighter.
Indeed, it lacks markings. But it’s almost a dead ringer to the real thing.
62. You can’t go on a mission without this little droid.
Since R2-D2 is always saving everyone’s ass. And he never seems to get credit for anything he does that’s crucial to the plot.
63. You’ll have a hump of a time finding this camel.
Yes, it’s an origami camel. But good luck relying on this guy in the desert.
64. The mouse always gets the cheese.
Though the cat isn’t far behind. And yes, they’re all made out of paper.
65. Hope you can wish this paper couple well.
This is an origami bride and groom. Great as a wedding cake topper, so to speak.
66. Seems like these birds are coming to feed.
Consists of 4 types of birds. And yes, they’re all painted in glorious colors.
67. You can’t help but love these Japanese beauties.
All of them have their own hair and a rich kimono. Though many don’t have arms.
68. Best to watch out for this jellyfish.
Relax, it’s an origami jellyfish. So it won’t hurt you a bit.
69. Bet you don’t want to cross this scorpion.
Okay, this is a paper scorpion. Scary, but won’t hurt you.
70. Get a load of this majestic Pegasus.
This winged horse sports a folded paper pair of wings. And it’s made from off white paper.
71. This paper collie is always a faithful friend.
Sure it might not save your kid from a well. But it’s quite creative nonetheless.
72. Didn’t know anyone had a wide paper wardrobe.
Yes, these are origami clothes. And they can be in so many bright colors.
73. You’ll be jumping over this kangaroo.
Not sure if it comes with a pouch. Though it is a marsupial from Australia.
74. Would you like some ice cream?
Of course, you can’t eat it. Since it’s made out of paper. But it’s a rather ingenious design.
75. Anyone would adore these paper Dalmatians.
They even have spots and collars to show. And they’re standing on a green sheet of paper.
76. There’s no creature more magnificent than the mighty polar bear.
And it’s standing on its own hind legs. Yet, I’m sure global warming won’t help its survival odds.
77. What’s not to love about rainbow rabbits?
And they’re all in a circle for all to see. And yes, they’re quite cute.
78. Celebrate the holidays with this origami nativity scene.
Includes all the important figures. While the angel flies above watching them.
79. Per chance you might come across a mighty moose.
This is a gray moose. Since it’s made from gray construction paper.
80. You might run into this ravenous wolf.
Indeed, it’s a gray wolf. And I think it’s waiting for the pack.
81. You’d think this animal is as pretty as a peacock.
This one is made out of blue and peacock blue paper. And the folds are quite intricate as you see.
82. You’d be amazed by these autumn leaves.
These are all in fall colors. Though they’re all maple leaf shaped.
83. You’d go a long way with this dachshund.
It’s in black and brown paper. But it’s okay to pet it if you want to.
84. Care for a couple of purple tulips?
Like how these two are in a nice purple paper vase. So pretty.
85. Perhaps you’d like to have one of these cactus flowers.
Each of these cacti are in a shade of green. And each sits on a flower pot.
86. There’s nothing more spectacular like the mighty king of the jungle.
He even sports a mane with folds. Nonetheless, best you don’t touch it.
87. These origami pill boxes will come in handy.
Comes in standard and rainbow. And unlike the standard plastic ones, they don’t pose a great threat to the planet.
88. This origami deer certainly impresses.
Yes, the antlers are amazing. But you wouldn’t find a deer with a rack like that in PA.
89. You’d love to see this blackbird take flight.
This bird has its wings spread out. Though I don’t think it can fly.
90. Care for some rainbow candy?
Though none will contain any bon bons. Which is just fine since I’m more of a chocolate fan.
91. This paper Doberman stands in a dignified pose.
Indeed, it’s got quite a neck. But doberman fans can’t help but love it.
92. A mighty tiger always shows its stripes.
Though I’d use a brighter orange for the tiger. But it’s quite amazing.
93. Nobody could ever resist this panda bear.
It even has its own bamboo. Still, you knew I had to get to the panda at some point. So cute.
94. Hope you can light up with these paper lamps.
Technically, they’re lamp shades. Each is folded in its own way.
95. With the Holy Spirit, God will find a way.
Well, it’s an origami of the Holy Spirit. The white bird is supposed to be a dove.
96. How could anyone not love this sheep?
Well, it’s a paper sheep. So you won’t get any wool from it.
97. Do you want to build a snow man?
These are origami snowmen. And yes, they have scarves, hats, and smiling faces.
98. This orca rises to catch a fish.
You’d almost think it was a photograph of nature in action. But the orca is made of paper.
99. Hope you’d love to see these boxes.
They’re in different colors and have rather intricate folds on them. Love the purple ones.
100. Anyone would adore this purple flower in their home.
Has dark purple in the center and lavender petals. So pretty.