In January, you often see stores stashed with Valentine’s Day gifts, cards, and decorations. Because let’s just say after one cash cow holiday is over, retail chains just latch onto the next. Though some do use Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday to sell stuff, which goes against the great civil rights leader’s legacy. Anyway, one tradition of Valentine’s Day is exchanging valentines filled with sentiments of love. Though some people may hold nostalgia for some of these vintage cards. Yet, do a Google search and you’ll find that many of these valentines aren’t as wholesome as many would remember. Sure they might have cutesy images. But the words can also be double entendres as well as convey some unsettling messages. While some may depict inappropriate imagery entirely. So for your reading pleasure, I give you another treasury of crazy vintage valentines. Enjoy.
- Happy Valentine’s Day from the fish and the leek.
I have no idea what these two have to do with each other. Makes The Shape of Water seem comparatively tame.
2. “I’m grinding out the wish that’s my heart.”
Featuring a meat grinder in any valentine isn’t really a good idea. Seriously it makes the kid seem like a budding psychopath.
3. “Like mustard on a weenie, I’d go good with you. So be my little valentine, no one else will do!”
The girl apparently seems impressed by the size of the, uh, hotdog. Seriously, I know the dirty implications of “weenie.”
4. “In spite of all I have to do, I’ll never be forgetting you.”
Yet, look in the outgoing mail bin, you see that Susie doesn’t just have eyes for one. Susie is a slut.
5. “I’d share my heart with you.”
But what are they sharing? Is that ice cream? Please let it be ice cream.
6. “Baby it’s brief. I love you, my valentine.”
And here’s a girl lounging in a sexy pose on a beach chair. Definitely not appropriate for a Valentine’s Day card.
7. Nothing says Valentine’s Day than one of a scary clown.
And you thought Pennywise was creepy. This guy’s guaranteed to haunt your dreams.
8. “You’re such a pretty little tot/I hope that U will forget me not.”
Cue the girl reaching into her pocket and pulling out a vial of mace to spray into that boy’s face. I’m sure he has it coming.
9. “Please be ‘frank’, Valentine, ‘must’d be a ‘long’ wait?”
Cue how he’s got a hungry look in his eyes. And I don’t think it’s for hotdogs either.
10. Nothing will please but the whole package.
This is rather suggestive, especially with “Big Boy” at the end. Also, the drawing kind of freaks me out.
11. “Every evening after nine, I dream of you, my Valentine.”
Yet, looking into his cold dead eyes, you wish he wouldn’t. Seriously, the kid’s creeping me out.
12. Will you be my valentine, please?
Still, “Little Girl” and “Big Boy” doesn’t seem to have appropriate connotation. Also, the girl seems desperate.
13. “I’d like to be my neighbor’s valentine.”
Sure the kids may not mind. But both seem to have a look that would lead to a restraining order.
14. “I love you now, as I always did./I even loved you as a kid.”
Okay, this seems a bit creepy. And I think the girl and the cat in the baby carriage is quite freaked out.
15. “I’d love to saddle myself off on you for life!”
May be innocent enough. But “saddle” seems to carry a rather sexual double entendre. Let’s hope she’s not on a one trick pony.
16. “Stealing a heart is no crime.”
Is that girl’s dress up? Seems like it. Still, the rabbit really doesn’t want to see that.
17. “I believe in women’s rights- and I’m right this time!”
Uh, that’s not exactly women’s rights. Besides, there’s a chance she could be wrong.
18. “I’m in a stew over you, Valentine!”
Yet, this doesn’t mean you should put a dog in a big pot of stew. Unless this is from China.
19. This clown has lots of love for you.
Still, that doesn’t mean you should go near that guy since he’s pretty terrifying. Though you have to admire how he juggles hearts and a barrel.
20. “You iss like a flower in the garden of my heart.”
I’m not sure if I’d want flowers from a kid who can easily be the killer in a horror movie. But that’s just me.
21. “You’re the girl for my boy-cycle.”
For one, the kid is as creepy as hell. Secondly, I think by “boy-cycle” he means his penis. But I must’ve had my mind in the gutter too long.
22. Happy Valentine’s Day from the cross-eyed Dutch girl.
This must’ve been the fault of the illustration. But you wonder if the girl doesn’t see a doctor. Then again, she might not be able to afford it.
23. “You’ve got me eating out of your hands, my Valentine.”
I’m guessing the gator is into the girl in the grass skirt. And the girl seems okay with it. Or is that supposed to be a dinosaur? Oh, God, I’m confused.
24. “I aim to make you my Valentine. Can I be your big shot?”
Again, with the gunplay. Still, no, I don’t want to be your “big shot.”
25. “I’m fiddling while my heart burns for you, Valentine.”
It’s almost as if he’s a little Nero in the making. Since he seems like the boy who’d fiddle while everything around him goes up in smoke. Mostly because he started the fire.
26. “I’ve enlisted in Cupid’s Army.”
Apparently, Cupid sees no need to wear pants even in uniform. Seriously, what does he have against pants? And I hope he’s wearing underwear.
27. “Shine on me and make me glow, my Valentine.”
Did anyone notice how a lightbulb kind of resembles a pair of testicles? Maybe not until you saw this valentine. Kind of explains how men promise you love but they give you their balls.
28. “You’re so sweet- I can eat you up.”
Though it doesn’t sound quite right coming from a ferocious shark. After all, we’ve all seen Jaws.
29. “I’m fishin’ fer a little girl’s love.”
Note how he has the large gold fish between his legs. Seems suggestive for a boy doesn’t it? You can see why he wants a little girl’s “love.”
30. “I’ll hammer away till you’re mine.”
Hammering away till they’re yours isn’t a good relationship strategy. If she doesn’t want you, she doesn’t want you. Also, he’s totally nailing the heart.
31. Hope your valentine is out of this world.
See how the heart is strategically placed over the alien’s chest. Still, I think it’s supposed to be a girl given the eyelashes and pony tail.
32. “I’m gunning for you, Valentine! I aim to please you!”
The gun and holster image shows that this pertains to sex. Seriously, they don’t even try to imply it.
33. Looks like Cupid is staging a stick up.
Seems like he’s after love and money. Yet, he doesn’t seem intimidating wearing a golden belt with a holster.
34. “Pop! Pop!…will go this gun of mine as long as you’re my Valentine!”
Don’t think a boy should be putting his hand into a cannon. Else he’ll either end up in the ER or six feet under.
35. “Be my Valentine. I think you are a deer.”
You mean you think I’m someone to shoot at and make into food and clothes. Also, it’s cool for white kids to dress as Native Americans.
36. Happy Valentine’s Day from Officer Monkey.
And that monkey has a gun and a night stick. I think you want to watch out for him and run for the hills.
37. “I will have an axe to grind unless you’ll be my valentine.”
Boy isn’t messing around either. So accept him or he’ll hack you to pieces. Seriously, this is messed up.
38. “We’d be way out on Valentine’s Day.”
Didn’t know they had valentines of the Rolling Stones. Guess this one is Mick Jagger. Though you won’t get any satisfaction from this one.
39. “My heart’s zooming like a rocket for you, Valentine.”
And yet he’s holding onto a rocket shooting up into space. Note the phallic imagery as it’s situated between his legs.
40. Someone’s hunting for your heart.
The boy is on a boat with a gun and holding a gun. So run for the hills or he’ll bag you as a trophy.
41. So does a tennis player score at all when making love?
I bet the gist of this card is: “So do you think I’m great in bed?” But they used tennis motifs to make it seem wholesome when it’s not.
42. “You’re different, Valentine!”
Yet, this one features a tiki mask. Something that Polynesian people hold as a sacred image. Oh, commercialism, what will you debase next?
43. Green Arrow is aiming for his valentine.
Yet, unlike Cupid, I don’t think his arrows will make you fall in love with someone. Rather they’ll probably kill you. Also, he kind of resembles a sex dungeon Robin Hood.
44. He’s out to trap his valentine.
Sure he might be stalking for his valentine. But at least he’s got a blunderbuss. So he’s only got one shot.
45. “I want a good girl-bad!”
Yet, smoking a cigarette while being dressed in shorts and a sweater won’t help. Seriously, he reminds me of a pint-sized Victor McLagen from The Informer.
46. Of course, Valentine’s Day has its share of broken hearts.
Though this is just utterly ridiculous. Seriously, she might be sad. But she kind of makes me wonder if the designers were on drugs at the time.
47. Perhaps you might want to buy a watermelon.
Okay, this is really racist. Yeah, I know it was a different time. But still, the offensiveness must be noted. Also, see how the girl has bare feet and is smiling.
48. Want to do the hula for love?
Not sure if this is offensive. But what the hell is the girl wearing under her grass skirt?
49. Nothing says Valentine’s Day like the sound of a machine gun from the trenches.
What does Valentine’s Day have to do with a combat zone? Shouldn’t love be about promoting peace between nations? Not killing each other?
50. Want to propose to your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day? Send them this lobster valentine.
Well, chances are if you’re using a ring, you can’t afford a lobster dinner anyway. Still, lobster is a strange thing to put on a valentine.