Whether to fasten your clothing or just to make you look sharp, buttons have been made from almost every possible material imaginable. In 1918, the US government made an extensive survey on the international button market listing buttons made of vegetable ivory, metal, glass, galalith, silk, linen, cotton-covered crochet, lead, snap fasteners, glass, enamel, rubber, buckhorn, wood, horn, bone, leather, paper, pressed cardboard, mother-of-pearl, celluloid, porcelain, composition, tin, zinc, xylonite, stone, cloth-covered wooden forms, and papier-mâché. And they’ve been on almost every article of clothing imaginable like shirts, dresses, pants, shoes, jackets, coats, skirts, and even bags, wallets, and purses if you can count the last two. Also, they’ve been around a very long time in history as buttons and button type fasteners have been found in the Indus Valley Civilization, Bronze Age China, and Ancient Rome. But the functional buttons we know today were invented in 13th century Germany. As we all know, buttons can fall off or get lost from time to time. Then there are people who have so many loose buttons that they’re not sure what to do with them. Nevertheless, you’ll find buttons used on Pinterest for almost every known craft project imaginable. Some buttons are used to create pictures. Some to decorate lamps and furniture. However the case, here I bring you an assortment of them for your own reading pleasure.
- This buttoned family appears well fastened.
Well, it’s a familial display like a stick figure family on one’s car. And this one has a bunch of boys.A buttoned garden should have all kinds of flowers.
2. A buttoned garden should of all kinds of flowers.
Here we have buttoned flowers of all shapes and sizes. Though none seem to have leaves.
3. A buttoned tree is perfect for two lovebirds on as spring.
Though a swing won’t make an adequate nest. Also, it seems like autumn. Shouldn’t these two be flying south?
4. For a tractor, nothing runs like a Deere.
Because a Deere is one of the most recognizable tractors around. But have you ever seen a button version? I think not.
5. A salt shaker makes an excellent fastened bouquet.
I see this one is for a wedding. But you have to admire how these match the pearls.
6. You should see the kind of leaves you’ll find on a buttoned tree.
While most trees have green leaves, this one has leaves of all kinds. Because why not?
7. This button couple is very attached to one another.
Of course, these button sculptures wouldn’t be possible with wires to make them 3 dimensional. Still, I prefer the button pictures anyway.
8. Buttoned flowers look splendid in a vase.
These flowers even have their own petals of various designs. So lovely.
9. Anyone in Paris has to enjoy a buttoned Eiffel Tower.
Because the Eiffel Tower is pretty much the symbol of Paris, France. But they also have other famous landmarks, too.
10. A rainbow of buttons can always give you a smile on a rainy day.
But I’m sure most of these buttons come from a craft store. But it’s still quite beautiful.
11. The most pearly buttons should always be used for a crescent moon.
Well, it’s not exactly a pearly moon. But you have to admire the crescent shape and the stars.
12. A rooster always has to have a well fastened look.
Though you don’t always need to use flashy buttons on it. Still, great for a rustic farm setting.
13. For cloth napkins, may I suggest some well attached fruit decoration?
Well, these napkins don’t use as many buttons. But the concept is quite clever.
14. A painted Christmas tree can be resplendent with button ornaments.
You’d almost think they were painted on. But you’d be wrong. Still, it’s beautiful.
15. With button designs, it doesn’t matter what cloth you use.
Almost makes you think it’s a nebula. But it can be based on some acid trip for all you know.
16. A buttoned cat is always well-fastened.
Though this one uses buttons of all kinds of brown and black. So it’s not exactly a black cat.
17. For you pirate-minded folks, this buttoned skull and crossbones should suit your fancy.
Yes, the buttons may not be all of one size. But at least it bears a good resemblance.
18. Hope you appreciate some flowers from this dinosaur.
Guess this is for a little kid’s room. Yet, not sure how a dino can hold things with its tail. Then again, dinosaurs have been extinct for 65 million years.
19. If you liked The Very Hungry Caterpillar, then you’ll love this button picture.
Well, it’s a classic children’s book about a caterpillar that eats a lot. Still, the illustration is iconic.
20. For you maritime fans, may this one send you anchors away.
Seems easy to configure and uses all one color. But best if it’s sewn on white canvas.
21. Even unconventional buttons can have their own decorative value.
Never saw buttons like these before. Wonder if they were used solely for the pillow. Because that would make more sense.
22. Seems like this button tree has some degree of greenery.
Yes, but in various shades. Wonder if it’s a birch tree, too. Because the bark seems light.
23. For button flower leaves, may I suggest beads?
Though these don’t seem to be conventional flowers. Then again, it probably shouldn’t matter much.
24. Pastel buttons always go great on white tables.
Well, as long as the buttons are under a glass panel. But it’s lovely and adorable nonetheless.
25. There are plenty of buttons to make a rainbow heart.
Because who doesn’t love rainbows or heart? So pretty you can almost cry.
26. Speaking of rainbows, this circle of colors never seems to end.
Kind of reminds you of the Apple cursor spinner. Though I guess these were glued onto a paper.
27. This buttoned owl will surely give you a hoot.
After all, you have to admire its big eyes that seem all happy to see you. Nevertheless, this is certainly cute as a button.
28. Never thought I’d find a rainbow heart on a rock before.
Yes, it’s another rainbow heart. But this one has a different configuration and it’s on a rock.
29. This button tree has branches representing the 4 seasons.
Though no matter what season the tree is in, the branches seem quite bare to me. Also, the winter one isn’t suppose to have leaves.
30. This cardinal looks dignified perching on a branch.
Helps if its buttons are sewn on a burlap pillow. Perfect for rustic settings.
31. A buttoned bouquet should burst with vibrant color.
Yes, it’s another button flower bouquet. But this one has much more flowers together in a vase. Love it.
32. There’s nothing you can’t love about this metallic heart.
Well, it’s made from metallic buttons of all shapes and sizes. Yet, it certainly will go with any down home kitchen in the countryside.
33. Jasmine always shines in her sea green outfit.
By the way, there are quite of few Disney Princess button pictures you’ll see on this post. But I’m sure any Disney fan would adore it.
34. With pearl buttons you can decorate a wired heart.
Sure it might not look like much. But without the beautiful buttons, this wreath would be nothing.
35. All these cats are as cute as a button.
Actually they’re kind of freaking looking. But they’re made from buttons. So hence the pun.
36. Shakers make great vases for any kind of button bouquet.
They make great centerpieces, you don’t need to water them, and they never go bad you have to throw them out. And unlike some fake flowers, they don’t look tacky.
37. At a certain distance, you’d think this button tree was a painting.
Yes, I know I have a lot of button trees on here. But they’re a common motif. Also, this one has a whole set of leaves.
38. How about a tree with rainbow leaves?
Now that would be something I’d want to see. Unfortunately, trees don’t work that way. But you can always put rainbow buttons as leaves.
39. Button wildflowers look best in a field.
Almost thought these flowers were painted on. But they look fantastic.
40. Now that is a fantastic colored rooster.
Well, more colorful than the last rooster I put on. Love the tail feathers.
41. Hope this buttoned treble brings music to your ears.
I guess the bass clef wasn’t as elegant as this one. But it sure looks magnificent in black and white.
42. Nothing can make you resist this buttoned fox.
Not because it has a bushy tail and a head larger than its body. Still, it’s adorable.
43. A buttoned butterfly should have vibrant wings.
Even if most real butterflies actually don’t. Because why go with a dowdy monarch when you can have this?
44. Nighttime wild flowers are always well fastened near a lake.
Well, it’s a painting that uses buttons in such a scene. Love the button moon and flowers.
45. With these 2 buttoned glasses, please celebrate responsibly.
Yes, there are wine glass motifs for buttons as well. But this seems like it’s between a red and rose.
46. This white button wreath was sewn upon.
Wonder if this was used for a wedding or something. Still, it seems a bit flat.
47. Never thought I’d see buttons on a real wreath before.
Like how it’s also in purple and blue. So pretty I’d might want to put it on my door.
48. You’ll probably need so many pearl buttons to make a dress.
And you’ll probably need a lot of time on your hands to sew them all on. Yeah, I know it’s tedious work.
49. You’d never know what you’d find under this tree.
Well, it surely looks dazzling. Love all the button leaves of so many different colors.
50. This button lampshade really lets the light in.
And it uses buttons of all shapes, sizes, and colors. So pretty and so clever.
51. There’s nothing like this button flag from the US of A.
Though I’m sure most of these are made in China. Because most buttons are.
52. With enough buttons you can decorate a flower pot.
Best if you put them in a mosaic while it’s still clay. Or glue them on if the case may be.
53. A button tree almost sways in the autumn breeze.
And I see that some of them are already falling off. Because that’s what leaves do in a fall gust of wind.
54. Show your sweetheart love with this buttoned red heart.
After all, hearts are usually red aren’t they? I’m sure anyone would appreciate this.
55. This button mosaic is a fastened masterpiece.
Yes, it’s a button mosaic landscape. Not sure where that person got the buttons though I’m thinking craft store.
56. In life, adventure always awaits.
Yes, this is a house from Up. But this couple used this piece as a frame. So cute.
57. Nobody can resist a buttoned down panda.
Because pandas are adorable with their black and white faces. This one is no different.
58. Hope you can accept this buttoned rose.
I think this is part of some kind of collection. Yet, you have to love how they use the large red buttons. So pretty.
59. Never guess you’d find this colorful cat.
Hey, what did you expect? Sure colorful cats don’t exist in real life. But sometimes real life is boring.
60. Perhaps you might want some red flowers over yellow.
Well, this looks pretty nice. Like how the red button flowers really stand out in the white vase and yellow. And they even have leaves.
61. Nothing charms like a purple butterfly.
Even if they’re made from buttons with some resembling flowers. Wouldn’t mind having this one.
62. These button hot air balloons can take you to the sky.
Helps if they’re made from rainbow circles. Love these. So cute.
63. Perhaps a few jewels on a button heart.
Of course, the jewels aren’t real. But it surely makes the heart look more dazzling.
64. A blue button heart truly shines.
Well, it’s an unconventional color. But it certainly looks great on a wall.
65. With a button globe, you’d feel like traveling the world.
But don’t use this one to find countries. Because it’s in black and white and is only for show.
66. As on Up, adventure is out there.
Yes, it’s another Up house button display. But this one has a lot more buttons and it’s not used as a frame.
67. You might want to get a hold of this white owl.
Well, this isn’t the cutesy face owl. More of a shape. But it’s quite lovely in its own way nonetheless.
68. Seems like the colors change with every stripe.
Well, as you see on this heart anyway. But the background and button colors don’t match for a reason.
69. These button princess dresses are a tale as old as time.
Consists of Cinderella, Tiana, Belle, and Aurora. And they’re in blue, green, yellow, and pink respectively.
70. Thought I just saw a pink elephant pass me by.
Okay, it’s a pink button elephant with a small purple butterfly. And yes, it’s meant for a kid. Not a drunken hallucination.
71. Rainbow flowers really show up at night.
Well, sometimes a dark background is better. Though not exactly sure what these flowers are.
72. A button unicorn must always have vibrant colors.
Because unicorns are simply magical creatures. So pretty.
73. Now that’s a glass of real red wine.
Though normal red wine is usually a reddish purple. I know the colors don’t seem exact.
74. With enough buttons you can create a masterpiece.
Not sure what’s this supposed to be. Probably based on some acid trip.
75. Hope you enjoy this button wind chime.
Though I’m not really sure what kind of sound it would make. But at least it looks pretty.
76. There’s nothing like seeing a flamingo on the beach.
Though flamingos are beautiful creatures, they tend to be emblems of tackiness. Thanks to it being immortalized in lawn ornaments.
77. This elephant came with balloons.
This is for a baby, by the way. But yes, it’s quite adorable.
78. Now that’s a very regal fox.
Interesting it has a button with 8 holes. Not sure how that’s even possible.
79. Flowery white buttons always go well in a heart and frame.
That’s an interesting concept. Makes you think of spring for some reason.
80. A button hummingbird has to splash with vibrancy.
Though the hummingbirds you see are normally green and pink. But yes, this is lovely.
81. Get a look at this pretty seahorse.
And its buttons seem to match the background. Ocean lovers will adore this.
82. This seemed to get of by one note.
Well, a half note if you want to get technical. But the music sheet background is fitting.
83. It takes many buttons to make a heart.
And the buttons on this one are of all different colors on a canvas. So lovely.
84. A rubber duckie will but a smile on anyone’s face.
Because even in buttons duckies are so cute. Makes you want to hold it if it wasn’t glued to the paper.
85. With this button hot air balloon, you can dream big.
Well, hot air balloons seem to be a popular motif. Love the colors, too.
86. Sometimes button flowers can do with some real foliage.
Helps if you put them in a flower pot. But at least these will never wilt even when the plant will.
87. Buttons always look great around a mirror frame.
Though I’m not sure how many these are actually buttons. But I wouldn’t mind having this.
88. Now that’s a regal buck.
As with the owl, it’s more of a silhouette. But it’s one of great bearing, especially with the antlers.
89. Nothing should give you a hoot like this buttoned owl.
Yes, owls with large eyes are adorable. Also like the purple wings, too. So cute.
90. With this tree, you can watch the seasons.
Yes, it’s another 4 seasons button tree. And yes, at least the limbs get it right.
91. Make this Disney button portrait part of your world.
I’m sure Little Mermaid would like this one. Though Ariel is certainly not my favorite Disney princess though.
92. This buttoned sunflower is just what you need for summer days.
Well, it’s certainly vibrant with yellow flowers in imitation of the sun. But it’s not in season at the moment.
93. Seems like the sun is peaking from the clouds.
And yes, the sun is always seen as a pleasant image on any day. Except for people who get sun burned easily.
94. Buckeye fans might take to this button tribute.
Yes, it’s the Ohio State logo. And yes, it’s on a zigzag striped background.
95. White button flowers are great for a lampshade.
Well, it certainly matches the lamp. Though you can’t see all of it. Not that it matters.
96. How about some buttons on your bag?
Well, at least this one is rainbow colored. Yet, seems made by someone with too much time on their hands.
97. This peacock gives a dazzling feathery display.
Yes, this is a button peacock. And yes, the buttons are mostly blue and cyan. But it’s quite stunning.
98. Might want to take a look at this button starfish.
Sure it has no face. But the purple buttons certainly shine in all their glory.
99. Guess you’d want to feast your eyes on this buttoned castle.
This is supposed to be a rainbow Cinderella’s castle from Disney World. And yes, it’s certainly dreamy.
100. The moon in the sky always has to be pearly white.
And this one certainly has pearly white buttons in a crescent. Appears quite dreamlike if you get my drift.
That’s a lot of button crafts. Now I know what to do with my big box of buttons.
Wow, so many ideas. I have a big tin of buttons and never know what to do with them, now I have plenty of ideas!
Thank you for all the ideas!
I have a lots of buttons and I would like to get some of your patterns!